Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

D*** the torpidos, full speed ahead!

Reaction score
:mad:I believe that is the approach the FAA is taking with their RID NPRM. Those of us, who don't have millions of dollars to spend, are going to end up with some exspensive paper weights. It has been announced that, by the end of 2021, they are going to have the final rule in place, and they are not veering away from it being internet based.

• Angry
Reactions: Mike Irish
As I understand it they are under intense pressure from Homeland Security, law enforcement, and other agencies to implement this ASAP. However, even if they make zero changes to the NPRM in the final rule there is still a 2 to 3 year window for full implementation, so we will have at least a small reprieve on our execution.

• Sad
Reactions: Mike Irish
And every time some nit wit decides he can do something like fly along side the Blue Angels, our world draws more scrutiny and this is the result. As @Phaedrus mentions the full implementation is years away and regardless of what we think it will really be; it is likely not going to be that bad or that expensive.

As I understand it they are under intense pressure from Homeland Security, law enforcement, and other agencies to implement this ASAP. However, even if they make zero changes to the NPRM in the final rule there is still a 2 to 3 year window for full implementation, so we will have at least a small reprieve on our execution.
The first likely more so than the latter. They all want their cake and eat it too.

...it is likely not going to be that bad or that expensive...

I agree. It's going to open a whole new product and service market, and the first ones to meet it quickly and inexpensively will be the next millionaires. Any that try to corner it and make it prohibitive $$$ wise will fail.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
At least the TH could be made to fullfill the Limited Remote Identification UAS, just tell me where to upload the flight data. ;)
And if an aftermarket transmitter for fulfilling the Standard Remote Identification UAS becomes available, retrofitting that would be possible too... ;)

And that is what I think @Fred Garvin is saying; when all of this is implemented, those with enough foresight to see what the market will need to comply will find a way to do it quickly, simply and as inexpensive as possible. I imagine some are already working on a add-on device that could retrofit to a previous drone that does not have the technology already in it. Keep in mind, your average cell phone already has everything needed to comply. ;)

I agree with @Fred Garvin and @Ty Pilot , but here in NE Montana cel towers are few and far between, even along the major routes. Thus, there are huge areas that have absolutely no service. Where you do have service, it's spotty at best.

I agree with @Fred Garvin and @Ty Pilot , but here in NE Montana cel towers are few and far between, even along the major routes. Thus, there are huge areas that have absolutely no service. Where you do have service, it's spotty at best.
I'm in the same situation. Flying in remote areas will make it impossible to comply. I expect there will simply be non-compliant flights in those areas. These areas are ignored in the requirement and will likely be ignored for compliance.

...Flying in remote areas will make it impossible to comply...

How so? As long as the bird is transmitting the required info, you're good to go. Doesn't matter if anyone is there to receive it.

How so? As long as the bird is transmitting the required info, you're good to go. Doesn't matter if anyone is there to receive it.
And if nobody is there to receive it, it won’t matter. Just like the tree falling in the forest, if nobody is there to hear it did it really fall?

so todays drones aready comply with the new serial number system that has not been enacted yet? both hardware encoded and serial number labeled right from the manufacture when it was manufactured right off the assembly line? if not it will not be in compliance with no pathway to be come compliant with the new regulations.

And every time some nit wit decides he can do something like fly along side the Blue Angles, our world draws more scrutiny and this is the result. As @Phaedrus mentions the full implementation is years away and regardless of what we think it will really be; it is likely not going to be that bad or that expensive.

Just going by what the NPRM said. Now they could pull a fast one and declare it an emergency rule and make full implementation required immediately. Let's hope they don't go down that road.

Reactions: rchrdbarnard2
regardless of what we think it will really be; it is likely not going to be that bad or that expensive.

I guess that depends on your point of view. It is going to have a devastating effect on the RC model airplane hobby. As far as expense, well, I guess having to replace your entire fleet with RID compliant sUAS is a matter of degree. It could be very expensive.

Reactions: rchrdbarnard2
so todays drones aready comply with the new serial number system that has not been enacted yet? both hardware encoded and serial number labeled right from the manufacture when it was manufactured right off the assembly line? if not it will not be in compliance with no pathway to be come compliant with the new regulations.
Manned aircraft's ADS-B OUT does not broadcast the aircraft's serial # nor it's N #. Why are we being treated differently? Because Amazon, BNSF, Fedex etc want us out of the sky!

How will, or how could this be enforced, its not like a speed limit where at one time was enforced some what by radar traps ? I mean I can see it on new ones, but older ones not so much. Do you really think they have a way to control the non-compilers, there simply no way to control this ? What happens if joe farmer is still using his 5 yr old drone to check his crops on his land only, or the person who builds their own ?

Reactions: Outsidethebox
That would put you in the "Limited Category" and restrict you to a 400-foot bubble around yourself.

No, it would not. As long as your aircraft is broadcasting the RID packet of info, you're good to go.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal