Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Do NOT calibrate your compass !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night but I do own a Q-500 and an H. I have flown them all over Florida and parts of the east coast and never ever calibrated the compass on either of them and never experienced anything except good flying.
Lucky you! Glad you have escaped the woo's of electronics and calibrations! best of Luck!;)

I've noticed the same thing too. Yaw value in GUI increases 0.1 every 5-7 secs even though H is stationary on desk. Don't have any toilet bowl though and H hovers stable.

Perhaps thats tolerable at that rate, mine goes much faster 1 degree every 2 seconds and I get toilet bowl. I have another thread of a guy in the UK with the same issue . Fast movement of the yaw stationary and toilet bowl when flying.

Be happy it flies good I wouldn't mess with it.

Reactions: Rayray
Perhaps thats tolerable at that rate, mine goes much faster 1 degree every 2 seconds and I get toilet bowl. I have another thread of a guy in the UK with the same issue . Fast movement of the yaw stationary and toilet bowl when flying.

Be happy it flies good I wouldn't mess with it.
Faulty IMU or GPS board?

Reactions: Ana Rosa
image.jpeg Ummmm it is in the manual, at least the Q500 4K has it.

Had to go check because all this time I have been doing it that way (compass app on the phone to determine where north is) couldn't think why unless the manual had started me doing it.
It did lol

Should I calibrate before flights when I go from 5000 elevation to 9000 elevation as my starting point? I live in Colorado...

View attachment 2633 Ummmm it is in the manual, at least the Q500 4K has it.

Had to go check because all this time I have been doing it that way (compass app on the phone to determine where north is) couldn't think why unless the manual had started me doing it.
It did lol
You dont need that as calibr. has to do where you are in the magnetic field, not your altitude.

I guess he is more experienced than the engineers who designed the H and tell you to do a calibration? Hmmm? Every platform with GPS I have ever flown, states to do a first time calibration ! If you do the calibration correctly and make sure you get the okay lights, then it is good to go! I would guess 80% or more on this forum did a out of box calibration, like I did and have had no issues! That recommendation to not do a calibration could lead to "Many" more issues and crashes!;)

I did not calibrate my unit after I took it out of the box for the first time. Firstly because I wanted to see if it's true that it is ready to fly right out of the box, secondly because I read the manual, and it didn't tell me to calibrate anything before the first take off and thirdly, I contacted that Yuneec support before I got my H - and they told me one should only calibrate anything, when something starts to act wierdly. I did calibrate it when I saw my drone started to drift a little after firmware update. My H flies perfectly fine since day 1.

So I don't agree that people should calibrate before the first take off, because they may do something wrong during the calibration process, which may lead to underperforming or even falling drone. Then people blame Yuneec because their drone flies badly.
In my humble opinion overcalibrating is the worst thing one can do.

Also I see people discussing whether they should have Typhoon H facing north during the compass calibration or not. I have asked Omid from Yuneec UK about that, and here is what he said:

Omid @ Yuneec UK

Dear Adam,
Thank you for your question.
For the Typhoon H, you do not have to be facing north to perform the compass calibration. We do recommend removing the CGO3+ while performing the calibration, so that you do not apply undue stress to the CGO3+ camera and gimbal.
If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to get in touch.
Kindest regards,
Omid

Last edited:
Agreed, it's not a DJI product and I only calibrated when I suspected an issue.

Even heavy duty and very successful DJI users only calibrate when DJI GO reports an issue.

You dont need that as calibr. has to do where you are in the magnetic field, not your altitude.
So Andrew and Yuneec -USA say to do one after every firmware update and when flying 100 miles or greater from last location, so who's lying Andrew or Omid ? And why do they have a compass calibration selection if it is not necessary?
So the magnetic fields are the same in China as wherever you may live? makes for no sense.
I disagree with your statement, but it's yours to do as you please !;)

Reactions: QuadBart
So Andrew and Yuneec -USA say to do one after every firmware update and when flying 100 miles or greater from last location, so who's lying Andrew or Omid ? And why do they have a compass calibration selection if it is not necessary?
So the magnetic fields are the same in China as wherever you may live? makes for no sense.
I disagree with your statement, but it's yours to do as you please !;)

Why even start a calibration if you don't know if the drone needs it? Calibrations are made to repair malfunctioning machine.

About Andrew and Omid, where did you get the idea to call any of them a liar? I believe both of them were saying the truth, after firmware update the drone may function a little bit off, that's why Andrew told you to do the calibration. Omid was more of a practical pilot, you fly and when you see the drone acts weird - do the calibration. I did as Omid suggested and I am very happy owner of perfectly flying drone, You did as Andrew said and I believe you are happy with your H too. No need to call anyone a liar.

Also, DroneClone I don't suppose that Photo meant you don't need to do compass calibration at all, at least I didn't find that statement in the post you quoted. Nobody ever said that the calibrations are not need at all.

Magnetic fields are not the same everywhere on the planet, but I was buying my drone from a specialized dealer in my country, where they claim they calibrate the drone in their facility - and I believe them, because as I said, I did not calibrate my machine before the first launch, and it flew flawlessly in high wind.

Exactly! You don't know if you need it! So fly it and crash or fly away to find out? Hmmn! Not my logic!
You never mentioned that you bought form a dealer right by you, so if you trust him, fine with that ! I was solidifying Photo's statement that the compass has nothing to do with the altitude you are flying at, "But" the magnetic bearing you are at ! And it does matter.
Man you are a sensitive one aren't you !
I am unhappy with my Pro, because it came with a dead ST16 battery, and I "Can't" fly it, if I could, I definitely would do a compass calibration, since it traveled 1400 miles from my home, If they even did one in California!
I really don't care if you do one or not, it's your freedom of choice, No reason to get all "chocked" up about it!:confused:

Exactly! You don't know if you need it! So fly it and crash or fly away to find out? Hmmn! Not my logic!
You never mentioned that you bought form a dealer right by you, so if you trust him, fine with that ! I was solidifying Photo's statement that the compass has nothing to do with the altitude you are flying at, "But" the magnetic bearing you are at ! And it does matter.
Man you are a sensitive one aren't you !
I am unhappy with my Pro, because it came with a dead ST16 battery, and I "Can't" fly it, if I could, I definitely would do a compass calibration, since it traveled 1400 miles from my home, If they even did one in California!
I really don't care if you do one or not, it's your freedom of choice, No reason to get all "chocked" up about it!:confused:

DC, sometimes you use very emotive language (calling people liars, lots of exclamation marks) and it comes across as a little aggressive. I don't think BroVari was being particularly excited, just putting across a point of view (and one that I share), that obsessively calibrating everything is more likely to leave you with a bad calibration than just sticking with a 'known good' one. I'm one of the people who tries to avoid re-calibrating if at all possible, and after four firmware upgrades and plenty of flying, I've not experienced any bad effects. In fact I still get the distinct impression that a lot of the stories about weird behaviour start with the author saying they did yet another calibration.

Reactions: mustangmoe
DC, sometimes you use very emotive language (calling people liars, lots of exclamation marks) and it comes across as a little aggressive. I don't think BroVari was being particularly excited, just putting across a point of view (and one that I share), that obsessively calibrating everything is more likely to leave you with a bad calibration than just sticking with a 'known good' one. I'm one of the people who tries to avoid re-calibrating if at all possible, and after four firmware upgrades and plenty of flying, I've not experienced any bad effects. In fact I still get the distinct impression that a lot of the stories about weird behaviour start with the author saying they did yet another calibration.
When you strike a match at a can of gas, chances are it will ignite, I never called "Him" a liar my friend, I asked if two people tell you two different stories, one of them is not telling you the truth, whether it is lack of knowledge, or a outright lie, it is not true, thus a lie !
He was responding to my post from 4 months ago, water under the bridge my friend! If you and anyone else don't want to do calibrations to your compass, I really have no problem with that at all, but don't sell your point to me, as I won't buy it!
He never mentioned aggressively either Tuna, he was stating out of the box, which, if you choose to do one, is the most important time !
If you do a 100 calibrations correctly, you will get a 100 correct light sequences to confirm successful calibration, If you get "white" lights and fly and it crashes that's your fault, as it told you that the calibration was "Not" successful !
If you fear a feature that a drone manufacturer supplies, why even buy it Tuna?
And no, I never stated to aggressively do calibrations, just when deemed sensible !

If you do a 100 calibrations correctly, you will get a 100 correct light sequences to confirm successful calibration, If you get "white" lights and fly and it crashes that's your fault, as it told you that the calibration was "Not" successful !
If you fear a feature that a drone manufacturer supplies, why even buy it Tuna?!

My point was that if there is something 'wrong' about the compass firmware, how do you know that the White lights actually mean you have an accurate and correct calibration? White lights just mean that the calibration has completed, not that it is correct. If you do 100 calibrations, I will guarantee some will be more accurate than others. It's just how the hardware works.

So I don't fear the feature, I just think people over use it and don't realise it may be causing them more problems. It's just an opinion, and I'm not going to get upset if other people have a different opinion.

Nope, you do not. Compass Calibration as stated in other posts deals with Magnetic Declination (MD). Google Magnetic Declination Map. The funny thing is there is an MD line that goes through Colorado separating two different Declination areas. I wouldn't worry about that line though as its a guideline and the difference from one side to the other isn't like "time zones" You aren't going to be off. I've flown on each side of it without doing a CC and it flew fine.

I live at 5800' ASL and have flown at nearly 11,000', have changed locations by several hundred miles and didn't redo my CC (unless it was drifting) with no issues.

IMO, this is one of the best explanations of Calibrations and why and when you should do them; The How and Why of Drone Calibration | Agribotix

Should I calibrate before flights when I go from 5000 elevation to 9000 elevation as my starting point? I live in Colorado...

why do they have a compass calibration selection if it is not necessary?

Probably because you need it if the controller warns you of a compass issue.

The other danger of doing the compass calibration is it's not as easy as the DJI process and people are getting it wrong which is more of a risk.

This also highlights the shocking inconsistencies between tech support representatives!

In reading through this thread its interesting that even for Yuneec staff it appears they say different things. Makes you wonder what the real info is after all that.

IMO for me personally having been flying aircraft for over 25 years both old analog and newer electronic panels in aircraft I have been applying the same type of analogy to the drones for calibrations. I have done one calibration of the unit (both my H and P3) out of the box where I live and have not done another one since. I have flown them in 3 different states without any issues, fly away or other anomalies even after updates.

(I had one compass error in my P3 once, it was where I was flying around a bunch of fences and throwing me a compass error, I moved and it went away, I didn't calibrate at that time nor after)

In the real aircraft we slave the DG Compass because it has drift being vacuum driven but we do nothing in the aircraft that are all newer with the LCD displays and GPS integration etc. We get in them and fly. I'm not saying nor will I get into you should or shouldn't calibrate your drone either once, every flight or not at all, that is up to you to determine what works best for you.

But I'm sure out of all of this someone will experience a problem either from calibration or not from calibration and that is just their experience. There are enough drones like any other vehicle that at some point someone will have an issue whether fly away, drifts or what have you.

So to say that someone should follow advice is well, kind of funny because more than likely we will all have a difference of opinion and that includes the manufacture and who you talk to there as well.

Reactions: DroneClone
My point was that if there is something 'wrong' about the compass firmware, how do you know that the White lights actually mean you have an accurate and correct calibration? White lights just mean that the calibration has completed, not that it is correct. If you do 100 calibrations, I will guarantee some will be more accurate than others. It's just how the hardware works.

So I don't fear the feature, I just think people over use it and don't realise it may be causing them more problems. It's just an opinion, and I'm not going to get upset if other people have a different opinion.
Read the manual and what I stated, "White" light means a failed calibration!, Restart of the H with solid colored lights means a "successful" calibration, simple, It either calibrated properly or it didn't, The manual clearly states, if calibration "Failed" white lights will be on, If Solid colored lights, then "Successful" That's how you tell, "If" you trust what Yuneec tells you ! And that's what I stated my friend !

I have hand built RC's since the sixties, and ever since Compass. IMU's etc arrived in the 90's I have had to calibrate them manually to get them to sink, and to operate correctly in different environments and locations. That it what I learned, and that is my choice to do as I feel is best. Like I stated on this thread 4 months ago, I could care less what you all do! It's your freedom of choice my friends ! :)

Probably because you need it if the controller warns you of a compass issue.

The other danger of doing the compass calibration is it's not as easy as the DJI process and people are getting it wrong which is more of a risk.

This also highlights the shocking inconsistencies between tech support representatives!
I personally don't need a controller to tell me my compass needs calibration, I can tell by the way it handles ! Also, lately alot of people have been getting compass errors on the latest firmwares, Is the compass bad? did they calibrate after upgrading? Is the warning a error in itself? Too many variables my friend !;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy