Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Distance above moving objects

Reaction score
Realizing that in normal circumstances we shouldn't be flying 'over' too many things, I was wondering what would be adequate distance above a vehicle to avoid any ground turbulence.

For example, let's say a train was passing underneath at 40 mph. Obviously I don't want to be immediately above it, since it would surely knock me out of the sky. How far above should I be to be 'safe'? I know the larger and faster the vehicle, the more height I would want. But any rule of thumb?

I'm sure we've all seen that racing video where the car zips underneath a Phantom and sucks it right out of the sky. I'd hate for that to happen!

To me, it's a question of good judgment in my mind.
Would I purposely put my drone close over a moving train.
Probably not. I'm more afraid, if I crashed the thing on it, they would know who to blame, probably have some agency come down hard on me. Would I stay off the track, (pun intended), yes! It would make such a unique moment to capture.

I wouldn't fly my drone either over major bridges that have major traffic routes even though it would make for great photography.
What happens is a motorist panics or gets distracted seeing this thing flying overhead. As you know, FCC has acceptable guide lines where not to fly.

To answer you question on acceptable distance, use a tandem tractor trailer on the highway passing you as an example. How many lanes away to you have to be without feeling the effects of wind disturbance.

Realizing that in normal circumstances we shouldn't be flying 'over' too many things, I was wondering what would be adequate distance above a vehicle to avoid any ground turbulence.

For example, let's say a train was passing underneath at 40 mph. Obviously I don't want to be immediately above it, since it would surely knock me out of the sky. How far above should I be to be 'safe'? I know the larger and faster the vehicle, the more height I would want. But any rule of thumb?

I'm sure we've all seen that racing video where the car zips underneath a Phantom and sucks it right out of the sky. I'd hate for that to happen!

Hi Chuck,

Thank you for asking the question instead of just doing. I am not wishing to pile on you; however this really should not even be a question. To directly answer your question flying above any vehicle as a non-commercial hobbyist without permits, direct permission and safety measures in place is unacceptable. All of the heat this segment of the r/c community has received has been derived from people doing things that are unsafe and unwise.

Please do us ALL a favor (including yourself) and do not fly above people, vehicles, near airports (5 mile radius), over roads, highways, interstates and so on. R/C flying is a PRIVILEGE not a RIGHT and if it continues to be abused, that privilege will be taken away whether you think it can and will or not!

I'm really thinking for my own purposes, and not for flying over public transportation.... I just used a train as an example because here in my office there's a railroad track nearby and a train was going through, so it got me thinking.

I'm sure other people get contracted to shoot moving objects (with permission). I just didn't want this to happen (about 1:52 into this video, I'm sure most people have seen it).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval