Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Charging Typhoon H battery

Reaction score
I have the charging adapter to chrge my H batteries on a standard chrger. The batteries are 5400 mah. Can i charge them at 5.4 amps?

Bill W.

I have the charging adapter to chrge my H batteries on a standard chrger. The batteries are 5400 mah. Can i charge them at 5.4 amps?

Bill W.
If you are in a hurry to charge you can use 1C. However many people recommend half that charge rate to prevent swelling of the batteries.

Just for clarity, 1C does not equal 5.4.

1C stands for a charge current of 1 time the rated capacity of the battery. So for a 6400mAh battery, 1C would be 6400mA, which when you convert to amps is 6.4 amps. So you could charge the battery at 6.4 amps. If it was 2C then it would be twice that and a 6400mAh battery could be charged at 12.8 amps.

Ok...and as i understand it 1c is 5.4

Bill W.

Ok...and as i understand it 1c is 5.4

Bill W.

As the battery is reportedly a 6200mah and for some reason Yuneec label them as 5400mah, you can safely charge them at 6 amps which is still below the 1C charge rate.

My battery's have had 27 - 30 cycles on them and no sign of puffing they don't even get warm when being charged, I think one of the main causes of puffing/swelling is running then to lower voltage and then they get very hot.

I never let them get below 14.6 volts under load so as soon as I see 14.6 volts I'm landing, unless you have deep pockets and you fly them to the absolute maximum limit and don't mind purchasing new battery's prematurely, I've never flown any of my quads to the minimum lowest voltage.

Mostly my battery's have all been parallel charged and with over 30 various types of lipo's I have only had one battery fail prematurely in 3 years, and that was a genuine dji phantom 2 smart battery with just 30 cycles on it, it did not puff or swell but just failed in flight one second it was showing it was at 95% next few seconds it was dropping out of the sky, upon checking on various phantom forums other user had been experiencing the same odd battery in a giving batch.

So I got myself the Carolina Dronz Charging adapter. Hooked it up to the HiTec X2AC Plus and gave it a balanced charge at 4.0 Amps, for my Typhoon H Batteries.. Went with the balanced charge first. Now the charger was showing 15.31Volts. With the battery not even warm. I guess the question is, am I damaging the battery at that high of a Voltage? I used the PC interface as well to give me a more graphical idea of what was going on.

When fully charged and cooled down after the charge cycle the battery should show 16.6v. Your battery is not yet fully charged at 15.31v. If it will not rise above 15.31v you have a problem. Using the balance charge feature with a Hitec charger the charge cycle stops by itself. Read the charger's instruction pamphlet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a timer function for safety that is set to something too low for a full charge on these bigger battery's when using balance charge mode. I turned off my timer and I think there was a setting for max power transsfered to the battery. I set that.

In balance mode it can take a long time to charge it compared to fast mode so the timer is not ideal. The m aural should explain how to change or remove that.

It finally displayed 16.6v at the time of its completion of charging.Thanks for the info guys.
Any hints and tips on Discharging of batteries? The manual says to not do this unless your going to dispose of the batteries? I could just use the STORAGE mode instead?

It finally displayed 16.6v at the time of its completion of charging.Thanks for the info guys.
Any hints and tips on Discharging of batteries? The manual says to not do this unless your going to dispose of the batteries? I could just use the STORAGE mode instead?

When your done flying and don't plan to fly for a while charge them using storage mode. If your going to go out and fly within 24 hours balance charge them to full.

Never them leave them empty or full for long periods of time. Storage mode if for that long term storage.

I never use discharge mode. Storage mode will discharge a full batttery you didn't use to proper voltage for storage. No need for discharge.

Reactions: Michael South
When your done flying and don't plan to fly for a while charge them using storage mode. If your going to go out and fly within 24 hours balance charge them to full.

Never them leave them empty or full for long periods of time. Storage mode if for that long term storage.

I never use discharge mode. Storage mode will discharge a full batttery you didn't use to proper voltage for storage. No need for discharge.
Thank you for the info!

charger-20170627153348.jpg

Hi,
the 6amps charging would be alright , correct?
Do you think this charger is worth buying? To charge / storage charge the H batteries?

6 amps and the displayed battery info are fine. I'd have to download and read the instructions for your charger to say anything about that.

Thanks for your reply. Just wondering if this charger will do fine for a while, eventually I want to buy a charger that can handle 4 batteries at the time.

Just remember the more batteries they can charge the greater the power supply will have to be to provide enough amperage for each port, and heat generation at the charger increases as well. If a 4 port charger has inadequate cooling they burn themselves up at a young age. Even a 2 port charger gives up for that reason eventually. Heat is not an electrical component's friend.

I see, maybe I just try with 1 like in the picture and see how it goes and if it works well maybe it makes sense to buy a couple more instead of an expensive one that can charge more batteries?

If you are in a hurry to charge you can use 1C. However many people recommend half that charge rate to prevent swelling of the batteries.

The standard rate for charging LIPOs has always been 1C. Over the past couple years, new technologies have even allowed some (most? all?) modern LIPOs to charge at 2C, up to 5C. While I agree that charging at a slow rate (½C) may be better in the long run, none of my other LIPOs have puffed due to charging at 1-2C although I haven't charged the H's LIPOs with other than the stock charger. Unless the H's LIPOs have have something that specifically requires them to be charged at less than 1C, I do not think that charging them at 1C is going to cause then to puff.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval