Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Charger question

Reaction score
I am new to the R/C community, and am trying to be safe with these batteries. Here's my questions, I have been using the charger supplied with the Q 500 4k and it's been working fine. But it takes too long to charge my 3 batteries ( planning to get more as budget allows) so I purchased an ultra power up120ac duo. It seems that I need to get two ec3 cables. Why dose the Yuneec charge with just the balance cable, but the U/P charger needs me to attach the ec3 also? Is there anyone else using one of these?

I bought the same one after getting the Q500. Love this charger. Just get 2 sets of the charging cables. When charging hook them up AND the balance cable.

2 packs, starting at 3.8v, charge up fully and balanced in less than an hour.

:D

but no answer. Why do you need to connect the ec3 cables and the balance cable to an aftermarket charger and not the Yuneec charger? Will it charge slower or at all with just the balance cable?

The Yuneec charger is a balanced charger. It does slowly charge the batteries. An aftermarket charger does it faster and balances each cell while charging.

Stock charger=slow and balanced.

Aftermarket=quicker and balanced.

That's all.

Run a search on this forum for LiPo's. There some videos that'll help explain balanced charging.

The Yuneec charger is a balanced charger. It does slowly charge the batteries. An aftermarket charger does it faster and balances each cell while charging.

Stock charger=slow and balanced.

Aftermarket=quicker and balanced.

That's all.

Run a search on this forum for LiPo's. There some videos that'll help explain balanced charging.
Thank you.

Because it is cheaper for them to send that charger. Yuneec and Blade send the same charger. The 350qx3 had the same charger. Takes too long. Go get the EC3 connector and use the big plugs on the batteries. Big = Faster, Small = Slower.....Humor!

I understand. I gained a wealth of knowledge from this site. I have a Hitec X2 ac plus, on the way with a pair of EC3's all thanks to the abundant information and the fabulous people some of which may be brilliant that can be accessed right here. I also think that I avoided some pitfalls thanks to you guys.

I am new to the R/C community, and am trying to be safe with these batteries. Here's my questions, I have been using the charger supplied with the Q 500 4k and it's been working fine. But it takes too long to charge my 3 batteries ( planning to get more as budget allows) so I purchased an ultra power up120ac duo. It seems that I need to get two ec3 cables. Why dose the Yuneec charge with just the balance cable, but the U/P charger needs me to attach the ec3 also? Is there anyone else using one of these?

As I understand it there are two ways to charge a lipo, which may (with specific chargers) be combined and automated.

Quick charge:- just uses the ec3 (in this case) power cables to bring the total battery voltage up to it's fully charged level

Balance charge:- just uses the indivdual leads going to each cell to bring all three cells up to the fully charged voltage.

The better chargers use the power leads to supply the bulk of the charge (quicky) at which point the remainder of the charge is trickled in through the ballance connector as demanded by individual cells.

Col.

When charging my batteries I bring the battery to full charge on the quick setting then switch to balance mode, takes a lot less time to discharge/recharge/balance. That's using a good hobby grade balance charger, I haven't used the one supplied once.

When charging my batteries I bring the battery to full charge on the quick setting then switch to balance mode, takes a lot less time to discharge/recharge/balance. That's using a good hobby grade balance charger, I haven't used the one supplied once.
A good charger with both types of lead connected will make that switch internally without you having to do a thing. In fact that's practically the whole point of having one.

Reactions: Fleamac
A good charger with both types of lead connected will make that switch internally without you having to do a thing. In fact that's practically the whole point of having one.
Yes it will but it's faster doing it the way I do. I didn't time it but I'd have to say nearly twice as fast. I charge all of them using fast mode and then check voltages, they are usually off a small amount, then 1 by 1 I put them on balance until all of them read the exact same. Maybe most people don't have as many batteries as I do (4) and one charger. But it's what works best for me until they are all broken in good using the 10-10 rule.

OK, 'faster' is a relative term. Lets get down to numbers.

I have 3 stock white Yuneec batts. Labeled 5400mah, but we know they're actually 6300mah.

After sitting in storage mode (3.8v) for a few days, using both balance and main lead cables, each charges in 48'ish minutes. I charge them at 5.0 amps in balance mode.

When recharging one that was just used and rested for an hour, it takes 65 min to charge in balance mode.

As a side note. when I'm done all batts get put in storage mode, 3.8v.

Reactions: Jimmer

I have 3 stock white Yuneec batts. Labeled 5400mah, but we know they're actually 6300mah.

After sitting in storage mode (3.8v) for a few days, using both balance and main lead cables, each charges in 48'ish minutes. I charge them at 5.0 amps in balance mode.

When recharging one that was just used and rested for an hour, it takes 65 min to charge in balance mode.

Still breaking in the new batts so they are not recharging from storage mode and I'm quite certain this may be the reason mine only take about half that amount of time to go full @ 6A and then in order 1-4 they get balanced which so far has only taken maybe 15 mins max each? Not sure on exact time but yeah I'm not having to wait over an hour per batt for certain.

Question- at what rate do you discharge. I have a Hyperion 720i and it will discharge at 5 amps. Is that ok or is slower better?

Another Question- This 6300mah... what is the deal with that? I have seen a few places that it is mislabeled.

after putting your batteries in "storage mode", is it considered safe to simply keep them in the drone case during long term storage? i figure now that winter is here i won't be using the drone for a few months.

after putting your batteries in "storage mode", is it considered safe to simply keep them in the drone case during long term storage?

'Safe' is a relative term. But they're shipped the way you suggest. But I don't know about long term storage that way.
Even after getting them down to 3.8v p/cell, I store them in a LIPO bag and in a vented ammo can.

That's just me.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval