Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass calibration

Reaction score
Hi all.
Does anyone know when you need to calibrate the compass, both on Typhoon that the Wizard?
Thanks in advance for any response.

Matter of personal choice in terms of security/confidence.

As long as you are well away from structures, metal, paving (which may be laced with re-bar) etc. then you cannot over calibrate your compass.

If you aren't traveling far from original location/area may not be really necessary but no harm in doing so.

Making the sequence a habit is not a bad thing, maybe superfluous but hey, at the least the bird will always know where it's at. :)

Reactions: Typhoon Charlie
Question on the calibration....when you are flipping the H around as part of the calibration process, does your camera/gimbal try to orient itself? Isn't that hard on the motors/gears?

That was a worry I had while calibrating mine. Felt like the camera and gimbal were all over the place.

The more you calibrate the better you become. I like to know as much as i can on something I didn't build. Yuneec helps me do this.

I always remove the camera before calibrating.

It may well be safe to leave it en situe but It would give me the heebie jeebies.

Easy enough to remove and replace.

At more than $500 a pop I would hate to watch it take a dive.

Better safe than sorry.

I always remove the camera before calibrating.

It may well be safe to leave it en situe but It would give me the heebie jeebies.

Easy enough to remove and replace.

At more than $500 a pop I would hate to watch it take a dive.

Better safe than sorry.
You guys must be psychic. I was wondering about and worrying about the same thing yesterday when calibrating mine. Seems even upon a cursory glance at the gimbal during the compass cal process that it's taking some punishment during the process. This can't be good for it.

Is that the general consensus then? Better to remove the entire assembly before proceeding with the calibration?

Is there a video or does someone have a step-by-step guide for removing and reinstalling the gimbal? I've never done it before.

If you need to do a calibration at new locations and the best practice would be to always remove the gimbal, to me that would introduce potential for damaging parts or not aligning things properly.

Reactions: PRnNJs FINEST
It's just a small pin at the top-front of bird. Push up, slide gimbal out. Reverse to reinstall. Really easy. Easy peasy Japanesee. So easy, even a caveman can do it.

Absobloodylutely ... EZ

There is a rubber thumb-press shaped protrusion at the front of the gimbal mount which stops the device from sliding forward and off the mount.

Press and slide assembly forward to remove from bird (if using the "pigtail" link unplug that first)

There is an arrow symbol on the assembly to show which way to slide it back on, just in case you face the camera backwards

Same mounting and removing procedure on the steadygrip.

Reactions: n3srj
Absobloodylutely ... EZ

There is a rubber thumb-press shaped protrusion at the front of the gimbal mount which stops the device from sliding forward and off the mount.

Press and slide assembly forward to remove from bird (if using the "pigtail" link unplug that first)

There is an arrow symbol on the assembly to show which way to slide it back on, just in case you face the camera backwards

Same mounting and removing procedure on the steadygrip.

Also give you a chance at the same time to check the condition off the contacts..I know what your thinking buts its still good to keep them clean and shiny for good contact..:)

Reactions: Ddraiggoch

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace