Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

FAA Drone Registration - Previously Owned Drone

Reaction score
Looked a bit but didn't find an answer...

When you purchase a Drone that was previously Owned:
(Assumptions, Drone is registered with a Serial Number. I personally always include Serial Numbers)

1) Is there a way to determine if it had been previously registered with the FAA Drone registration on the PT107 or Sec 336?

2) Is the previous Owner suppose to remove the drone from their registered list. Or does the act of Registration at a later date remove the previous entry; similar to some automotive registrations.

3) If you register a previous PT107 and you re-register as a PT107, if any "action" against the registration of the drone / Owner follow and transfer to new Owner unintentionally.

4) With all the new & re-sales of Drones, is the FAA Drone Registration accurate in data it provides to outside sources.

News Bit on Drone Registration:
Drone registration tops one million according to the FAA

Last edited:
I doubt the FAA has the resources to monitor or track serial numbers. They have a huge backlog of nearly everything related to drones. If you register a machine which was previously registered, it will likely show up for both owners if they do a data base search, so the date of the registration would be their guide.

Part 336 registers the pilot for 3 years and the registration ID for the pilot can be used on an unlimited number of sUAS’s. The type of craft and serial numbers are not registered with a he FAA.

Part 107 may be different as far as registering individual aircraft. There many on the forum that will know.

Reactions: Cornfield
In the USA, only drones registered for commercial work have serial numbers recorded. Hobby flyers do not need to do this as the operator is registering and all hobby drones are covered. I believe the 107 operators have to update the system when they add or remove a drone from service.

Reactions: Cornfield
Hobby level aircraft don't receive a registration number, only the owner is registered. Sale of a hobby level drone would only require the new owner to remove the previous owner's registration number from it and apply their own.

Part 333 aircraft follow exactly the same title and registration process full scale aircraft do so each aircraft bears an individualized tail number, along with an aircraft class category that it falls under. People selling these would follow the title and ownership process utilized for full scale aircraft when they sold one.

The 107 registration process sort of shares parts of both the 333 and amateur registration processes. Each 107 aircraft receives an individualized hull number but the process is very streamlined compared to the full scale process as it only requires description and serial number (and $5.00) to obtain a hull number assignment. A 107 operator can at their whim delete any registered aircraft from their FAA file, which in turn "de-certifies" it for use in commercial operations until such time as it is again registered.

The regulations are at best unclear about what should be done when transfers of ownership occur but a wise 107 commercial operator selling an aircraft might consider reviewing and follow the same procedures used for full scale to avoid assuming liabilities of the new owner. If the new owner failed to re-register the aircraft and the hull number from your earlier registration is still active in your FAA file and still visible on the aircraft when something happened you would be the one holding the bag. At minimum a 107 seller should delete that aircraft from their FAA registered aircraft file and remove the hull number from the aircraft, and generate a record of sale noting the new owner and their contact info.

Once registered, any and all aircraft remain in the FAA's data files pretty much forever and their system allows for tracking and cross referencing numerous data sets. Owners, accident history, and lots of other stuff are tracked for later use. What we do or don't do today can become problems tomorrow.

Last edited:
With the RC registration recently re-enacted for Hobbyist the site appears to have changed. There are 2 options: PT-107 for commercial and Section 336 for Hobbyist (not PT-336).

I list my AC under the PT107 section,
I thought I recalled the Hobbyist side previously had an "optional" component that allowed you to record & track your own AC and included additional AC information such as Model & Serial #. It appears that component has been removed.

I agree the FAA is overloaded and will spend their time on manned AC and Pilot's meeting credentials before attention is focused towards RC and Drone AC. The focus of post & inquire was to bring attention/thought to possible govt quirks in the system regarding the duplication of drones and if that could be agitation tool towards Drone Owners if you were approached in the field or encountered an legal action.

Agree chance is minimal, but as additional rules, reg's, laws are layered via Fed & St we'll probably encounter conflicting issues and this might be one of them to be aware.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy