Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Drone noob from Virginia

Reaction score
Greetings!

My name is Neal. I'm 49. I like long walks on the beach and my belly rubbed....

Oops sorry, wrong board!

I'm new to drones. I gifted myself a Tello for Christmas and I was bitten by the drone bug. I just purchased a Q500 because at current prices, I figured now would be a good time to get something I could enjoy. I'm actually going this weekend to a "drone fly." I hope the weather cooperates because I'm looking forward to meeting other drone pilots.

I'm located in the Shenandoah Valley - Virginia. There is a national park nearby and I am within 5 miles of an (uncontrolled airspace) airport, but other than that there are still plenty of places to fly.

I want to get my 107 but right now, just recreational. I'm interested in doing drone video/photography for profit. I have a lot of friends that are real estate agents!

Looking forward to getting to know people here on the forum!

Hello: Ok, I was a little concerned at first.... but. well, who doesn't like their belly rubbed. \i understand about the drone bug. I started with a Syma X5, then a few toy drones, then my Q500 4K (Great Bird), a Millennium Falcon, An X-wing, Tello (fun!) then my newest baby, an H. yup, seriously infected. This hobby can suck you in, but, keeps you out of the bar! Welcome to the forum!

Another Virginian here. I hate the beach though. Probably because I live right by it. Haha. I'm down in Chesapeake, close to the NC line. I recently got my 107 certification. I highly recommend King Schools UAV ground school. I went through the class 1 time and got a 93% on my test.

@ChuckBridges Thanks for the welcome! I've been to BC, but not Alberta. The Great White North is a beautiful place for photography!!!

@TurboDad81 I can see how living next to the beach can be tiresome! I've lived here for 20 years. Now that I have a drone, I have to look at this area with "fresh eyes" and see what I'm missing!

I was going to ask about test prep places. I'm familiar with RemotePilot101 and Drone Pilot Ground School. Since I'm meeting up with other pilots this weekend, I'll chat with them about their experiences as well.

It's raining ALL DAY today and supposed to be windy tomorrow. Hopefully, Saturday will be a good day for flying!

My whole winter has been nothing but rain and wind. I have seen that RemotePilot101 gives you access to their site for life. The one I went through gives you access for a year. But, they taught it in a way that I was able to retain it. And it was only $105.

I want to get the 107 even if I don't do commercial flying. I just want the 107 for additional credibility in case someone challenges me.

$105 for test prep isn't bad! Other places are closer to $200.

Reactions: TurboDad81
Winters in Southern Alberta are not fit for flying. It is either cold and calm, or warm with 70 km (40 mph) Chinook winds. It can go from -30 (-20 f) to plus 10 (52 F) in about 3 hours. Tried to go out Tuesday but family responsibilities came up. Hopefully Saturday. ?

In Canada, there are two tests you can take. Both will allow you to fly commercially. The basic will not allow you to fly closer than 100 ft from people, not over people and 75 feet from building, vehicles or vessels. The advanced will allow you to apply to fly over crowds or closer to or over buildings. The catch is, you need a drone that has been approved for advanced activities and they cost around 10,000 dollars each and up. \not just any drone will be allowed advanced flying. Transport Canada has a list of approved drones. They catch you coming and going. We also have to register each drone for 5 dollars each.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss