Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

D*** the torpidos, full speed ahead!

How will, or how could this be enforced, its not like a speed limit where at one time was enforced some what by radar traps ? I mean I can see it on new ones, but older ones not so much. Do you really think they have a way to control the non-compilers, there simply no way to control this ? What happens if joe farmer is still using his 5 yr old drone to check his crops on his land only, or the person who builds their own ?
I don't think they can. At least not any more than they can enforce flying manned aircraft without a Pilots Certificate. Here maanned aircraft don't even have to have ADSB-OUT.

And that is what I think @Fred Garvin is saying; when all of this is implemented, those with enough foresight to see what the market will need to comply will find a way to do it quickly, simply and as inexpensive as possible. I imagine some are already working on a add-on device that could retrofit to a previous drone that does not have the technology already in it. Keep in mind, your average cell phone already has everything needed to comply. ;)
I think that a software update from the manufacturer will probably be the way to comply.

I think that a software update from the manufacturer will probably be the way to comply.
If you go back and read the NPRM, you will find that a software solution would not cover what is being proposed. If a retrofit would be possible , it would require the AC and controller be returned to the factory to receive the retrofit that would require FAA approval and the appropriate labels affixed to the AC and controller stating which form of Remote ID they comply with. That is of course assuming the regulations are implemented as written.

How will, or how could this be enforced, its not like a speed limit where at one time was enforced some what by radar traps ? I mean I can see it on new ones, but older ones not so much. Do you really think they have a way to control the non-compilers, there simply no way to control this ? What happens if joe farmer is still using his 5 yr old drone to check his crops on his land only, or the person who builds their own ?
I'm with ya on this @johnnyb57... It is much like the Seat belt laws when they made it mandatory. But cars that were produced before the seat belt law went into effect was grand fathered in, to not needed. But I have been wrong most my life so it might just be wish full thinking.

• Love
Reactions: Mike Irish
I'm with ya on this @johnnyb57... It is much like the Seat belt laws when they made it mandatory. But cars that were produced before the seat belt law went into effect was grand fathered in, to not needed. But I have been wrong most my life so it might just be wish full thinking.
I seriously doubt they are going to Grandfather anything. Look at the rules forADSB-OUT, they didn/t give us an exemtion for anything.

If you go back and read the NPRM, you will find that a software solution would not cover what is being proposed. If a retrofit would be possible , it would require the AC and controller be returned to the factory to receive the retrofit that would require FAA approval and the appropriate labels affixed to the AC and controller stating which form of Remote ID they comply with. That is of course assuming the regulations are implemented as written.
I see a small beacon like device,and a lot of honesty and co-operation from those drone fliers that wish to or can afford to stay legal. Just like all of us,ehem! Keith C.

I see this being as unenforceable as the speed limit, I know in my lovely state of ma. (yes I'm what they call a masshole) you can be driving 80+ in the high speed lane, look in your rear view see a statie on your rear bumper pull into the next lane, and goes on about his business. Sad to say but big business is whats driving this, just wait til the disgruntle ex-pilot shoots one of 'em outta the sky ?

• Haha
If this goes thru as written, mine won't be flying. It would be my luck, fifty miles out in the middle of nowhere, one of those uncertified manned aircraft pilots, flying 100 feet AGL, would crash into me, and I'm the that would get cited. Expensive paper weight!

If this goes thru as written, mine won't be flying. It would be my luck, fifty miles out in the middle of nowhere, one of those uncertified manned aircraft pilots, flying 100 feet AGL, would crash into me, and I'm the that would get cited. Expensive paper weight!
How would that happen just get out of the way, unless your BLOS ?

Now hold up for just a sec. You all are telling me that the FAA has the man power to go out and enforce a citation on you for flying a remote control model most are smaller then a car tire. UMMMMMMM YAAAAAAAA!!! LEO's can't even stop riots, and in this State KS the land of OZ, also known as a **** HOLE. They can't even enforce regulations on the 4th of July as to no fireworks in the city limits. And that is one week out of the year. I am studying for my FAA 107 but as far as the rest I will carry on without living in fear..

Now hold up for just a sec. You all are telling me that the FAA has the man power to go out and enforce a citation on you for flying a remote control model most are smaller then a car tire. UMMMMMMM YAAAAAAAA!!! LEO's can't even stop riots, and in this State KS the land of OZ, also known as a **** HOLE. They can't even enforce regulations on the 4th of July as to no fireworks in the city limits. And that is one week out of the year. I am studying for my FAA 107 but as far as the rest I will carry on without living in fear..
I understand what you are saying. We all know that enforcement would be spotty, at best, but if you wre the one to get caught, could you afford it? I can't!

FAA enforcement, what little there has been, has been focused on incidents. Sort of like getting stopped for speeding but also getting ticketed for expired plates, etc.

There is little chance of active enforcement. But cause and incident that brings you to their attention and all bets are off.

By the FAA it self, yes. Remember, they are farming out enforcement. Here we have BLM Rangers, US Border Patrol, and US ICP officers some of whom are gung-ho. A citation from one of them wouldn't be an incident?

By the FAA it self, yes. Remember, they are farming out enforcement. Here we have BLM Rangers, US Border Patrol, and US ICP officers some of whom are gung-ho. A citation from one of them wouldn't be an incident?
If you fly on the Reservation, I don’t think you’ll have trouble from anyone outside the tribal council.

Reactions: Outsidethebox
That would be ok for a hobby pilot.
I’ll agree with that one, this RID is to get rid of all the small business operators to make room for the big money corporate players.

Hopefully enough people will refuse goods delivered by drones. Home deliveries by that method just irk me. On the other hand, use of drones for inspecting railways, power lines, and gas lines make a lot of sense. I am a lot more comfortable with a drone flying at 150 to 200 feet along those infrastructures than a small manned aircraft at those altitudes. It a lot quieter also. Those types of flights can be scheduled and covered much like low level military operations are on the sectional charts. Anything outside of that schedule would come via NOTAM’s.

Reactions: rchrdbarnard2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval