Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

crashed with real sense.

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have a question.
This week my typhoon h crashed by using the real sense.
For one of the other reason it flew upwards in the trees and crashed.

Explanation of the reseller was that the real sense just worked fine because it choose to go up probably there was lost of satellites.
I thought this was strange because real sense was also developed for use in forest.

Then he told me that there is a setting you can choose in case of signal lost.
For example when you fligh in a tunnel then you don’t want the drone to go up but just goes hovering
You can choose that it will hover and stay at altitude till signal is back, go up to home altitude ( this is what happend according seller) or choose for auto land.

Strange thing is that he could not tell me how to configure this but he was sure it could be done because all drones have these options.

Has anyone ever heard of this and can tell me how to configure this.

Thanks,
Hendrik

Hello Hendrik,

Sorry for your crash. Your reseller may not have a great knowledge of the Typhoon H. What you relate him saying sounds weird to me.

I apologize in advance for a series of questions designed to help me and other pilots here help you figure out what happened.

Have you flown successfully before this flight?

What mode were you flying in?
- Angle Mode? Smart Mode? Watch Me Mode? Follow Me Mode?
Was Obstacle Avoidance engaged?
Was RealSense enable in the ST16?

First of all, never fly in a tunnel. You will lose GPS and the Typhoon H will not know were it is. I think the setting your reseller was referring to was the ability to turn off GPS in the ST16 controller and fly by sticks alone. If you're not skilled flying without GPS this could result in a pile of plastic you used to know as your Typhoon H.

More questions likely to follow as you answer these.

Hello Hendrik,

Sorry for your crash. Your reseller may not have a great knowledge of the Typhoon H. What you relate him saying sounds weird to me.

I apologize in advance for a series of questions designed to help me and other pilots here help you figure out what happened.

Have you flown successfully before this flight?

What mode were you flying in?
- Angle Mode? Smart Mode? Watch Me Mode? Follow Me Mode?
Was Obstacle Avoidance engaged?
Was RealSense enable in the ST16?

First of all, never fly in a tunnel. You will lose GPS and the Typhoon H will not know were it is. I think the setting your reseller was referring to was the ability to turn off GPS in the ST16 controller and fly by sticks alone. If you're not skilled flying without GPS this could result in a pile of plastic you used to know as your Typhoon H.

More questions likely to follow as you answer these.

Hello there.

Answers to you’re questions:
Have you flown successfully before this flight? Yes, many times

What mode were you flying in? Follow Me Mode

Was Obstacle Avoidance engaged? Yes

Was RealSense enable in the ST16? Yes

Hendrick,

Please share more about the flight before the TH climbed the tree, Time of day, speed, winds, etc.

Ron

If you flew under a canopy of trees and it detected obstacles in front of it and you were moving forward it would rise to try and keep up with your path

Hendrick,

Please share more about the flight before the TH climbed the tree, Time of day, speed, winds, etc.

Ron
I have a smal film that was made by the cgo app.
Used this app because the video card wasn’t mounted.
Hendrick,

Ron

time was 14.00
Not windy at all.
A bit cloudy but not to bad.

If you flew under a canopy of trees and it detected obstacles in front of it and you were moving forward it would rise to try and keep up with your path

That is exactly what happened It was in follow me mode.
At the moment I walked back the drone also went back and at the moment I decided to go left to draw keep going backwards into it on a path.
When I walked back to look look where my drone was going,it decided to go up into the trees.
So in theory it at all the things that should have done but in real life it shouldn’t have done that I think .
Why does the drone decide to go upwards in the forest I think that’s the most dangerous place to be it must have to decide not to go Up but stay in place or what ever other decision it could make.
Anything but upwards.

That is exactly what happened It was in follow me mode.
At the moment I walked back the drone also went back and at the moment I decided to go left to draw keep going backwards into it on a path.
When I walked back to look look where my drone was going,it decided to go up into the trees.
So in theory it at all the things that should have done but in real life it shouldn’t have done that I think .
Why does the drone decide to go upwards in the forest I think that’s the most dangerous place to be it must have to decide not to go Up but stay in place or what ever other decision it could make.
Anything but upwards.

First point: there are only OBS sensors on the front and bottom of the TH with RealSense. None on the sides and none on the back or top.

Second point: if it sees an obstacle in front of it the TH will stop/slow either try to go around or rise to try to go over it.

Last edited:
First point: there are only OBS sensors on the front and bottom of the TH with RealSense. None on the sides and none on the back or top.

Second point: if it sees an obstacle in front of it the TH will stop/slow either try to go around or rise to try to go over it.

I understand this all but I still think it is strange that chooses to go up.
why doesn’t it stay hovering or why isn’t there a setting that it contains Heights?
If it doesn’t see where he goes why should it go up? This is asking for problems.
Real sense must have this option in the future.
If it doesn’t see it don’t go there.

It goes up because if the vast majority of cases, gaining altitude will be the most reliable way to clear an obstruction. By attempting to use the system in that kind of forested area, YOU are setting up the circumstances of cutting off your aircraft's programmed Plan B escape route. You as a pilot must be smarter than RealSense and understand the limitations... your Typhoon H did not crash because of RealSense... you did that all on your own.

It goes up because if the vast majority of cases, gaining altitude will be the most reliable way to clear an obstruction. By attempting to use the system in that kind of forested area, YOU are setting up the circumstances of cutting off your aircraft's programmed Plan B escape route. You as a pilot must be smarter than RealSense and understand the limitations...

How can I be smarter than the real sense if it was in my first 5 minutes flying with real sense?
The only thing I could do was look at YouTube films made by Yuneec and try to do the same.
And in this case a YouTube film of Yuneec was my only holding because they don’t deliverer any instruction with the real sense.
Only a 5 step plan how to install the real sense.
If you have to figure it out yourself you can never be smarter than the real sense.
It was my first flight with it!!

And what Yuneec RealSense video demonstrated flying in a forested area? How many YouTube Videos have you seen that demonstrate using the Follow Me mode in a tight area like that? Any I have seen involve fairly wide open areas... like following a car or a rider on horseback. Any of these automated flight modes require a fairly wide leeway of variability in the flight path, and must be accommodated for.

Reactions: stan55
And what Yuneec RealSense video demonstrated flying in a forested area? How many YouTube Videos have you seen that demonstrate using the Follow Me mode in a tight area like that? Any I have seen involve fairly wide open areas... like following a car or a rider on horseback. Any of these automated flight modes require a fairly wide leeway of variability in the flight path, and must be accommodated for.

I have seen enough films before I went out for test it my self.
I’m not here to get told of, I’m here to learn.
I don’t think I can learn from you.
You’re just trying to say that I am dumb and real sense is smart.

If you try to help me and, I would appreciate that, otherwise please don’t react in this post with comments I can’t do anything with it.

My intent here is not to belittle you or patronize you... I hope you discover the cause of the crash.

Last edited:
My intent here is not to belittle you or patronize you... I hope you discover the cause of the crash.

I would have guessed otherwise when you tell somebody to know better when he’s going out for the first fight with the real sense.
I hope to get help also
Thanks for setting this straight.

I understand this all but I still think it is strange that chooses to go up.
why doesn’t it stay hovering or why isn’t there a setting that it contains Heights?
If it doesn’t see where he goes why should it go up? This is asking for problems.
Real sense must have this option in the future.
If it doesn’t see it don’t go there.

All good points that I really have no answers for.

When advertised by Intel and Yuneec the fly up behavior was demonstrated In the videos. There is little documentation beyond what you see in the videos. What I get from the videos and Intel docs are the mapping capabilities and the ability to store those maps. I have no idea what Yuneec did in applying the RS capabilities in the TH beyond the videos.

There is a new version of RealSense availabile for the TH+ but no info on how it differs in capabilities or how it behaves. It seems unlikely that they’ve added more sensors.

Without RealSense the normal OBS in the TH will stop and wait for the pilot to figure out what to do when it encounters an obstacle.

FWIW I’m just a pilot like you and not in anyway associated with Yuneec other than buying their products.

I don’t think @Eagle's Eye Video meant to belittle you. Most people explore new features and capabilities in baby steps until they are comfortable that they fully understand them.

Last edited:
Hendrik, if you are convinced that there was defect in how the RealSense worked in your circumstances, then you should submit the telemetry to Yuneec as a warranty claim. Yuneec has proven time and again, that if the telemetry shows that the system failed to perform, they will repair or replace the unit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alvaro