Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

faa jan 1 2020 mandate

Reaction score
I wonder how this is going to effect the current yuneec commercial line up. ads-b equipment that will need to be onboard and fully functioning on all aircraft in the USA. The absolute worst case the 920's line and the h520 are down to just less than 2 years before there are no longer airworthy and grounded for the USA air space. Same goes for 98% current DJI equipment and 100 percent Autel. Best case does not effect us one bit.

I wonder how this is going to effect the current yuneec commercial line up. ads-b equipment that will need to be onboard and fully functioning on all aircraft in the USA. The absolute worst case the 920's line and the h520 are down to just less than 2 years before there are no longer airworthy and grounded for the USA air space. Same goes for 98% current DJI equipment and 100 percent Autel. Best case does not effect us one bit.

Its going to be quite easy to retrofit almost any drone with a ADS-B transceiver. They have been available as early as 2016 and one current (receiver only) model is only $199. I am sure the manufacturers will add them quickly once required. Risk-averse DJI will be the first! ADS-B

I wonder how this is going to effect the current yuneec commercial line up. ads-b equipment that will need to be onboard and fully functioning on all aircraft in the USA.

One important bit of information is missing from that question - ads-b will only be required where a transponder is presently required. Unless you are flying in airspace where you are required to be in communication with a control tower, it won't apply. Anything less than Class C won't require it.

Airspace

Reactions: 10-8
One important bit of information is missing from that question - ads-b will only be required where a transponder is presently required. Unless you are flying in airspace where you are required to be in communication with a control tower, it won't apply. Anything less than Class C won't require it.

Airspace

In the end, it's all about the airspace users knowing where the rest of the vehicles are. I don't think it would be a problem if the transponder was active all the time because you also inform other nearby aircraft of your position, such as other drones flying in BVLOS.

Very true! Ads-b can be useful in many ways. I was just addressing the idea of it being required for all aircraft. In some areas that is closer to true because of proximity to major (Class B) airports. For most of the country, geographically, the mandate has zero impact. Any sUAS purchased today will be fine for years to come in most areas. Few of us fly in class C or above airspace. I'm sure some do, but they are a small minority. It's not like we all won't be able to fly what we have now on Jan. 1, 2020. I'm not at all meaning to discourage folks that want to equip. It's just not required for most of us.

The issue is still a bit "green", we will see what they want to do and if it is a retroactive law, which can be if it is applied with a new regulation. I think the trend is going to be global, in the USA they have been studying this issue for some time, but in Europe too, and for that year, 2020 or 2021 they are supposed to approve the single space, at least for drones. Transponders have become much smaller and cheaper, if the obligation to carry them is approved, they will evolve and fall even further. Personally, as I've already had an incident with a light aircraft in the vicinity, I don't think it's a bad idea.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech