Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Controller direction question

Reaction score
I just started using my Typhoon H. My previous drone, when you press "up" on the direction stick, it would always move the drone forward in relation to the front of the drone. I noticed with the TH, it doesn't do that. With the TH, "up" always will go west, no matter which way the drone is facing.

I switched the controller mode around - all four modes, but none of those modes seems to be the one I want. When I press "up" on the controller, I would like the drone to move forward in the direction the drone is facing. Does anyone know how I can set the drone/controller to do that?

If you set the controller to angle mode and move the right controller forward it moves in the direction the drone is facing. If you have it in smart mode moving the stick forward it will move away from you. If you pull the stick back it will move toward you no matter the direction the drone is facing.

Not sure what you mean by all four modes, there are only two modes and return to home.

Reactions: Malikye
If you set the controller to angle mode and move the right controller forward it moves in the direction the drone is facing. If you have it in smart mode moving the stick forward it will move away from you. If you pull the stick back it will move toward you no matter the direction the drone is facing.

Not sure what you mean by all four modes, there are only two modes and return to home.
The mode I was taking about is within the "Settings" option.
Thank you for your help!

Good Lord, you don't seem at all to understand how your system works. The modes you describe are there for people to set up their controller in a manner that is the same as used for most controllers in a geographic area. The U.S. uses mostly Mode 2, where pitch and roll are on the right stick, and throttle and yaw on the left. Some places use transmitters set up differently with throttle and yaw on he right stick.

Regardless of what transmitter mode you choose, assigned stick functions work the same. One stick will control two functions, what those are is on you when you start fooling with transmitter modes, which should not be confused with flight modes. The ST-16 has but two flight modes, Smart and Angle, with an option to fly Angle mode with GPS turned on or off.

Since you've changed the transmitters original stick configuration, establish which stick controls pitch, which controls roll, which one yaw, and which one controls throttle. Or pick the transmitter mode that arranges stick control functions in the manner you most prefer. After that learn the actual flight modes and how aircraft orientation impacts direction of flight in each. Read up on Smart Mode to understand that's the only mode where aircraft orientation does not matter to stick input, but also recognize that you can't fly close to yourself in Smart Mode. If you try to do so the H will not respond, or respond in a manner that moves the H away from you to one side or the other. Understand that when flying directly overhead in Smart Mode the controls may appear to reverse themselves as it passes overhead. Just turn around and all will be back to the state it functioned earlier.

Just in case you didn't know, the part of the H with the two round shiny openings underneath is the front.

Good Lord, you don't seem at all to understand how your system works. The modes you describe are there for people to set up their controller in a manner that is the same as used for most controllers in a geographic area. The U.S. uses mostly Mode 2, where pitch and roll are on the right stick, and throttle and yaw on the left. Some places use transmitters set up differently with throttle and yaw on he right stick.

Regardless of what transmitter mode you choose, assigned stick functions work the same. One stick will control two functions, what those are is on you when you start fooling with transmitter modes, which should not be confused with flight modes. The ST-16 has but two flight modes, Smart and Angle, with an option to fly Angle mode with GPS turned on or off.

Since you've changed the transmitters original stick configuration, establish which stick controls pitch, which controls roll, which one yaw, and which one controls throttle. Or pick the transmitter mode that arranges stick control functions in the manner you most prefer. After that learn the actual flight modes and how aircraft orientation impacts direction of flight in each. Read up on Smart Mode to understand that's the only mode where aircraft orientation does not matter to stick input, but also recognize that you can't fly close to yourself in Smart Mode. If you try to do so the H will not respond, or respond in a manner that moves the H away from you to one side or the other. Understand that when flying directly overhead in Smart Mode the controls may appear to reverse themselves as it passes overhead. Just turn around and all will be back to the state it functioned earlier.

Just in case you didn't know, the part of the H with the two round shiny openings underneath is the front.

Well said, that's why so many people are having problems and crashes as they don't read the manual. It's imperative to read and understand the manual or if you have problems with that then there is always YouTube. Maybe then this forum would be more positive than negative.

Reactions: abinder
I just started using my Typhoon H. My previous drone, when you press "up" on the direction stick, it would always move the drone forward in relation to the front of the drone. I noticed with the TH, it doesn't do that. With the TH, "up" always will go west, no matter which way the drone is facing.

I switched the controller mode around - all four modes, but none of those modes seems to be the one I want. When I press "up" on the controller, I would like the drone to move forward in the direction the drone is facing. Does anyone know how I can set the drone/controller to do that?

Interesting...Let us know if you get it working the way you want.

On the off chance you are trying to use the game controller buttons to fly with the ST-16, those are disabled and will do nothing. Use the sticks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech