Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Distance testing report - updates page 3 (FPVLR) & page 5 (DBS)

Reaction score
Last week I noticed one flicker in my screen at 770' away. That was my first unit which did not like landing and crashed into my pickup on Sunday. I received a replacement from Yuneec yesterday and it lands very smooth (Angle mode, obstacle avoidance off) and for my third flight with this unit I decided to test distance. It was windy yesterday (about 18 MPH with stronger gusts) but better at 13 MPH now (more calm near my home where I take off and land since I have trees sheltering the area). I live on my farm and have fields that are separated by drain ditches (I'm in former swampland with most of my farm being below sea level!). The longer field to the east of my home is about 1,400' long and the next field is about 1,000' beyond that. It gets a bit difficult to see the monitor with lots of bright cloud cover, I think I'll use my polarized sunglasses next time (I've also ordered an anti-glare screen protector since Ming showed good results with that in his video). I paused several times to take a close look and did not see any flickers at all. I flew out to 2,060', not quite to the back of property. I also rent the farm to the north and can fly another 1,200' or so to the north corner of that if I want to do more testing but I'm pretty happy with these results so far.

I've ordered a set of FPVLR antennas also but, for now, don't know that I'll be needing those much.

Reactions: Subtle Shots
Wait so you've crashed yours and then got a replacement before I even got mine from preorder?? Oh lord lol
Yes, sorry. I got my pre-order from ACES last week but it had issues with every landing attempt and then flew into my truck on the last landing attempt (already discussed in another thread). Shipped it back on Tuesday and replacement was shipped the next day and received yesterday. This one works great.

Reactions: gezzo
Last week I noticed one flicker in my screen at 770' away. That was my first unit which did not like landing and crashed into my pickup on Sunday. I received a replacement from Yuneec yesterday and it lands very smooth (Angle mode, obstacle avoidance off) and for my third flight with this unit I decided to test distance. It was windy yesterday (about 18 MPH with stronger gusts) but better at 13 MPH now (more calm near my home where I take off and land since I have trees sheltering the area). I live on my farm and have fields that are separated by drain ditches (I'm in former swampland with most of my farm being below sea level!). The longer field to the east of my home is about 1,400' long and the next field is about 1,000' beyond that. It gets a bit difficult to see the monitor with lots of bright cloud cover, I think I'll use my polarized sunglasses next time (I've also ordered an anti-glare screen protector since Ming showed good results with that in his video). I paused several times to take a close look and did not see any flickers at all. I flew out to 2,060', not quite to the back of property. I also rent the farm to the north and can fly another 1,200' or so to the north corner of that if I want to do more testing but I'm pretty happy with these results so far.

I've ordered a set of FPVLR antennas also but, for now, don't know that I'll be needing those much.

Two things, what antenna did you buy, im in the market for one. Second, where did you buy the anti-glare screen protector from, I also saw his video but haven't found one that fits the ST-16

My Typhoon H (may it rest in peace) responded well at 250 meters, but at that distance, over water, the video did stutter slightly when I would change directions. I'm guessing if I had continued straight this would not have occurred until much, much later.

I ordered Long Range KIT - FPVLR and used code "2016" for 10% off which slightly more than covered the $10 shipping charge. If the code has expired you can order on Amazon with a lower shipping charge. They also have dealers round the country and it's at Multicopter Warehouse and the owner Kerry was saying he would do some range testing with the H but I haven't seen it yet. There is a Facebook discussion group at Security Check Required I also thought about buying the one at ITE-DBS04.6B in Black for the Yuneec Typhoon H, remote control ST16 & ST24 (also at Carolina Dronz but I prefer no stickers on it).

I don't know if this will fit the screen correctly or not, I had read something several days ago that made me think this would work out so I figured I'd give it a try since it was cheap enough to experiment: www.amazon.com/Fosmon-Anti-Glare-Protector-Generation-Version/dp/B008MP8C5A?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s0

My Typhoon H (may it rest in peace) responded well at 250 meters, but at that distance, over water, the video did stutter slightly when I would change directions. I'm guessing if I had continued straight this would not have occurred until much, much later.
I did some slight direction changes, not more than 50' I think (have video), just didn't feel comfortable with my experience level and not being able to see it real well at that distance and elevation as it was. With less wind I would probably have flown higher where I could see it better. I could share the video but don't know that it would be of help help for this discussion. I would have thought your signal over water would have been stronger than mine over land. FWIW, both of my antennas are pointing up and out about 30 degrees, though I don't know if that is best or not.

I ordered Long Range KIT - FPVLR and used code "2016" for 10% off which slightly more than covered the $10 shipping charge. If the code has expired you can order on Amazon with a lower shipping charge. They also have dealers round the country and it's at Multicopter Warehouse and the owner Kerry was saying he would do some range testing with the H but I haven't seen it yet. There is a Facebook discussion group at Security Check Required I also thought about buying the one at ITE-DBS04.6B in Black for the Yuneec Typhoon H, remote control ST16 & ST24 (also at Carolina Dronz but I prefer no stickers on it).

I don't know if this will fit the screen correctly or not, I had read something several days ago that made me think this would work out so I figured I'd give it a try since it was cheap enough to experiment: www.amazon.com/Fosmon-Anti-Glare-Protector-Generation-Version/dp/B008MP8C5A?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s0

Please let us know how the antenna works out compared to the stock antenna.

The screen protector is the one I use on my Nexus 7 for flying Phantoms. It is the proper height for the ST16 but you'll need to trim off about 1" off the side (it is too long for the ST16 screen).

Reactions: HarveyC
My thoughts exactly. Holy s**t! Fantastic!!:D
Of course I wish everybody had great units in their hands now. Last Sunday I was really down after my crash, figured I'd be without for a while for repairs, etc., or at least over a week. Yuneec customer support was great. So was Peter at ACES for getting me my unit so quick though I know he's waiting for more now. I'm also waiting for extra props from ACES but hope I don't need them! ;)

Reactions: Forrestt
I just did another range test, still stock, at 2,200 feet I started getting black flickers on the monitor.

Besides the FPVLR that I ordered the other day, today I also ordered the Itelite DBS. I saw MaxxUAV posts on the PhantomPilots forum and ordered from Yuneec Typhoon H and used code "LUCKY7" for a 7% discount, free shipping ($101.37 shipped). Should have both later this week to do some testing if weather cooperates. I'm new to this and don't feel comfortable flying much further (could still see okay at 2,200'), but would like clear monitor display.

BTW, ground speed in rabbit mode with slight tail wind was 29.4 MPH. Coming back a little over 28 MPH.

Reactions: Subtle Shots
Question on ordering FPVLR... I ordered the kit from them yesterday and only got a confirmation email from Paypal, not from them directly. I also do not have a tracking number yet.... Is this normal from them?

I think that's the same as what I had. Nothing unusual about that but I don't know if my order has shipped yet or not either.

Edit: My shipping notice was in my gmail spam folder. Ordered Friday night, shipped on Monday.

Last edited:
Are you able to fit the H in the backpack with these antennae? I'm trying to avoid anything that requires disassembling when packing up.

Are you able to fit the H in the backpack with these antennae? I'm trying to avoid anything that requires disassembling when packing up.
I don't have them yet but I'm pretty sure I can safely answer that as "No". DC posted that he's thinking of getting another small case to hold his ST16 with the antenna on it. I think most of the time I will use the stock antennas but want the ability to go further if I need to.

Flew out to 5000' today with the ITELITE DBS. No issues at all!!!!!
Thanks! Good to know. Still building the confidence to push it out there. I ordered the DBS from ITELITE direct and noticed the Phantom sticker on the back. So far no issues. The reason for Carolina D's sticker??

Attachments

• DBS.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 41

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval