Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

compass calibration needed all the time?

Reaction score
What's the purpose of the compass calibration? Is it only to necessary to find satelites more quickly?

If I have done a calibration at home and I go to another region or country, do I have to do the calibration again, before I start flying?

Tx in advance....
newbee Ivo

What's the purpose of the compass calibration? Is it only to necessary to find satelites more quickly?

If I have done a calibration at home and I go to another region or country, do I have to do the calibration again, before I start flying?

Tx in advance....
newbee Ivo

Ivo,

The compass calibration is done to calibrate the compass. Can't get any more direct than that.

The GPS and satellite acquisition is a different topic.

When should you do a compass calibration?

1. After any firmware update.
  2. Whenever your flight location differs substantially from your previous flight(s). The prevailing opinion differs from a few miles to a hundred miles.
  3. If you have doubts, re calibrate. It does not hurt to re-calibrate as long as your location is conducive (clear of buildings, towers, any potential interference source.)

You will find plenty of other advice and opinion using the search on "compass" and "calibration" and hopefully in users manual documentation.

Happy flying!

Jeff

While we are on the subject, how many of you calibrate your smartphone compass? Or you automobile GPS Compass? I don't. So what is the real difference? This was something that was on my mind and now feel better that I got it out in the open. Ha.

While we are on the subject, how many of you calibrate your smartphone compass? Or you automobile GPS Compass? I don't. So what is the real difference? This was something that was on my mind and now feel better that I got it out in the open. Ha.

I calibrate my smartphone compass, typically before I can use it. Calibrate the GPS compass? Don't believe there is anything to calibrate. Never heard of such a thing. Compass and GPS are separate entities, are they not?

As for our drones, I also do not believe the compass and the GPS are on the same circuitry. One may compliment the other, but I have not heard of a GPS compass.

Am I missing something?

Jeff

Jeff,

No I don't think you are missing something. I really never thought about the Compass -vs- GPS Separation of their functions. I was just thinking after Calibrating my Q500 4k the other day that I really never calibrated my GPS Unit or Phone so why. But maybe I was not thinking in the right terms. Food for thought tho.

I have flown my Q500 4k the last year and never bothered to calibrate my GPS since I bought it. I just decided to do it the other day and got to thinking if it was flying well before, why go and re-calibrate.

How does one go about "calibrating the GPS ?"
I recalibrate my compass every so often for a few different reasons.
First, because it's suggested by the manufacturer to do it. Especially if you have traveled any significant distance from your last flight.I think the last time I read anything on that it was 20 miles or more...
Any time I do a software update or do any hardware changes, it's a given. you want to recalibrate everything.
And lastly, it takes less that a minute do to.Why wouldn't you want to play it as safe as you can.....
Jmo thanks.
Happy flying,
Jafo

How does one go about "calibrating the GPS ?"
I recalibrate my compass every so often for a few different reasons.
First, because it's suggested by the manufacturer to do it. Especially if you have traveled any significant distance from your last flight.I think the last time I read anything on that it was 20 miles or more...
Any time I do a software update or do any hardware changes, it's a given. you want to recalibrate everything.
And lastly, it takes less that a minute do to.Why wouldn't you want to play it as safe as you can.....
Jmo thanks.
Happy flying,
Jafo

Jafo,

Don't know the Q, but... I have not heard of any calibration of GPS. Letting a craft sit for a bit, powered on to allow for GPS information download and all that... yes. Especially after a firmware update and cache clear. The only calibrations to be concerned about are the calibrations available in your menus.

Further research and consultation of manuals for specific models, to confirm for your own sanity, is always a good practice. If in doubt, call the support line for the manufacturer. (I had written Yuneec, but decided to go generic in order to apply to all manufacturers.)

Hope this helps!

Jeff

I have flown my Q500 4k the last year and never bothered to calibrate my GPS since I bought it..

Hallelujah !!! I knew I couldn't be the only one. Last time I attempted calibrating, was at the time the P1 was going to P2. I got messed up somehow and the thing never flew properly again. Spent months attempting to straighten all that out. Thank you Ebay....... some unlikely somebody bought both the P1 & P2 [and became real good friends with the unknowledgeable support staffer at dji]

Anyhoooo..... I've been flying a Xero Explorer - Q500 and the Tornado. I have not calibrated any of the three. Each and every time I fly: I hover about 10' off surface and confirm there's no questionable drifting issues. I'll then do 50-75' and give it another 30 seconds. If it pass's all that.....then I'm off and flying. I've put 1,250 miles between different flying locations. Never had issues......yet

Hallelujah !!! I knew I couldn't be the only one. Last time I attempted calibrating, was at the time the P1 was going to P2. I got messed up somehow and the thing never flew properly again. Spent months attempting to straighten all that out. Thank you Ebay....... some unlikely somebody bought both the P1 & P2 [and became real good friends with the unknowledgeable support staffer at dji]

Anyhoooo..... I've been flying a Xero Explorer - Q500 and the Tornado. I have not calibrated any of the three. Each and every time I fly: I hover about 10' off surface and confirm there's no questionable drifting issues. I'll then do 50-75' and give it another 30 seconds. If it pass's all that.....then I'm off and flying. I've put 1,250 miles between different flying locations. Never had issues......yet
That is exactly how I take off..........Gives the bird time to get a solid lock on the sats.

That is exactly how I take off..........Gives the bird time to get a solid lock on the sats.

Yup, satellite's got it going on. I ain't about to argue with those things. And they seem to be treating some of us, quite well. As far as NORTH goes...... I think it's in the same place since like 1923.

The owners manuals instruct you to complete a GPS & Compass calibration. I'd never suggest anyone to ignore those instructions. And i'm not trying to be a smart azz -or- "rebel" by not following
the directions. Got allot of hours in the books over the course of the past 5 years, the only real damaging i've done, was my fault: Pilot Error

This was confusing for me when I bought my first drone in 2015.

I bought my first GPS in 1990, a Trimble Flightmate (aviation unit) then eventually used it in Mogadishu, Somalia never-ever recalibrating it on the other side of the planet. So when I started flying my first Yuneec, I was confused and the manual was not very clear and concise.

It has been easier to calibrate the compass in aircraft I've owned over the years than calibrating a compass for most drones. So, your question is a good one, don't let anyone belittle you by saying "read the manual."

In short, I never recalibrate any of my drones when I fly off the same chunk of land. If I drive 10 miles to fly, I'll recalibrate. AND, may I suggest you check the KP Index each and every (new day) that you fly, even if from the same chunk of land.

Lots of debate on both of these subjects and it's not always clear to newbies, and keep in mind, we were all "newbies" at one time or another and there is no such thing as a dumb question.

Blue skies to you, calm winds as well and have a great time going aloft.

UPDATE!!!

My drone crashed last month.
The reason was...a compass calibration error !!
Tomorrow, I send the drone back to Germany.
Let's hope it works out well, because it fell into the sea and I was able to recover it at -14m below sea level.
Neather the camera or the drone is working right now...

So...compass calibration is necessary !!

Ivo I don't think you will get a free replacement due to non calibration if it shows up on your flight log when yuneec check it

Ivo,

The compass calibration is done to calibrate the compass. Can't get any more direct than that.

The GPS and satellite acquisition is a different topic.

When should you do a compass calibration?

1. After any firmware update.
  2. Whenever your flight location differs substantially from your previous flight(s). The prevailing opinion differs from a few miles to a hundred miles.
  3. If you have doubts, re calibrate. It does not hurt to re-calibrate as long as your location is conducive (clear of buildings, towers, any potential interference source.)

You will find plenty of other advice and opinion using the search on "compass" and "calibration" and hopefully in users manual documentation.

Happy flying!

Jeff
I have to calibrate it every time even when I go to same location which is the park behind my house. It’s frustrsting that I can’t just take it out of its bag and fly it without having to flip it multiple times over in all axis

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval