Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

DroneInsurance.com

Dave21740

14 CFR Part 107 Certified
Reaction score
In case anyone is interested, I looked at droneinsurance.com yesterday and found that they list the Typhoon H as one of the drones they cover. They listed the Typhoon H as a covered drone, but not the H Plus. I asked them about it, and the H Plus is now listed.

Looks interesting. They launched the website in the US just last month, according to their website. A year of coverage looks like it would be in the neighborhood of $600 US. I'm looking into insurance coverage and thought I'd throw that out there for anyone else who may be looking.

Reactions: Mr.Music777
As a PSA, there is also a company (actually there is a second but I forgot the name) that provides on the spot insurance starting at 10.00 bucks for 1 hour, inside of a 1/4 mile radius, with 1 million in liability coverage. You can get, higher limits and more coverage as needed. For those that do not fly year round this can be more economical. Now this is liability insurance and does not cover the hull. The company is Verifly

As a PSA, there is also a company (actually there is a second but I forgot the name) that provides on the spot insurance starting at 10.00 bucks for 1 hour, inside of a 1/4 mile radius, with 1 million in liability coverage. You can get, higher limits and more coverage as needed. For those that do not fly year round this can be more economical. Now this is liability insurance and does not cover the hull. The company is Verifly

Good info, thanks.

Droneinsurance has a similar feature where you can get flight coverage as-needed, but not down to an hour resolution. I think their smallest unit is one day for $30. I'm pretty sure that's $1M coverage but they go up to $25M. It covers the hull but if you are flying an expensive sensor and want it covered you'll pay more.

I'll check out Verifly. I'm not going to quit my day job so any coverage that can be invoked for an hours or day at a time will probably be more cost effective for me than buying a year outright.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
I forgot to mention, Verifly is an app you put on your phone, so everything can be done on the spot in the field when your ready to fly.

Droneinsurance ought to be paying me for this. They are in bed with AirMap, and you can set up coverage on-site through the AirMap app, like Verifly. That gives me a warm fuzzy about the likelihood that they will have longevity as a company. I think the choices for me are down to those two insurers.

If I have more thumbs than two!! I give it a 10 thumbs UP!!!! It’s actually better than verifly. I use it on the daily, along with State Farm, as my primary.

How about just joining a radio controlled flyers group they have insurance with your membership

How about just joining a radio controlled flyers group they have insurance with your membership

I have looked into the AMA insurance, it’s not that attractive. Coverage and liability are low. My primary State Farm, I can create of how much I need per annum, and Verifly and or Droneinsurance.com will cover the gap. Certain work will need a certain amount and this is where Verifly or Droneinsurance.com comes in handy, it serves as a filler, and also when flying over populated areas.

Reactions: Roadstar30
I may be wrong as it's been a while since I looked at the terms, but I believe the insurance with AMA membership is for personal coverage only... they will not cover commercial operations.

I think most here are aware of it, but AMA's standard insurance that goes with membership doesn't cover use of the drone (or whatever RC aircraft you're using) as a business pursuit. AMA's commercial policy is competitive with others I've seen (my quote was $626 a year for $1M liability and $1800 hull...that's overkill for my H Plus, but I haven't received a breakdown in price from Yuneec yet). But I think the Droneinsurance and Verifly insurers record.play.rewind mentioned have a lot more flexibility. From what I've seen so far, anyway.

I may be wrong as it's been a while since I looked at the terms, but I believe the insurance with AMA membership is for personal coverage only... they will not cover commercial operations.

They do, and they give discounts to AMA members, but it covers so little. My quote then was only.
From previous email 2016.
“Coverage up to $10,000 per drone. Hull coverage is 7% per $1,000 of coverage. Hull coverage is subject to a 10% deductible. Hull coverage is for the platform only and excludes special equipment (e.g. cameras) *For liability coverage exceeding $2,000,000 and hull coverage exceeding $10,000, contact Paul Bretsen at The Harry A. Koch Co. directly at 402-861-7064 or [email protected]

The minimum for construction is 60million

Gotta love insuranese... who the **** flies a "hull" commercially without something that would fall under their definition of "special equipment"?

Yessir, we can take care of that there automobile insurance jus fine... but dem tires... now thats a separate thing that is...

Last edited:
Reactions: record.play.rewind
The AMA commercial coverage is not part of the recreational flyer coverage. You have to apply for and buy that separately. The recreational coverage does not cover any commercial activity at all and it will not cover your aircraft with hull insurance. It’s essentially a liability, property damage, and medical policy. Secondly, the recreational coverage is secondary to any other insurance you may have that might extend to your flying activities, such as home owners insurance. The recreational coverage is only applicable when your drone is flown in strict adherence with the AMA general safety code. I was a 30 year AMA member up until 2017 when I stopped membership because of how easy it is for the AMA to deny an insurance claim for drone operations as we don’t fly from “conventional” runway flying sites.

I signed up for a Verifly account as well, thanks to Ty Pilot for the reference. I assume others know about it, but I'm a rookie at anything commercial when it comes to RC, so thanks for the heads up on Verifly, Pat.

I also insured with DroneInsurance for their base coverage. I verified with them that they will be changing the wording of their base coverage policy such that you can insure the platform, sensor and ground equipment by including all in the insured cost of the drone. For packages like the Typhoon H Plus and DJI Phantom (and others I'm sure) where you buy it as a package, not separate components, that makes sense. It reduced the cost of the base coverage from what I thought would be $35 per month, to about $15 per month. Marc from DroneInsurance kindly provided an electronic copy of the chat conversation we had where he explained that, so I'd have documentation from DroneInsurance in advance of the change in wording of the policy.

I'm still going to see what State Farm has to offer, but for now, at least, I've got non-flight coverage and I can use their flight insurance, which covers equipment damage as well as liability.

I started all four sentences with the word "I". I should probably see a shrink about that. Oh, crap, that's five.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gocdunn