Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Electronics Repair - Soldering Guide

You guys may already be aware of this product.
I found this yesterday and yes , I have one on the way to my house now .
Very affordable but not cheap quality .
Not a sales pitch , just a link to the video that won me over .
Impressive unit! If I were in the market I would give one of these a try. Let us know how it works out for you.

Will do .
Just a heads up guys .
These units are selling like free money .
Mine will arrive after Febuary 24th .:eek:
In my defense , the site listed 7-15 day delivery .
Directly above that , the line read expected delivery Febuary 24th .
I only focused on the 7-15 day part .:rolleyes:

That was the whole purpose of the message is to find out much as I can before started anything ! You had to start somewhere, I'm sure you did. Some people have more experience than other at something ! I thought that was the purpose of the forum is to ask question ! ! !
Hi Eugene
You are well within your rights to ask a question and get reasonable advice. However as always some "experts" love to flex their knowledge muscles. There are many, and I do mean MANY, variables in proper soldering. Most of your technique and skill will come from practice. Get some old circuit boards and desolder and resolder away! Yes I did mention a "soldering gun" and in the day of 1 watt resisters being the size of a tootsie roll with 12 gauge leads nothing else would work! But these days, I use a Hakko and a separate tip temp meter. Ask questions, then practice...practice...practice. After that.....grab that oxy-acetelene torch and attack that satellite circuit board! :)

I have actually used such a tool to remove large ic's from a circuit board. Like the Z80 cpu chip. Gotta be careful tho!

Hi Eugene
You are well within your rights to ask a question and get reasonable advice. However as always some "experts" love to flex their knowledge muscles. There are many, and I do mean MANY, variables in proper soldering. Most of your technique and skill will come from practice. Get some old circuit boards and desolder and resolder away! Yes I did mention a "soldering gun" and in the day of 1 watt resisters being the size of a tootsie roll with 12 gauge leads nothing else would work! But these days, I use a Hakko and a separate tip temp meter. Ask questions, then practice...practice...practice. After that.....grab that oxy-acetelene torch and attack that satellite circuit board! :)
Thank you so much for being a understanding guy that you got to learn somewhere lol, they forget they had to learn somewhere and ask question. I haven't been online in a while, so I wasn't Ignoring your respond. I appreciate your respond and happy flying. Be safe. Stay in Touch, Thanks again...….

Reactions: HRife
SO?????? It's been two months now and we haven't heard a word from you :)) Are you having so much fun soldering you haven't had time to write LOL. How is this puppy working for you?

Reactions: JMichael
SO?????? It's been two months now and we haven't heard a word from you :)) Are you having so much fun soldering you haven't had time to write LOL. How is this puppy working for you?

Apologies for the late reply . This story got out of hand quick . I will sum it up by saying " that I would not order free toilet paper from Banggood.com if I only had corn cobs to wipe with " . Miserable experience . 8 weeks and no soldering station . Canceled the order from Banggood.com . 2 weeks waiting for refund with constant communication.

Ordered Ksger T12 soldering station from Amazon , arrived within four days . I Love This Unit !!
There is a little bit of work to do before soldering . I found these videos on YouTube that were very helpful .

After squaring away all of the settings , I can honestly say " Best $45.0 spent in years " .
Well worth the wait . Some people are reporting issues with the microcontroller .
I received a good one . No issues . Unit performs exactly as advertised . Fantastic !

I have never had this much control before . Efficient power and heat delivery . I even enjoyed breaking in the tips . Relaxing .

I will sum it up by saying " that I would not order free toilet paper from Banggood.com if I only had corn cobs to wipe with " . Miserable experience .
I feel your pain! I will NEVER NEVER NEVER buy anything from banggood again. I bought a new camera quad from them a few years ago, it took over two weeks to get from California (normally a 2~3 day trip, and it was broken on arrival. Just getting them to agree to a return was a long drawn out excruciatingly frustrating and painful experience that took almost 2 weeks. Then Banggood made me sent it back to China for repair or replacement, and provided a very suspicious address that consisted of 40 alphabetic letters, and only 3 numbers. Even the post office balked at the address when I sent it back, ...never to hear from Banggood again. Hundreds of dollars went missing over that fiasco!

I finally gave up after waiting for months. Then 10 months later, I get this battered and tattered mystery box from China. You guessed it, it was my camera quad, unrepaired and marked "Undeliverable". Since then I refer to them as Bangyourheadagainstthewallgood!:mad:

Last edited:
Reactions: JMichael
MOD EDIT: This basic information on attempting repairs on any UAV we fly is invaluable to anyone attempting to go where you have not gone before... :)

=================================================================
OP EDIT: The subject of soldering came up in a post recently, followed by some thoughts that caught my attention, so I jumped in to clear up some misconceptions about soldering. This is an important subject since many of us are hands-on people and like to do our repairs. @PatR has given some very good tips below along with a link to a soldering tutorial that does a very good job of teaching the basic fundamentals of Soldering. This is right up my alley -perhaps more of a main street for me, so I will be happy to follow this post and give advice and tips as needed.

I have been a NASA certified soldering instructor for decades. Questions and answers like these and the term "Soldering Gun" cause me to shudder. There is so much more to soldering than melting solder with a hot iron. Just because it melted on the connection, doesn't mean it's good solid solder joint, and it doesn't mean it won't fail under vibration in flight! If you don't know what you are doing, don't touch it with a soldering iron -and NEVER use a "Soldering Gun" on delicate electronic components. It is extremely important to learn the proper fundamentals of soldering before attempting to make repairs or modifications that require soldering on an aircraft of any kind. And it is wise to practice on something that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars to replace when you accidentally lift a trace off the PCB while soldering, or have it fall out of the sky due to a cold solder joint. By guess and by golly have no place in the realm of aircraft soldering, both in the model world and in the real world.
I am WS-6536(Weapons Specification) certified for military equipment. All of the soldering I taught was done under a 20x microscope. When I took the instructors course, I thought I knew a lot of what was going on. After I got there and the course started I knew straight away I need to pay close attention. It was 90% surface mount and fine pitch IC chips. But it covered a lot more than just soldering. ESD protection which a lot of people think is not needed.
The level of quality control made sure that the device Navigated to and Completed it's mission.(Go Boom)
No DUDs allowed.

Last edited:
If they don't accept PayPal I would not do business with them.

MOD EDIT: This basic information on attempting repairs on any UAV we fly is invaluable to anyone attempting to go where you have not gone before... :)

OP EDIT: The subject of soldering came up in a post recently, followed by some thoughts that caught my attention, so I jumped in to clear up some misconceptions about soldering. This is an important subject since many of us are hands-on people and like to do our repairs. @PatR has given some very good tips below along with a link to a soldering tutorial that does a very good job of teaching the basic fundamentals of Soldering. This is right up my alley -perhaps more of a main street for me, so I will be happy to follow this post and give advice and tips as needed.

I have been a NASA certified soldering instructor for decades. Questions and answers like these and the term "Soldering Gun" cause me to shudder. There is so much more to soldering than melting solder with a hot iron. Just because it melted on the connection, doesn't mean it's good solid solder joint, and it doesn't mean it won't fail under vibration in flight! If you don't know what you are doing, don't touch it with a soldering iron -and NEVER use a "Soldering Gun" on delicate electronic components. It is extremely important to learn the proper fundamentals of soldering before attempting to make repairs or modifications that require soldering on an aircraft of any kind. And it is wise to practice on something that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars to replace when you accidentally lift a trace off the PCB while soldering, or have it fall out of the sky due to a cold solder joint. By guess and by golly have no place in the realm of aircraft soldering, both in the model world and in the real world.
Frankie, NASA still using single sided boards?? Obviously I’m joking. I had a beloved uncle that worked at JOHNSON for years.
I’m an ex-Navy tech, been in paging, cellular, now FAA voice/data since ‘94.
I’m going to buy a nice soldering station, and a microscope........to fix my drone. It’d be nice if we could get schematics!

Reactions: ThunderChicken
Frankie, NASA still using single sided boards?? Obviously I’m joking. I had a beloved uncle that worked at JOHNSON for years.
I’m an ex-Navy tech, been in paging, cellular, now FAA voice/data since ‘94.
I’m going to buy a nice soldering station, and a microscope........to fix my drone. It’d be nice if we could get schematics!
There are a few schematics floating around for different parts. What are you "fixing"??

Reactions: ThunderChicken
If you have not been properly trained to work with surface mount technology and do not posses proper visual magnification and necessary tools and irons, I personally recommend against it.
I had to send a ham radio back to its owner unrepaired due to the mutilation that the owner did to it. The only way to fix it was to replace the circuit board in the front cover. It would have cost more than a new radio.
If you have not been trained changing a FET you might getaway with it. IC"S forget it. You can create more problems and damage than you are trying to save.
Mind you I am not trying to discourage learning, quite the opposite. Learn before you burn!

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop