Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Drone into the pool!

Reaction score
So my Typhoon Q500 went into our swimming pool during the summer. I sent it in for repairs and they quoted $399 for a refurbished model. This seemed high considering I see refurbs with warranties on eBay for under $300.
I replied to return it unrepaired.
Question is- should I buy another Q500? Should I part mine out or keep it for spare parts if so?
Or is there a better, more advanced drone I could purchase refurbished in the same price range?
TIA

There may be drones more advanced than a Q500, but there are none better.

Fresh water damage is seldom a real killer to a Q500. If you are interested in repairing your Q500, this Forum can be a pretty good resource.
Did the camera also go in the water?

If you don't have a need for the more advanced features on newer models, then replacing the Q500 with another Q500 makes sense. A "drone only" deal from a reputable seller might be the most economical route.
To keep or to part out? Hard question to answer. It is similar to "What drone should I buy". People have different skills, different level of interest, and different areas of focus.
The only right answer is the one that is right for you.

If you get another one, and keep the one that went swimming, at least you'll have a supply of spares, you'll know the history about, and not buying blind from somebody else.

Reactions: John Hennessy
IMG_20200104_173803[1].jpgfind local cell phone repair shop they could repair water damage for normal price and probably have all tools needed.also if you go ebay route do not buy from seller called mckenzie1985 i have bought one "spare new drone" from them and received what was actualy broken used drone with no outside visible scars but on inside oh lord here is picture i have no words, looks like water damage and someone fiddling without clue.

So my Typhoon Q500 went into our swimming pool during the summer.
Freshwater damage is not as bad if the drone was quickly removed from the water and dried. WTFD is correct in saying these forums would be a good start. You can find tons of information about your Q500 and how to repair it. Have you diagnosed any problems the drone has? Any lights or motors trying to work or making noise? Does it respond to the GUI when you attempt to diagnosis it? I build and repair drones for friends and family. I enjoy the hobby and also run a business through the fun of owning several types of drones. I have owned DJI, Yuneec, and Parrot drones. My favorite is my Typhoon H Plus but coming in a very close 2nd is my Q500. Yuneec's drones are well built and reliable but they do have issues with DIY repair parts.

After careful consideration I’m probably just going to cut my losses and sell it as is with batteries, remote, etc.
if anyone is interested.

Reactions: cabinfourus
dissasemble it yourself, people here will help you find where is issue. do you have soldering iron?

After careful consideration I’m probably just going to cut my losses and sell it as is with batteries, remote, etc.
if anyone is interested.
You should try to fix it first and if that fails, sell it. You could also keep it for a spare. Its a Q500?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss