Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Cold Weather Flying

Reaction score
Recommended? I'm sure this topic has been discussed before. I live in Minnesota, current temp 6 degrees haha... I'm itching to fly though. Is this okay or...?

Recommended? I'm sure this topic has been discussed before. I live in Minnesota, current temp 6 degrees haha... I'm itching to fly though. Is this okay or...?
Hey Gilly, I posted this question a couple weeks ago and CS came back with a reply of -5C which equals 22-23F. I have flown at -8-10C which is around the mid teens F

Haha i've taken necessary precautions there... i use handwarmers in my gloves and warmers in my feet. nothing is going to hold me back. i was just concerned if the motors or props will freeze up.

Hi, it -2 degrees when I flew yesterday. The Q worked great in the cold, me not so much.

Hand warmers work only a little but the face mask, base layers, and the typhoon g worked like a charm. If the wind ain't above 12....I delve

Hi guys
This is Mike G in Oldham England
I flew mine the other day in minus 2 degrees but to windy so only up for less than 5 minutes.
What lve started to do is warm the battles up first. I put them in a babies thermal bottle holder with a couple for re-usable gell warmers this gives me more flying time.
Happy flying.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
I've had mine up in -7c weather with 25km winds with no problems. Although it flipped a couple of times due to the wind.

Hey Fezzik, you don't consider flipping a problem?

It was a problem for me, but it wasn't due to the cold weather. It was the wind. It was my second flight, so I shut it down for the day... Nerve-racking but the typhoon handled it like a champ.

I live in Wisconsin. I flew mine the other evening in 15 mph winds and it -4 deg F.
The Q500 handled it well. Actually impressive how steady it was. I flew for about 15 min untill my fingers couldn't take any more!
Today I flew 3 flights on the frozen lake. It was a high of 16 deg F and about 5 mph winds. I got almost 20 minutes each flight.

I live in British Columbia Canada and flew mine at -10 degrees celcius, the camera had problems recording after 1/2 through the 2nd battery. The drone flew fine though. There is a bit more shake to the drone as the propellers become rigid in the cold, the camera gimbal takes care of the shaking though and it was not visible in the videos. At the end there was a film of frost on the propellers, I may need to de-ice them next flight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval