Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Degree of Accuracy to H's Object Detection

Reaction score
As I've crashed once already, but out of carelessness and not from ramming into something. Though the detection mode was off, so maybe it could have been prevented. Anyway...

I'm new to the UV crash detection, so it is it far enough out (or adjustable) so that it will read directly off the ground in front of it upon inevitable slight descent at full thrusting forward? I would love to be skimming the water without sh#tting my pants the entire time. I hear Danger Zone in my head and just want to rip down a raceway with this thing. Similar question pertaining to a harder surface, like the hood of a car... how far out can it detect the objects in front as is the preventive measure just to stop, reverse, or angle itself upward accordingly???

I've also given myself a general rule for any low level flying... the landing gear, being down, happened to take the brunt of the fall and helped save my gimbal and camera from getting wrecked. Wondering if the detection is good enough so that I may forego this preventive measure.

Stay Fly!

Oh. Mine's got the buggy eyes in front, so I guess that's it.

And BTW... IT DOESN'T WORK. I had it on and just crashed again. This time, however, it was into a large bush / small tree. I flipped it into Hover mode coming back down from Smart, right over Aerial... never used Hover and honestly didn't even realize it was there. Seems like a death trap unless you're in a wide open area!

The thing just zipped up and got winded over. I was almost close enough to grab it in the air, so I recall a momentary series of red flashes, as if it were disregarding my controls. I've never used hover... ahhhh!!!!!!

THANKFULLY I had landing gear down and the thing just floated back onto its leg. 4 busted props, gimbal ripped off... but camera and the arm I believe intact. I live close to Yuneec in SoCal so I'll bring it in for the fixin' this week. Big shoot the following Thursday, so I've gotta get myself set up.

This is my third crash :-(

Careful with those buttons and switches!!!

Hmm...you do have a newer model than mine. I got no Aerial and Hover. Bad luck with the crashes, but you know what they say, "Crashes Make Perfect".

Good that you are near Ontario. Upward and Onward!

Oh. Mine's got the buggy eyes in front, so I guess that's it.

And BTW... IT DOESN'T WORK. I had it on and just crashed again. This time, however, it was into a large bush / small tree. I flipped it into Hover mode coming back down from Smart, right over Aerial... never used Hover and honestly didn't even realize it was there. Seems like a death trap unless you're in a wide open area!

The thing just zipped up and got winded over. I was almost close enough to grab it in the air, so I recall a momentary series of red flashes, as if it were disregarding my controls. I've never used hover... ahhhh!!!!!!

THANKFULLY I had landing gear down and the thing just floated back onto its leg. 4 busted props, gimbal ripped off... but camera and the arm I believe intact. I live close to Yuneec in SoCal so I'll bring it in for the fixin' this week. Big shoot the following Thursday, so I've gotta get myself set up.

This is my third crash :-(

Careful with those buttons and switches!!!
My suggestion is that you are putting it into smart Mode (far right upper front toggle upper position) when you are coming in to land.
ALWAYS take off and land in Angle mode (far right upper front toggle middle position)
This will stop it from flying away from you.
Alternatively if you have 2m clear in front of you. You can use the Return To Home RTH setting (far right upper front toggle lower position), it will return to you lower the legs land and switch the motors off.

What are these "Aerial" and "Hover" positions.... Anyone got them on the newer releases and what is the function.
I do have Hover on my H, I just let go of all controls, and it's Aerial as soon as it takes off!

Reactions: Haydn
Immediately after the TH touches the ground, pull the throttle stick all the way down to keep the TH from bouncing back into the air and/or flipping over. Keep pulling the throttle stick down and press the Motor Start/Stop button to kill the motors.

I think there is some confusion -- it is Angle instead of Aerial, and Home instead of Hover.

3 crashes...maybe Smart Mode ain't so smart, huh?

I can't brag. I forgot to put the video card in. I forgot to remove the camera shield. I forgot to raise the legs.There's more but I forgot what it was. Oh yeah, during an entire flight I kept sliding the cam tilt up and down. Never moved. Finally back, mad, I found I had been sliding the Turtle-Rabbit.

Reactions: Haydn
Soooooo.... any thoughts on the legitimacy of object detection? The real question is whether it's good enough to detect:

A) Flat Water
B) Far enough out so that upon zipping straight forward, nearly above the road or water, if an apparent descent (from sheer acceleration and continued forward thrust) will be countered?

What happens when it "detects" something? Does it counter and elevate, immediately stop, go in reverse???

If you have the standard H (which has sonar), then all it will do when it detects an obstacle is stop, it doesn't fly around or over things. It doesn't have sensors for maintaining minimum height, so flying fast over water will be risky.

If you have it in Smart mode, it will always stay a certain minimum distance away from you, for safety. That means that if you walk towards it, it will move away from you and can fly into things. The obstacle avoidance only looks 'forward', but 'forward' may mean it's facing you and therefore will back into things simply because it can't see them.

If you have the Pro (with RealSense), it has an additional bar across the front above the camera, which has two camera lenses in it. That does optical object avoidance. It also has a downward facing system which helps it maintain position when close to the ground, or indoors. The Pro can steer around, over or under obstructions, but the top speed when it does it is only about 10mph. I'm not sure if the downward system can help with altitude control at speed.

I'm afraid skimming the water will always be at your own peril :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval