Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Consumer Electronics Show 2019

RTK version available in 6 weeks

P.S.: we'll have to see reviews because the numbers they're announcing are too good. Millimeter range, in 30 seconds?

Who uses a digital zoom today?
And that will be in 4K or 1080p? I would understand better in 1080p. To see, but there is more important to solve

When people ask me if my drone has zoom I always answer: Yes the drone has a very advanced high intelligence 4D zoom function, wait a while and then show them the stick movement Up/Down & Forward/Backward :)

I think Yuneec is copying Parot's Anafi drone. The idea here I believe is that video doesnt use the whole image sensor. All they are doing is interploating. If its practical and gives a good image at 1080p then I'll use it!

I think Yuneec is copying Parot's Anafi drone. The idea here I believe is that video doesnt use the whole image sensor. All they are doing is interploating. If its practical and gives a good image at 1080p then I'll use it!
If you want digital zoom, just view any image at 400% in whatever software et voila! You certainly wouldn't be able to win any prizes for a digitally zoomed image - and no editor would want to publish it.

I understand the issues with digital zoom with respect to image quality.

What I am hopeful for, is the usability of this digital zoom “during” flight to allow for a better look at a particular subject without having to move the aircraft closer to potential obstacles. I can see it’s applicability in this regard.

I’d love to have that ability if only to determine if proceeding is both safe and worth the risk.

Just a thought.

Jeff

I don't know why so much problem with this functionality. Anyone who understands a minimum of photography knows that a digital zoom is at the cost of quality loss. From there? Whoever uses it and whoever don't use it.

We spend too much time asking for new features for our birds like now despising one.

But I think it's perfect to expose the problems of digital zoom.

Don't you think it's worth talking about the rest of the functions? :p

The H520 is used by a lot of public safety organizations and the zoom function is something that has been requested by many organizations.

The H520 is used by a lot of public safety organizations and the zoom function is something that has been requested by many organizations.
Well yeah but on the H520 it makes sense since the H520 is made mostly for inspection and mapping. On the H Plus that are made for creative photographers and video makers the zoom on the St16s is really not that useful.

I don't even think that it is gonna zoom on the image that are captured but only zoom on the screen on the St16s

However it makes sense that they are activating it because it the same code for both models.

However it makes sense that they are activating it because it the same code for both models.
Exactly. If the provided it on the E90 and not on the C23, then some Plus owners would be upset.

The zoom feature is useful for Search and Rescue, not so much for taking pictures, but to get a closer look on the screen of anything of interest. It's much more efficient than trying to fly in for a closer look. Zooming in and out can speed up the coverage of a given area and therefor increase the area that is filmed.
I wouldn't discount the H Plus for this purpose. Many SAR volunteers are photographers who use their own equipment as needed, particularly in rural communities.

......If the H plus was rated for commercial work. But it's not! Its marketed as a photography drone.... who the **** uses digital zoom for photography. It's a useless plug on their behalf to advertise and update saying that is a feature.

They did the same **** which is... we screwed a
Up.. here's an update so you can buy the next drone that has the features.

Well at least its FREE and will be useful for some. You cant please ALL the people ALL of the time. I think for S&R and Inspection works its a good feature. It could also be useful for photography as you can safely zoom into an area of interest without fear of crashing your bird, then zoom out and take some shots.

As a Parrot Anafi owner also, I welcome the digital zoom addition to the H Plus.
As said by others before me, it is a useful addition - at least for me - when you want to check quickly a spot without having to actually fly there.

It should be noted that currently the still images on the E90 use the full frame of the sensor (5472x3648 pixels). I doubt the zoom will be used here.

However if you notice currently that when you switch from stills mode to video mode on the ST16s, that the view on appears to 'zoom in'. That is because for video it is only using the central area of the sensor.

I suspect that what will happen is that the video framing will now start at the same framing as for images. This is vastly too much information even for 4k which maxes out at 3840 x 2160 pixels, therefore the camera will interpolate the video resolution down from 5472x3648 to 3840x2160. Then it will most likely allow you to zoom to the central area down to 3840x2160 (therefore optical zoom, in their description). Beyond that down to the central 1280x720 (720p HD) this will be digital zoom, with the resultant quaility loss versus your recording resolution.

So I doubt this will replace the E50, but will definately have its uses. Probably more for the industrial inspection and emergency services lot than for videographers.

I wonder if the comment of only 4x zoom on the ST16s is then a compromise for situational awareness of the pilot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis