Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

DJI wants to let anyone with a smartphone monitor nearby drones

Reaction score
Last edited:
DJI continues to escalate it's self proclaimed authority over the industry. Their arrogance and self-importance seems to have no limit. I fail to see how this makes the airspace "safer" or provides a sense of comfort to the general public. The opposite might be a more likely outcome with every shotgun wielding wackos in search of targets.

Woul
DJI continues to escalate it's self proclaimed authority over the industry. Their arrogance and self-importance seems to have no limit. I fail to see how this makes the airspace "safer" or provides a sense of comfort to the general public. The opposite might be a more likely outcome with every shotgun wielding wackos in search of targets.
Would this affect even non Dji products? Does the serial number of the copter get transmitted with telemetry?

What about the new mini? It’s entire design is for working around registration with its sub 250 weight. That drone is built for rule breaking. Double standards are the new normal.

Reactions: Lars and Grumpy
What about the new mini? It’s entire design is for working around registration with its sub 250 weight. That drone is built for rule breaking. Double standards are the new normal.
Could be a winner for them. " The only drone where you are free to fly as nature intended" The drone where no one is snooping on you, free to enjoy your pursuits. Create a problem and solve a problem, and potentially a money maker.

I'm not concerned, I consider any person without a drone controller in their hands a real threat to life and limb, therefore I don't fly with threats around.
Haven't had a problem yet. If you see a threat, simply vacate the area.

Sounds like a mechanism to get non-DJI owners to put a DJI app on their phone and eventually get interested in buying a DJI drone.
Certainly not in the privacy interests of current drone owners!

Sounds like a mechanism to get non-DJI owners to put a DJI app on their phone and eventually get interested in buying a DJI drone.
Certainly not in the privacy interests of current drone owners!
Wouldn't you get more information from YouTube? Knowing the position of a drone is hardly exciting.

Definitely. But my thought is they may be more interested to snagging people who aren’t initially interested enough in buying a drone to seek out YouTube videos. Just another “conspiracy theory” of course.
It would be interesting to hear DJI’s reasoning as to how this new app would benefit (or could hurt) their existing customers who have spent thousands of dollars on their product and accessories.

Definitely. But my thought is they may be more interested to snagging people who aren’t initially interested enough in buying a drone to seek out YouTube videos. Just another “conspiracy theory” of course.
It would be interesting to hear DJI’s reasoning as to how this new app would benefit (or could hurt) their existing customers who have spent thousands of dollars on their product and accessories.

A good share of DJI pilots see it as another PITA in the same vein as getting DJI’s permission to fly after they have clearance from the FAA (or equivalent). Then there are the DJI Fanboys that think DJI can do no wrong and think this is all in the best interest of drone pilots.
My wish is that the FAA would tell DJI to take a flying leap when it comes to controlling where drones fly in the US. I would also like Yuneec to allow me to get a permanent NFZ unlock on my TH now that hobbyists are allowed to use LAANC.

Not a big fan of Drone U but they did have Brendan Schulman of DJI on there show trying to explain this stuff. Long broadcast so get yourself some popcorn and sit back and watch the show :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval