Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

johnnyb57

Lost in Space
Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Whats the advantage of getting the 107 ? Lets say a friend want his crops pictures, you do it for a fee without having your 107, the transaction is between you and him ? Wheres the harm, and it brings more work your way w/o advertising what happens ?

Brings more work your way,,is the key word set here. Anything to do with work,they associate with money. If I go to the local golf course ,take some fun pics,show them to someone and the owner likes one of the pics and so on Complicated eh! I read all the faa rules and still confused. Someone else on here can explain better ,still the key words are Fee,work, money.All a no. Be careful. Keith

Reactions: AJan
Brings more work your way,,is the key word set here. Anything to do with work,they associate with money. If I go to the local golf course ,take some fun pics,show them to someone and the owner likes one of the pics and so on Complicated eh! I read all the faa rules and still confused. Someone else on here can explain better ,still the key words are Fee,work, money.All a no. Be careful. Keith
I just dont see it as far has an advantage, unless you want to get into corporate work ? Lets be honest, lets say a realtor wants some Ariel photos l dont believe they would know about the 107 ? Another thing is lets say they hired a 107 pilot in the past, then someones comes in cheaper, the only way to get caught would be the the other pilot turning you in, no ?

Wheres the harm, and it brings more work your way...
Two key points:
1.) Where's the harm: Not getting caught does not make it legal.
2.) brings more work: It appears you intend to do this regularly. Each time you repeat a clandestine activity increases the probability that you WILL get caught

Reactions: Phaedrus
I worked hard to get my part 107 and build my business. It's about having the integrity to work within the rules and regulations. If I see some jippo working outside the law, darn right I'll drop a dime on 'em.

I've never intended to do this, was just a question thrown out there ? What l was getting at how many people really know/understand what credentials one is suppose to have ? Same could be said for auto repair, one is licensed, one is not. Another would be taking pictures of lets say landscapes/seascapes then selling them at a flea market, or whatever ? Theres a lot of questions seeking answers, and what would happen if one got caught. Nothing more than my thoughts ?

I worked hard to get my part 107 and build my business. It's about having the integrity to work within the rules and regulations. If I see some jippo working outside the law, darn right I'll drop a dime on 'em.
Whats a jippo ? Sorry another question

The deal is this... it's all fun and games until someone gets their eye shot out. (Didn't you learn anything from Christmas Story?)

If you do this theoretical job and there is a issue with your aircraft, causing some sort of damage (whether a person being injured, or property damage occurs)... there will be an investigation, either criminal or insurance. And you will be reported by either to the FAA. In this scenario, you are responsible for not only damages, but fines from the FAA... now, how's that "good will" job working out?

“Lets be honest, lets say a realtor wants some Ariel photos l dont believe they would know about the 107 ? “

With all due respect, realtors may not know about the Part 107 requirement, specifically, but...

A legitimate, respected, licensed, ethical agent better know the rules about aerial photography, whether doing it themselves or “hiring” someone to do it for them. They have their own licenses and welfare to protect. Ignorance is still not a valid excuse.

For contrast, think of spending lot of time, money, and effort building your own legal, legitimate, by the rules business. How would you feel should someone come in, undercut your fees, taking your clients, and putting all your hard work and cash at risk?

Honest competition is one thing. Being put out of business by someone who cuts corners, did not follow the rules, and put the rest of whatever industry at risk; bet one’s perspective of the issues being discussed would change just a bit.

Jeff

Last edited:
This topic has been a source of much discussion on the UAV legal groups. Here are a couple of points to consider:

A business who hires an unlicensed pilot to provide pics/video is at extreme risk. The fines for doing so can far exceed the fines placed on the pilot. While the business may survive the fines, the pilot might not be as financially capable. In addition to the fine the pilot is banned from ever obtaining a 107 or perhaps even flying for hobby. This is not theoretical. It's happened dozens of times and some of the fines are huge. As usual, the only benefactors are the attorneys.

The FAA uses the intent of the flight a the time it is made for determining recreational vs business. A 107 pilot has to keep accurate logs for each flight and note the purpose of the flight. Those are generally hand written in a bound logbook. I am a hobby pilot but I have many friends who fly commercially. My rule of thumb is this: If I want to film a particular subject, event or private landscape, I ask permission. If someone asks me to film, I turn them down and refer them to the 107 pilots. It is all about the intent at the time of the flight.

Money is not the determining factor. A realtor who buys a drone to shoot properties is not paid to do it. But's it is commercial use. If an engineer runs home to get his drone to take pics of the bridge he's working on, it's commercial use. If a car dealer brings his son to shop to take pics of the dealership, it's commercial use. If your neighbor offers to buy you lunch to take pics of his house, it's commercial use. If you use your drone to go looking for a lost hiker, it's commercial use.

That doesn't preclude your pics/video from being used later for commercial purposes. A few years ago I asked permission to film an unusual structure. I was granted permission. I created and posted a video on Youtube. Two years later PBS asked if they could use my raw video to include in one of their projects. I agreed and provided the original video. A few days later they sent an email indicating their attorney said they could not use the video because I wasn't a 107 pilot. I referred them to the FAA's definition as well as references to legal opinions related to later use of hobby flights for commercial use. I asked them to have their attorney contact the FAA for a determination. They did and they used the footage.

From a practical standpoint if you go looking for that lost hiker, you are not likely to be called out. But if you are a member of a volunteer SAR team you can't fly unless you obtain a 107. No money involved and you are actually incurring expense to fly your own equipment. However, it is not a hobby flight. It is considered commercial use.

If you plan to use your equipment for anything other than flying for fun, you are at risk. Those who use their equipment legally and have an investment in a business which includes licensing, insurance, writing proposals, travel and all the typical costs of doing business will take a dim view of your plan. They will very likely file a complaint with the FAA and you will get a letter asking you for lots of information and an explanation. That in itself is rather intimidating.

Even though I live in a remote area, there are ten 107 pilots within 40 miles of me. There is a young rogue operator who is shooting commercially. I predict his flying days are coming to a close and those businesses who are using his services will find it very costly.

The deal is this... it's all fun and games until someone gets their eye shot out. (Didn't you learn anything from Christmas Story?)

If you do this theoretical job and there is a issue with your aircraft, causing some sort of damage (whether a person being injured, or property damage occurs)... there will be an investigation, either criminal or insurance. And you will be reported by either to the FAA. In this scenario, you are responsible for not only damages, but fines from the FAA... now, how's that "good will" job working out?
But what about insurance, just tryin to see how it would differ from 107 ? I dont want to upset anyone here, just throwing everything out there for my own information ?

This topic has been a source of much discussion on the UAV legal groups. Here are a couple of points to consider:

A business who hires an unlicensed pilot to provide pics/video is at extreme risk. The fines for doing so can far exceed the fines placed on the pilot. While the business may survive the fines, the pilot might not be as financially capable. In addition to the fine the pilot is banned from ever obtaining a 107 or perhaps even flying for hobby. This is not theoretical. It's happened dozens of times and some of the fines are huge. As usual, the only benefactors are the attorneys.

The FAA uses the intent of the flight a the time it is made for determining recreational vs business. A 107 pilot has to keep accurate logs for each flight and note the purpose of the flight. Those are generally hand written in a bound logbook. I am a hobby pilot but I have many friends who fly commercially. My rule of thumb is this: If I want to film a particular subject, event or private landscape, I ask permission. If someone asks me to film, I turn them down and refer them to the 107 pilots. It is all about the intent at the time of the flight.

Money is not the determining factor. A realtor who buys a drone to shoot properties is not paid to do it. But's it is commercial use. If an engineer runs home to get his drone to take pics of the bridge he's working on, it's commercial use. If a car dealer brings his son to shop to take pics of the dealership, it's commercial use. If your neighbor offers to buy you lunch to take pics of his house, it's commercial use. If you use your drone to go looking for a lost hiker, it's commercial use.

That doesn't preclude your pics/video from being used later for commercial purposes. A few years ago I asked permission to film an unusual structure. I was granted permission. I created and posted a video on Youtube. Two years later PBS asked if they could use my raw video to include in one of their projects. I agreed and provided the original video. A few days later they sent an email indicating their attorney said they could not use the video because I wasn't a 107 pilot. I referred them to the FAA's definition as well as references to legal opinions related to later use of hobby flights for commercial use. I asked them to have their attorney contact the FAA for a determination. They did and they used the footage.

From a practical standpoint if you go looking for that lost hiker, you are not likely to be called out. But if you are a member of a volunteer SAR team you can't fly unless you obtain a 107. No money involved and you are actually incurring expense to fly your own equipment. However, it is not a hobby flight. It is considered commercial use.

If you plan to use your equipment for anything other than flying for fun, you are at risk. Those who use their equipment legally and have an investment in a business which includes licensing, insurance, writing proposals, travel and all the typical costs of doing business will take a dim view of your plan. They will very likely file a complaint with the FAA and you will get a letter asking you for lots of information and an explanation. That in itself is rather intimidating.

Even though I live in a remote area, there are ten 107 pilots within 40 miles of me. There is a young rogue operator who is shooting commercially. I predict his flying days are coming to a close and those businesses who are using his services will find it very costly.
Thank you steve, you just covered all of my questions that were running thru my mind. Seeing as this came to mind after a neighbor had asked over the summer, and came to mind a sleepless night ? I have no reason to chase a buck, just debating getting my 107 what the advantages/disadvantages would be. People see these in the air, and throw all kinds of questions at you ? I'll stick with what l told my neighbor wait til l get my 107, he asked if l really needed that, which led to the question...

Reactions: Steve Carr
107 certification is the sUAS equivalent of a pilots license to fly manned fixed wing aircraft. Insurance has no bearing on whether it is legal to fly without it for anything other than a recreational flight. If the intent of the flight is anything other than for the fun of flying your photo/video platform it requires you to have a 107 certification (or 333 exemption) in the US. There are no ifs ands or buts, and a person or business that uses a non 107 certified pilot can be held liable for fines up to 10 times what the pilot is liable for. In the end it really isn’t worth it and I support any 107 holder that reports a violator of these rules.

In this context it means someone that works cheap and bends the rules.
Thank you, l was curious has everyone has different terminology, lately l get lost with with all these short letters for words ? Age plays games on the mind

Thank you, l was curious has everyone has different terminology, lately l get lost with with all these short letters for words ? Age plays games on the mind
Over here it's it used to describe a poor person, gypsy, traveller origin, maybe of dirty scruffy appearance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval