Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Estate sale spectrum mirrors

Reaction score
Picked these up at an estate sale for $35 but don’t even know what they are, they’re labeled “spectrum mirrors” and “Baird atomic”?? I’m figuring they either have something to do with photography, astronomy, or something to do with microscopes.

Does anyone have an idea what I bought, or if they’re even worth anything? I could be way off base here but figured if it has to do with photography then the smart folks in these forums will know.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks. IMG_2667.jpgIMG_2669.jpgIMG_2665.jpgIMG_2666.jpgIMG_2668.jpg

Picked these up at an estate sale for $35 but don’t even know what they are, they’re labeled “spectrum mirrors” and “Baird atomic”?? I’m figuring they either have something to do with photography, astronomy, or something to do with microscopes.

Does anyone have an idea what I bought, or if they’re even worth anything? I could be way off base here but figured if it has to do with photography then the smart folks in these forums will know.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks. View attachment 22852View attachment 22853View attachment 22854View attachment 22855View attachment 22856

A quack Google search found:

My searches found very little and kind of confusing. I see some with photography filters and others with microscopes, I just don’t know what mine are. Or, do I have a mix? There’s someone on eBay selling just one filter/lens (or whatever it up is) for $57, just one..and he’s calling it “optical filter”

IMG_4544.jpgIMG_4543.jpg

A quack Google search found:

Link doesn’t work, says page not found

• Sad
Reactions: Mike Irish
Link doesn’t work, says page not found
It works for me here in Europe! Try this one:

I see you have the same disease my wife has,Heh! Keith C.[emoji16]

They looked old, and they were cheap, my two.criteria for an estate sale purchase....out of 100 swings of the bat you’re able to hit a home run at some point, not sure if this is it though. Lol

Reactions: 7cyclops
I believe they were very expensive and could still fetch a lot of money, to the right person. To find the right buyer is key.
Cheers.
Mike

It works for me here in Europe! Try this one:

So I wasn’t far off base, it’s potentially astronomy related. I was thinking it might have something to do with astronomers analyzing the light/photons from planets, galaxys or stars, which tells them the composition of the object (if I remember correctly). But then I find something else on google search which leads me to believe it has something to do with atomic energy or microscopes.

Absolute mystery to me.

So I wasn’t far off base, it’s potentially astronomy related. I was thinking it might have something to do with astronomers analyzing the light/photons from planets, galaxys or stars, which tells them the composition of the object (if I remember correctly). But then I find something else on google search which leads me to believe it has something to do with atomic energy or microscopes.

Absolute mystery to me.

Yes I come to the same conclusion.

I Also found
In the 1950s and 1960s Billings was Senior Vice President for research at Baird-Atomic, Inc. in Cambridge, Massachusetts, where he contributed to the development of analytical instrumentation for emission spectroscopy, dual-beam, recording infra-red absorption spectrometry, flame photometry, and investigated the potential of circular dichroism as the basis for instrumentation, a technology that Baird-Atomic, Inc. never commercialized.
See Here : Bruce H. Billings - Wikipedia

I Also found
In the 1950s and 1960s Billings was Senior Vice President for research at Baird-Atomic, Inc. in Cambridge, Massachusetts, where he contributed to the development of analytical instrumentation for emission spectroscopy, dual-beam, recording infra-red absorption spectrometry, flame photometry, and investigated the potential of circular dichroism as the basis for instrumentation, a technology that Baird-Atomic, Inc. never commercialized.
See Here : Bruce H. Billings - Wikipedia

I sent a few emails out to a couple companies to try and get answers...but this is the exciting part of estate sale shipping: investigating and sometimes stumbling upon hidden gems

Those are for the C23 When flying into the stratosphere, and above for clearer pictures of earth from above ? First you have to apply for the permits from nasa...

Viewing the various spectrums of infra red is a matter of filters. The wavelength you see is determined by the filters used. What you have is likely related to those alterations.

Viewing the various spectrums of infra red is a matter of filters. The wavelength you see is determined by the filters used. What you have is likely related to those alterations.

Have a guy calling me from an “edmunds optics”, we’ll see what he says. I sent a bunch of emails out yesterday to just random businesses online asking for information and how I would go about selling them.

Doing even more research; it seems these are pretty expensive and most of the single filters (1 piece) are priced between $40-$150, from what I’ve found online. Now, I have no idea what goes into that price in regards to quality/condition. As with most vintage things, condition means everything. I could have a rookie babe Ruth card but if it’s torn and beat up it’s worth practically nothing.

Well, Once someone finally contacts me, and tells me I’ve got crap, at least it was fun to count my millions...in my head. Lol

• Love

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiebeedigital