Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

FAA Release NEW rules for UAS Operations

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Last edited:
This is JUST NOW released so details to follow ASAP!

Remote Identification. A good start from DSPA​

New Rules for Ops Over People (& RID) from DSPA​

Nights Ops and Recurrent Training from DSPA​

Hey bud, the first two links are the same...

Even so the first article was surprising to see that the FAA allowed the retrofitting. Buy stock in the aftermarket companies now! The night ops article reveals what has been known for quite a while now, but it is great to see that they are recognizing that there are safe operators that will hold their community accountable thus making it safer across the board. Thanks for the share!

I have a feeling that we Yuneec owners/operators are screwed. Or is there going to be someone to step up and make a Remote ID for the Typhoon?

I have a feeling that we Yuneec owners/operators are screwed. Or is there going to be someone to step up and make a Remote ID for the Typhoon?
I think the retrofitting allowance will take care of that. They already make USB-powered transponders so it's just a matter of getting it configured the way that the FAA will require.

I think the retrofitting allowance will take care of that. They already make USB-powered transponders so it's just a matter of getting it configured the way that the FAA will require.

I don't know. I only read some of the extremely long Final Rule pdf but I read the entire rule summary here:

Initially I was starting to feel a little more ok about RID. They got rid of the network requirement for RID, which was the worst part of the proposed rule in my opinion. The allowance for RID modules, could be ok but a little costly. The way it is worded it almost sounds like it might be possible for someone to build their own module. It says that you have show that a module met FAA-accepted means of compliance. When or how you have to show that it met an accepted means of compliance isn't really clear.

* A person designing or producing a standard UA or broadcast module must show that the UA or broadcast module met the performance requirements of the rule by following an FAA-accepted means of compliance.
• Under the rule, anyone can create a means of compliance. However, the FAA must accept that means of compliance before it can be used for the design or production of any standard remote identification UA or remote identification broadcast module.
• FAA encourages consensus standards bodies to develop means of compliance and submit them to the FAA for acceptance

The part that concerns me about the rule is that the remote id essentially must be broadcast of WIFI/Bluetooth so that are receivable by anybody's personal electronics. That could be a problem from an RF interference perspective.

I still wish that the rule allowed you, as an individual, to specify your own private property as a "FAA-Recognized Identification Area" that is exempt from RID rules.

Dylan

This is JUST NOW released so details to follow ASAP!

Remote Identification. A good start from DSPA​

New Rules for Ops Over People (& RID) from DSPA​

New Rules for Ops Over People (& RID) – Drone Service Providers Alliance

Nights Ops and Recurrent Training from DSPA​

*Fixed error in duplicate links... sorry*
So does this mean I should starting flying drones under .55 lbs? Also will I have 18 to 30 months to even worry about RID?

Think we'll see updates to the Typhoon H for remote ID, or do we all now have giant paperweights?

this new rule, if i read, correctly, wont take effect until 18 months from the end of january thats the summer of 2022 by then there will either be a remote id after market transponders ( essentially a wifi hotspot broadcasting your drones info and who you are) for our birds or well be regulated to FRIA's either way enjoy the next year or so after that......

For those who fly in areas that have no cell service the addition of any hardware will be useless. So I suspect people in those remote areas will continue to fly as they do now.

Again like everything else what will the price be for a ID module and as far as updates for our H I think they have washed their hands with their older models

Given the new FAA rules, I have a few questions regarding the use of my Typhoon H as a recreational flyer and I hope I can articulate my questions is such a way that can be reasonably answered.
1. The whole conversation about Category 1 - 4 flying over people has me a little confused when it talks about the degree of injury a drone can produce. Does this mean to fly where people are in proximity, the drone must have guards retrofitted around the propellers for a Typhoon H? Does it mean that the propellers must be retrofitted or modified so that they have blunt edges to minimize laceration of the skin? When I say flying in proximity to people I mean flying over the open desert where joggers, bikers or people walking their dog might be under my flight path.
2. Do I have to find a vendor who can provide a transponder device for the Typhoon H and at what cost? How will this add-on device be attached and what affect will it have on recreational flying? Will I have to replace my controller or do some kind of download to the firmware? I have not done any updates to my drone or controller since I bought it in 2017 and it flies just fine with no glitches or performance issues. This is mostly because I have read horror stories about bad updates and my attitude has been if it works, don't try to fix it.
3. What measures will I have take to prove the airworthiness of my Typhoon H if it flies normally and properly as it has prior to the new regulations? Who decides airworthiness and how?

I look to you more learned and experienced fliers for guidance here. Thank you in advance and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

• Haha
Reactions: KEITH KUHN
Yuneec will not be updating any older models to comply with new RID rules in any country. In fact I would lay odds that no manufacturer will update their older models to comply with such rules. What we will likely see are aftermarket solutions that can be attached to our aircraft to remain compliant.

What everyone needs to realize is this is not being implemented to keep manned aircraft safe (exception may be helicopters) as the cabals that generated these rules try to brainwash everybody with. The real reason is to protect the deep pocket corporations that want to take over the low altitude airspace we fly in. They need us broadcasting our position so their aircraft can see and avoid ours.

I am all for advancement in technology and the use of drones in many uses for inspection of infrastructure, but general delivery of product by drones that this is being implemented for is our governments worldwide bowing down to big corporations at the cost of the average citizen. Drones carrying payloads large enough to be cost effective are just not as efficient as delivering by land vehicles.

okay only yuneec product so far that can connect to wifi and fly and have camera feed because it not on wifi anymore at the same time is h520e

It does not matter about the existing drones' radio/Wi-Fi control, nor is cellular service involved in the new requirements.

I believe the H520E will be the main focus of Yuneec's efforts to comply. Manufacturers/producers have 18 months after rules enactment to comply, then owners have an additional year after that (total of 30 months) to have their drones in compliance.

Obviously some folks, as I think has been mentioned, will ignore the new requirements. BUT beware, the new rules empower local law enforcement to be involved. So a neighbor...

Remote Pilots (Part107) apparently will be able to renew online rather than retest, although new applicants still need to test at the approved centers. For night ops under new rules, online knowledge tests must first be taken. The existing waiver process is eliminated.

Sadly, I do not believe DIY by individuals will fly...

Reactions: chascoadmin
Remote Pilots (Part107) apparently will be able to renew online rather than retest,

I’m very, VERY happy with this. Free online currency training rather than sitting for another $150 test. Bring it on.

Not worried at all about Remote ID. There will be plenty of tiny modules available by the time it is an enforceable rule. I don’t seem to be able to locate ANY requirements for this signal to be received, only that you are broadcasting....so, a cheap little transmitter, as long as it’s broadcasting, will suffice. Of course, in 2.5 years, they may define this requirement. Plus, in 2.5 years I'll most likely be replacing my working drones anyway.

Last edited:
There will have to be many small tags that transmit available. Obviously new drones will comply, but this isn't just drones. There is a huge segment of DIY people, by that I mean, drones, gliders, planes, helicopters, paraplanes, model rockets, etc. Not all of what I've described are RTF or BNF. There are still a lot of builders / DIYers out there that will need to comply. I don't believe it's the intention of the FAA to ground everyone.

For example, when you buy a receiver it will eventually include the tag with Bluetooth and or WiFi.

I think how the technology will work is still an unknown. I will infer the tag may be a data logger / black box for law enforcement, so when needed law enforcement will need Bluetooth or WiFi access to your logs so once they have you land, confiscate, or recover a crashed drone, they can access the owner info and flight logs.

I don't see how a live Bluetooth / Wifi connection would work so when people say anyone in the public can monitor your drone, I don't believe that. Bluetooth needs to be bound, so does Wifi. Both have limited range, so I don't see live monitoring being what they are after here.

I've also heard people say private property should be a designated exempted zone in addition to authorized flight fields. My problem with that is that private property doesn't matter, the FAA in the United States already has jurisdiction over the airspace above private property.

Reactions: 7cyclops
I don't see how a live Bluetooth / Wifi connection would work so when people say anyone in the public can monitor your drone, I don't believe that. Bluetooth needs to be bound, so does Wifi. Both have limited range, so I don't see live monitoring being what they are after here.
I'm not worried about it, but what could potentially happen is that a server is populating to an app that is public and reporting all drone activities that are going on at any given time. Just like our heavy equipment fleet. If someone sees a drone and has the app they will know who it is, but not necessarily where the pilot is. It's all going to be public record one way or another.

For those who fly in areas that have no cell service the addition of any hardware will be useless. So I suspect people in those remote areas will continue to fly as they do now.

I think your first statement isn't necessarily true. To me it looks like concept is that someone (LEO, concerned citizens, manned aircraft pilots?, etc) could have an app on their phone or other device that if they see/suspect a drone is in the area they would turn on and capture their remote id info (id and location). Now without cellphone/internet coverage they may not be able to check the id info against a database (unless they have downloaded some sort of offline database) but they could see your location info. They would also most likely be able to capture the RID info for checking a DB later. More importantly they would theoretically be able to tell if there was no remote id signal which they could then report as a violation. It basically gives people more ways to spot drones who they think are violating the rules.

I’m very, VERY happy with this. Free online currency training rather than sitting for another $150 test. Bring it on.

Not worried at all about Remote ID. There will be plenty of tiny modules available by the time it is an enforceable rule. I don’t seem to be able to locate ANY requirements for this signal to be received, only that you are broadcasting....so, a cheap little transmitter, as long as it’s broadcasting, will suffice. Of course, in 2.5 years, they may define this requirement. Plus, in 2.5 years I'll most likely be replacing my working drones anyway.

I need to look into the free online current training. I let my part 107 expire because I wasn't using it and laziness. I wonder if it could renew my expired license online or if I will have to re-test first?.

For remote id, the specifics for the range of the device is spelled out, but the device has to be tested to be in compliance with an "FAA-accepted means of compliance". To meet that, presumably the module maker would have to demonstrate some sort of range test that the FAA likes. The rule also says "Standard Remote ID UA and Remote ID Broadcast Modules must be designed to maximize the range at which the broadcast can be received.". That requirement might mean proving that you are sending at the highest power allowed for unlicensed wifi signals along with a suitable antenna, or it could mean something else.

The only way that I can think of this RID rule could work the way that they describe is a WIFI module that acts as a hotspot, hopefully available in either 2.4ghz or 5.8ghz flavors so that people can avoid conflicting with their control signals (while probably affecting their video signals instead), and people will be able to connect their phone to that hotspot using some sort of drone id app and get your remote id info.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval