Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Filming at night

Reaction score
Has anyone played with the camera on the H at night?
I am thinking about seeking the proper permissions to try and film a local fireworks display this coming 4th.
Not sure how or if the camera on the H can handle it.

I don't think the cameras on these drones are sensitive enough for filming at night. You would need a very high ISO setting and if you could set it high enough it would be a very noisy image..

Just my guess mind you. I could be completely wrong.

Yeah, ISO and shutter speed are are worry. Was thinking more about the bright flash from the fire works.
May have to set off a few ground fountains and ground film and see what it does.

If you set the exposure correctly for the fireworks, you should get some good footage. Everything else will be dark. I took a video of New Years fireworks on a CGO2+ which is a much poorer camera with no settings at all, and it was still useable.

the CGO3+ Cam is much better then the 2+, but its still a small sensor which isn't good enough for nice shoots at night. its near what the Gopro4 can do at night...
you need a Panasonic thing like the x5 from the inspire or for doing it perfect the Sony A7S

Has anyone played with the camera on the H at night?
I am thinking about seeking the proper permissions to try and film a local fireworks display this coming 4th.
Not sure how or if the camera on the H can handle it.
When you do it be sure to switch the sound on.

Reactions: clive long
Phantoms do well at night for street lighting and certainly fireworks, with a bit of experimentation I think you'll get good results.

The cams of today are magical. You go ahead it will amaze you and everyone else.

i think its automatic mode and iso ...
maybe you can make better results with manual mode and don't go higher then 800iso

Last edited:
Reactions: yuneec53
That night shot is not too bad, better than I thought. Lots of ambient light there. Unsure fireworks would be the same depending on how far away you are from them and how much other light is around.

I would like to see you try it at night, maybe you will be surprised. Unsure I would use automatic mode though. Sorry being a film maker want-to-be, I hate automatic anything. Manual is the rule. i:)i

But you could try it both ways of course. I have not used the drone much yet and have not taken any real footage myself yet. Still learning.

Please post your footage either way.

I flew the other night and tapped the camera icon on the ST16 then change the image style from Gorgeous to Night. Looks much better, but I didn't take any videos, so more testing to come. Some people don't know that now there is that night option (under camera only) that's why I'm mentioning it. Good luck and hopefully we'll see some vids done at night. I can clearly tell though that this Cgo is much better than the Q's Cgos.

Figured Id get some and set them off here (they are legal here)
Have to see. I know I need a low ISO and a longer shutter speed.
I will probably be 1/4 to 1/2 mile away from where they set them off, have to go scope out the location this weekend.

Has anyone played with settings for night shots? I took a few dng/raw, dng/gorgeous and dng/night images tonight of the moon and horizon but the images were very grainy. Aiming at a nearby ballpark that was lit up for a night game yielded some better results. Some people had mentioned tweaking the iso and shutter speeds....I'd be curious to hear what some people recommend.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval