Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Doing a flight above an ancient Roman Road tomorrow

OK. Here it is. A bit of a rush job, I have to say, but it gives the essence of it.

The following vid starts with a good mooch around a ruined farmhouse. I have no idea how old it is but it looks to have been abandoned for a couple of hundred years to be in the state it's in now. The second part of the vid shows the remains of the Roman Road (two sequences). The first sequence is from about 100 ft altitude following the track for about 500 ft. The second sequence is shot descending with a slight backwards movement from about 200 ft to about 15 ft.

Video rendered from Lightworks on 720P @ 30fps from original 1080p
Very cool to see these ancient things from the air. Got a good laugh at your choice of music!

Reactions: gunman
Very cool to see these ancient things from the air. Got a good laugh at your choice of music!
Which bit of music. The indent bit or the main body?

The indent music I use on all of my hobby vids that will be seen by others and was produced by myself using a guitar. It's based on that famous riff from Close Encounters of the Third Kind movie. The main body music is called Sioux Falls from the YouTube library.

Well I tried to show you twovideos of roman roads you can explore elsewhere but the post was removed as it was 'off topic' the topic was roman roads... grrr I think i'll just stick to viewing the forum again rather than contributing.

Well I tried to show you twovideos of roman roads you can explore elsewhere but the post was removed as it was 'off topic' the topic was roman roads... grrr I think i'll just stick to viewing the forum again rather than contributing.

Slow down there... your video was moved to the video section, not removed.

I saw them. They are in far better shape than the road I flew at the other day. Mind you, the road I flew over was one that goes up into the Pennine moors so has taken a good beating from the weather over the centuries. I dare say that it's never seen a motorised vehicle...ever.

Last edited:
I saw them. They are in far better shape than the road I flew at the other day. Mind you, the road I flew over was one that goes up into the Pennine moors so has taken a good beating from the weather other the centuries. I dare say that it's never seen a motorised vehicle...ever.
can you post the exact location or nearest village please? I like history...

Which bit of music. The indent bit or the main body?

The indent music I use on all of my hobby vids that will be seen by others and was produced by myself using a guitar. It's based on that famous riff from Close Encounters of the Third Kind movie. The main body music is called Sioux Falls from the YouTube library.
The Sioux Falls music has a distinct Western (US) cowboy theme while you are flying over a ancient Roman road and ruins in Great Britain. Kind of ironic, don't you think? Glad to hear some of your original music too. Keep up the good work!

Thread was deleted according to notifications....

My apologies... apparently Flushvision's video is in the Photo/video section. Don't know why your would be deleted,
but could you repost it in the video section.... bit of a history / geology geek as well.

The Sioux Falls music has a distinct Western (US) cowboy theme while you are flying over a ancient Roman road and ruins in Great Britain. Kind of ironic, don't you think? Glad to hear some of your original music too. Keep up the good work!
I used Sioux Falls for mainly two reasons: It sounded sorta happy and up-beat, and it just so happened that it fitted well with the length of the video. When I edit a video I'm left with a video of a certain length, then I search out music to fit it as near as possible.

It's a good road. If you go to the top of the hill you find "Robin hoods seat", a big rock outcrop. I walked up there a couple of months back to get a sunrise shot and spent 2 hours sat in cloud/mist.
Was a good hike though and a pint in the white house (pub at the top) is always a bonus

Dropped pin

Google Maps

...<snip>...
Was a good hike though and a pint in the white house (pub at the top) is always a bonus

Dropped pin

Google Maps
I was flying a Phantom behind the White House pub last Thursday. Take off point was by the reservoir's spillway/overflow. It was a bit windy for the Phantom so I only ran one battery through it. I wish I'd have taken the TH instead...that'd have coped much better with the wind.

I have a video edit from the flight but it's not appropriate to post it here. Not the place for Phantom footage.

Cool. Real cool Best i can do is a 25 year old road behind my house.

Last edited:
I've just been scoping out the ruins of an old mill in the Cheesden Valley which is just to the west of Ashworth Moor Reservoir on the A680 between Rochdale and Edenfield. This was just a swift site survey to see if it was viable to do; deciding on best take off points and whether I could park my car reasonably close to it. I didn't take an aircraft with me because the Kp index is too high today. It is do-able but I'll need to go on my motorbike since the only possibility of parking within walking distance is only suitable for a bike.

So, next time the weather is sympathetic to a fly I'm gonna do it. I don't know but I suspect the ruins are of a mill powered by a waterwheel dating from maybe the 16th or 17th century. Any footage I take from this flight I'll post in the videos section.

Reactions: medic72494

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33