Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Cold Weather Strange Battery Behavior Poss. Issues Typhoon H

Ha,Sorry. A corn neck warmer is a horseshoe shaped cloth bag filled with corn kernels,or you can use rice. I microwave for 2-3 minutes Keith? usually used for sore neck! Keith
Not a bad idea

There on social media too. Facebook etc, this is a good reference/ website which has been posted on the forum many times, I've always had the analogy of voltage/ resistance in the cold has water through a pipe, the colder it gets slower/ thicker it flows, hotter it gets the quicker/thinner it flows.
Excellent analogy

Thinking about this analogy as it pertains to the cold weather and batteries. Not necessarily LIPO but the theory holds true I think If an automotive battery is not fully charged at 12.6 volts and is at 12 volts and it gets severely cold resistance builds up on the terminals and in the cables now this weaker battery has to work much harder to turn the motor. The weaker battery can not overcome the internal resistance and fails to start the car. In my case, the battery was not at 100% and the battery was cold to start with and the H battery had to work harder at full power then battery voltage fluctuation and reduced power when needed. At least I hope thas what was happening last Sunday but my previous flight was flawless.

How many times have you charged to full and left for a long period say more than two days? Do you have a function on your charger to measure internal resistance? Does the battery slide easily in and out of the copter?
Any puffiness/bloated appearance on the outside on the written part of the battery?
Not fully charged may not of helped, if it's rapidly depleting then you may have issues, bit like others have said try to bring the temperature up.
Mrgs1 what I used to do to get the heat up on my batteries before I got my battery warmer bags is put the batteries on the floor board of my truck with the heater blowing on the and check them with a temperature gun and when they get to 95* they were fine to fly with.

Reactions: metropolis
I had the same problem as the O/P, turns out my batteries are pretty much at the end of their useful life.

I have a small cooler bag, I think I got it from Tescos, I have the batteries warmed up in the hot press after being charged and put a hot water bottle into the cooler bag.

And you found that ok I never thought of that idea
I have a small cooler bag, I think I got it from Tescos, I have the batteries warmed up in the hot press after being charged and put a hot water bottle into the cooler bag.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelNiece