Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Distance testing report - updates page 3 (FPVLR) & page 5 (DBS)

Right, same guy with the other video I posted in DC's thread I think. It would be nice to see a bit of video of the monitor display when he reached the end to show both distance as well as quality of video feed.

I'm a bit chicken to try this, don't want to lose my baby!

Yes, sorry. I got my pre-order from ACES last week but it had issues with every landing attempt and then flew into my truck on the last landing attempt (already discussed in another thread). Shipped it back on Tuesday and replacement was shipped the next day and received yesterday. This one works great.
Did you ship it to Aces and they replaced it? Or did you ship it to Yuneec?

I don't have them yet but I'm pretty sure I can safely answer that as "No". DC posted that he's thinking of getting another small case to hold his ST16 with the antenna on it. I think most of the time I will use the stock antennas but want the ability to go further if I need to.
Have you tried a WindSurfer? I agree with you, I don't always go for long distance, under 50% of the time. I simply slip on a WindSurfer parabolic dish onto each antenna when I want to go farther, it doubles my distance on most of my drones.

You can buy replacement high gain stick antennas from a variety of places that can be used with a Windsurfer dish. Just make sure you put the 2.4Ghz on the right SMA antenna connector, and the same for the 5.8Ghz antenna.

Last edited:
Did you ship it to Aces and they replaced it? Or did you ship it to Yuneec?
When I had the crash I emailed Peter at ACES and Tim of Yuneec (who posts here) and Peter wrote Sunday night saying Yuneec would handle it and by 9am on Monday I was issued the RMA from Yuneec. I discuss that more in another thread about my TH experiences.

Have you tried a WindSurfer? I agree with you, I don't always go for long distance, under 50% of the time. I simply slip on a WindSurfer parabolic disk on each antenna when I want to go farther, it doubles my distance on most of my drones.
Nope, I had read some reference to them but didn't know what it was. Sounds handy, will check them out.

EDIT: I see they are for the stick type antennas. Do they also make them for the mushroom type antenna?

Thanks! Good to know. Still building the confidence to push it out there. I ordered the DBS from ITELITE direct and noticed the Phantom sticker on the back. So far no issues. The reason for Carolina D's sticker??

Its actually the same exact antenna that is used for the DJI Phantom. My buddy owns a P4 and has the exact one, only difference is with the P4 you have to open the controller to install the SMA screw in. I ordered mine from Carolina Dronz and removed the stickers, no free propaganda !!!!!! lol

Okay, I did a quick and dirty design of "SwampSurfer" parabolic antenna shields. Not pretty, but they did help. Prior distance at this same location was 2,200' before signal break-up. Just now with this set-up I flew out and stopped at 2,873' as there seemed to be some significant delay in signal. I got my mobile phone out (in airplane mode) to take a photo and suddenly lost my video feed. Put the phone away and steered home and I could see the H headed back and maybe at 1,800' or so I regained the video feed. Was a bit stressful but not too bad since I could see it and still had navigation control. The shields should be better, these used drinking water bottles as the foundation. Maybe need a larger drink cup for version 2.

20160524_165158~2.jpg

Soon I will find a place where I can test the distance over land I just want to make sure that I can be on a second-story balcony or something that way the antennas don't have trees or anything in between them

Reactions: HarveyC
Peter, your videos have been posted here, thanks for the good report. I have the FPVLR ordered and may test over land if I'm brave enough. I also have the Itelite DBS ordered - do you have any experience with those to compare?

See post #6 on page 1 of this thread I started. I ordered the DBS from MaxxUAV.com and used discount code "LUCKY7" to get 7% off. Some boast that this antenna gives the greatest range and I will eventually like to see for myself unless you test it out first.

The main thing you want to be careful of is making sure it's compatible with the typhoon h as I was seeing on a lot of different antennas when you mix and match you miss a lot up or if you get something that's left handed and the antenna on your camera is right-handed or vice versa you just have to make sure everything is compatible not just 2.4 or 5.8

Reactions: HarveyC
There is a version of DBS sold specifically for the Typhoon H. There was quite a bit of trash talk it seems, I read of a lot of bad blood on both sides. One DBS seller was saying the Typhoon H was righthand when in reality it is left hand. Kerry on the FPVLR group on Facebook was also going to some testing but I haven't seen anything reported yet. DroneClone is a big time DBS cheerleader, I know that! I know that my water bottle and tin foil set up this afternoon was pretty bad but it was fun!

Yes, sorry. I got my pre-order from ACES last week but it had issues with every landing attempt and then flew into my truck on the last landing attempt (already discussed in another thread). Shipped it back on Tuesday and replacement was shipped the next day and received yesterday. This one works great.
How long did it take for Yuneec to send you a new H? They officially received mine today and in the email they sent me said it is waiting to be checked out by a technician and they have no specific return date.

How long did it take for Yuneec to send you a new H? They officially received mine today and in the email they sent me said it is waiting to be checked out by a technician and they have no specific return date.
I called on Monday, had the return label late on Monday, shipped the old one back on Tuesday, they shipped me a new one on Wednesday, they received the old one on Thursday, I received the new one on Friday.

Perhaps because I sent them a video showing my crash they knew they wanted to keep it to investigate what was going on so, if so, they decided up front they were replacing it instead of repairing it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech