Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass Calibration - Q500logkml

Reaction score
Yesterday analysed my fligthdata into the q500logkml tool from H. Elsner, and i saw that from of the latest update i have in each flight calibration warning, most of the entries in the table are at start and at end.
I can imagine that at start is has to do with starting up the H and at the end maybe caused by low battery.
In a flight with approx 30000 entries, 64 entries are calibration signals, the ranges are less then 1 second.
I wonder if i need to worrie about this.
I have no controller alert popping up. Normal user who dont analyze will not know.
So without analyzing i should have no worries i think.
Now i am curious if i need to be.
Any lights on this??

Compass Calibration Errors during Initialization (f_mode=16) are no problem at all. Maybe there is iron near the start/landing places. Only if status LED is orange, then do not start motors. Try another place! If you live in Magnitogorsk or in that area - your bad ;-).
During flight also not a problem if only short time. But problems often seen, if those Compass errors are persistent over longer period (> 5 sec). Then you have to calibrate compass and if this not helps, contact Yuneec service.

br HE

Reactions: Ruud Hogenberg
Compass Calibration Errors during Initialization (f_mode=16) are no problem at all. Maybe there is iron near the start/landing places. Only if status LED is orange, then do not start motors. Try another place! If you live in Magnitogorsk or in that area - your bad ;-).
During flight also not a problem if only short time. But problems often seen, if those Compass errors are persistent over longer period (> 5 sec). Then you have to calibrate compass and if this not helps, contact Yuneec service.

br HE
Thank you Herr Elsner,

Again using your programme i saw f_mode=3 angle mode and 32 error_flag, its less then a second.
I have used your dashw.csv for input i my access database, reason for this is you have added the altitude :) i saw also in my csv a altitude >120m, in your app i saw is was 9 meter lower. I think you did telemetry_alt - remotegps_alt = correct altitude ?

Is there also something with speed you can add in your dashw.csv output ?

Last edited:
I have the same sometimes with my Q500. No problems at all. This is no guarantee but a good hint.

br HE
I have used your dashw.csv for input i my access database, reason for this is you have added the distance from start :) i saw also in my csv a altitude >120m, in your app i saw is was 9 meter lower. I think you did telemetry_alt - remotegps_alt = correct altitude ?

Is there also something with speed you can add in your dashw.csv output ?

Last edited:
The output for dashware needs to meet the requirement of the already available profile. This has the same structure aus the Yuneec Telemetry plus some additional columns for 'distance from start' and 'altitude'. The original altitude from telemetry is renamed to 'Ascent'. This column contains the value from Telemetry. The Column 'Altritude' contains the hight (taken from ST16 GPS data at the start-moment and kept as constant for the rest of the flight) plus the Ascent value. This is a workaround to get the absolute height without needed internet service.
The speed is in the column 'tas' in m/s. This is from original telemetry data.

br HE

Last edited:
Reactions: Ruud Hogenberg
I just sent my H and ST16 back to Yuneec 2 days ago to have it checked/repaired . I bought it in Oct and finally got a chance to fly it 2 weeks ago. It had the latest firmware updates and calibrations done. I only flew it 2 times and calibrated the compass before each flight. I was in a wide open field with no obstructions. During both of my flights the first several minutes seemed ok. Then I got numerous lost of GPS warnings and compass warnings. It would fly erratically and was difficult to control. Both times when I tried to land it wouldn't land. It would get down to about 15' or so and hover around. It was well outside the safety circle. Then after several climb and decent attempts if finally landed. Then after it landing it tried to flip it self over. I was able to shut the motors off before it did. I was lucky it didn't crash or fly away. I'm guessing I have a bad GPS board and/or compass. I called Yuneec and told them what happened. They told me to send it in to be checked.

Herr Elsner,

Thank you for your answers, i do have some questions and sincerely i hope you are willing to answer again :)
I used the converted dashw data from your application to my access database and then i found out you use some filters, e.g. for a particular day your system counted 23729 entrys, the converted data counts 19679 entry wich is 4050 less. What filter did you use for this?

Further i noticed that the fmode contains new data, meaning that there is now a 32 entry and your manual describes only to 29, so i do think there should be a 30 and 31 too.
Could it be that when loading data in your system, these entries will be skipped because its not in the list ??

Having much more questions but i dont want to strech to much.
If anyone else know, please shoot too.

count_fmodes_Q500logtokml_originalTelemetry.PNG Relationsships_TyphoonH.PNG

(hexacopterdata =q500log2kml data)

Regards Ruud

Hi Ruud,

you are right, the dashw output (as well as the the other converted data formats) is filtered. The reason is to make it easier to synchronize with the video. I supress all datasets with implausible data (exorbitant altitude, no GPS data) and with flight modes that are not used during flight (i.e calibrations, initialization).
And, yes, Flight Mode 32 is also supressed. This is a fault. It should be there. In the German Version it is already correctd - in the english version it will come soon.
It is said, that f_mode 32 belongs to IPS but I'm not sure. I do not have a Typhoon H and so I cannot test this. If you have a H with RealSense you may be able to check IPS usage. If ST16 shows IPS and f_mode = 32 is at the same time active then we have an evident. I would like it, if you can confirm f_mode 32.

Please do not hestitate to ask questions. I cannot promise to be fast, but I will try to answer all sooner or later...

br HE

Hi Ruud,

you are right, the dashw output (as well as the the other converted data formats) is filtered. The reason is to make it easier to synchronize with the video. I supress all datasets with implausible data (exorbitant altitude, no GPS data) and with flight modes that are not used during flight (i.e calibrations, initialization).
And, yes, Flight Mode 32 is also supressed. This is a fault. It should be there. In the German Version it is already correctd - in the english version it will come soon.
It is said, that f_mode 32 belongs to IPS but I'm not sure. I do not have a Typhoon H and so I cannot test this. If you have a H with RealSense you may be able to check IPS usage. If ST16 shows IPS and f_mode = 32 is at the same time active then we have an evident. I would like it, if you can confirm f_mode 32.

Please do not hestitate to ask questions. I cannot promise to be fast, but I will try to answer all sooner or later...

br HE

Thank you so much, and for sure i will test it. Need to think about how to make a test sequence, but will manage that.

I will fire more questions later. For now i thank you. :)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marcojanson67