Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First Crash Totaled My H !

I thought the controller vibrated to warn GPS off and bottom right warning bubble on ST16?

It does. If you look back through the conversation on the first page, Atomic08 admits he was getting battery warnings but was dismissing them. I think this was a component possibly. There were several battery warnings throughout the flight, if someone is not looking at the screen (not saying this is what happened, just a possibility) and; a loss of GPS warning was thrown into the mix, it is easy to see how it was missed, this is what I was getting at above.

And here is the last two legs of the flight out over the field and then back to the point where it hit the tree. From that point (above) onward the GPS was off, you would have gotten a warning telling you it was off but perhaps missed it thinking it was a battery warning.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorWiscPilot
It does. If you look back through the conversation on the first page, Atomic08 admits he was getting battery warnings but was dismissing them. I think this was a component possibly. There were several battery warnings throughout the flight, if someone is not looking at the screen (not saying this is what happened, just a possibility) and; a loss of GPS warning was thrown into the mix, it is easy to see how it was missed, this is what I was getting at above.
On the few times it's happened it startled me, wonder what the **** is happening! It's a good thing, it focuses the mind.

Thanks everyone for your responses.
Below is a photo I took from 2017 when we first started the garden. I want you to know that there are no leaves on any of the trees when I made this flight. Also that the controller and the H where always in line of sight of each other.

Ty is correct in assuming that I was not looking at the screen after I moved it back from the house. The time I remember getting a battery warning was when i first took off, but dismissed it when I noticed the battery level returned to the 15 volt range.
When I moved away from the house, it seemed to fly OK and I was more focused on watching the H to bring in for a landing than watching the screen. I did not notice any vibration from the controller.
I did notice that it did not stop when I started to bring it back, and tried to reverse it, then let go of the sticks to try and make it stop, but it just kept coming and then hit the tree.
Bringing it back to me and hitting the tree happened so fast I did not have a chance to glance at the screen.
Again back to the question of WHY the GPS turned off.
I think there is a difference between Loosing GPS and Turning GPS Off.
I appreciate all the input from everyone and hopefully I and maybe others can learn something by my misfortune.
I'll keep everyone informed in the next few days on what our insurance claim decides.
Again
THANKS for everyone's input

Attachments

• Spring 2017.jpg
    Spring 2017.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
Reactions: Ty Pilot
Reading threads like this help immensely! One can learn a whole lot from them and be more informed on, not only the drone itself but on piloting it. Kudos to all you that analyze and share you knowledge! (and sorry for your loss Atomic08)

That might suggest a fly away incident. If so I hope you don’t hold a 107 as such an event would mandate filing an NTSB report for a commercial operator.

Can you clarify this? What I've seen is that NTSB only wants a report if someone gets seriously injured or killed, or the UAV weighs 300 pounds or more.

Can you clarify this? What I've seen is that NTSB only wants a report if someone gets seriously injured or killed, or the UAV weighs 300 pounds or more.

Review this document:

Especially these two examples:

• A small multirotor UAS has a fly-away and crashes into a tree, destroying the aircraft: Not an Accident, (though substantial damage, too small, and no injuries), but the operator is required to notify the NTSB of a flight control malfunction. NTSB may initiate an investigation and report with a determination of probable cause..

A small multirotor UAS hits a tree due to pilot inattention on a windy day: Not an Accident (too small, even if substantial damage). However, the operator is required to notify the NTSB if other criteria of 830.5 are met. NTSB may initiate an investigation and report with a determination of probable cause.

Also note that none of this applies to recreational/hobby sUAS.

Reactions: JackMTaco

Fortunately, this topic is covered in Part 107 Recurrent Knowledge Test Prep by at least one reputable “Flight School”. Not having taken the initial Part 107 course through this same school, I can only assume the NTSB reporting requirements are covered in the related course material.

Per the course text, in addition to serious injury or death, other NTSB reporting criteria include, but not limited to:

-flyaway (failure of flight system)
-in-flight fire
-aircraft collision in flight
-release of all or portion of a propeller blade other than by contact with ground

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Crash Update

Hello all...

Just an update on what's going on with my Crashed Typhoon H..

Good News...My State Farm Policy is going to honor my claim and replace my Typhoon H. I paid $1449 for my H when I bought it in 2016 with all extras and they were going to send me a check for that amount. I told them that was with all accessories and that the Drone kit was $1199, and to be fair I would have parts left over. The claim adjuster said I had replacement value for the purchased amount with no deductible and that is what they offered. No diminished value. I told them I would be happy with $1200 and they are going to direct deposit that amount to me !
Called Yuneec this morning and they set up a return call and called me back PROMPTLY at the agreed time of 2:25 PM EST !

Talked to the tech about the crash and he reviewed this forum posts and looked at the responses you great people gave. He looked at the files posted and said it was unable to determine
what exactly happened, but if I sent it in for repair they would be able to probably find out what happened. I said it was too far gone for repair but would maybe want to replace it. I offered to send in the remains if they wanted to evaluate the H for their own benefit but they declined. He did say that looking at the data, IF it was still under warranty that it would a warranted issue, having the GPS turn off. Good news for future flyers !

Now my options:
From Yuneec
1. Get a Bind and Fly Typhoon H and Camera only for $649.99
2. Get a Typhoon H Pro Bundle Refurbished with a 1 year Warrenty for $1124.99 (Includes with Intel RealSense, GCO3+ 4K Camera, Wizard Wand, Extra Battery and Backpack) No Tx No Shipping !
3. Get a Typhoon H Pro new for $1499.99
From B&H
4. From B&H Photo get a new YUNEEC Typhoon H Hexacopter with Intel RealSense, GCO3+ 4K Camera, Wizard Wand, Extra Battery and Backpack for $1199.00 7% Tax plus shipping
5. From B&H Photo get a new YUNEEC Typhoon H Hexacopter with GCO3+ 4K Camera for $899.00
6. From B&H Get a Autel Robotics Evo + On-The-Go Bundle for $1099 7% tax plus shipping

What would you guys do?? I like the Typhoon H features and flight modes, especially with the dedicated controller, just don't like the size all the time.
Been thinking about a foldable drone but would not get a DJI product that why I was looking at the EVO.
I think I will post a new thread asking this same question.
Anyone have a Typhoon H and Autel EVO that can give their opinions?
Thanks All for putting up with my ramblings !

Last edited:
Reactions: Ty Pilot
Its great that you are getting this covered and are looking forward to the next aircraft. One thing about getting another Typhoon would be that you would have spare parts and extra batteries - just not the one from this crash;). If you like the Typhoon H, before you decide; see if you can find someone that will let you have a go with their H Plus. I loved everything about my Typhoon, but the Plus is in a different league in terms of flight performance and the camera is stunning. Granted it is a little more money but you get what you pay for. Whatever you choose, good luck and happy flying.

Sorry for your mishap.

Keep in mind, loss of GPS could be due to a component failure, or some other interference.

The SD card issue could be due to the video not closed properly before [unplanned] power down.

Hopefully the clues will be forthcoming.

Jeff
Or because the micro sd card got damaged in the crash damaging 1 or more sectors on the sd card.

Crash Update

Hello all...

Just an update on what's going on with my Crashed Typhoon H..

Good News...My State Farm Policy is going to honor my claim and replace my Typhoon H. I paid $1449 for my H when I bought it in 2016 with all extras and they were going to send me a check for that amount. I told them that was with all accessories and that the Drone kit was $1199, and to be fair I would have parts left over. The claim adjuster said I had replacement value for the purchased amount with no deductible and that is what they offered. No diminished value. I told them I would be happy with $1200 and they are going to direct deposit that amount to me !
Called Yuneec this morning and they set up a return call and called me back PROMPTLY at the agreed time of 2:25 PM EST !

Talked to the tech about the crash and he reviewed this forum posts and looked at the responses you great people gave. He looked at the files posted and said it was unable to determine
what exactly happened, but if I sent it in for repair they would be able to probably find out what happened. I said it was too far gone for repair but would maybe want to replace it. I offered to send in the remains if they wanted to evaluate the H for their own benefit but they declined. He did say that looking at the data, IF it was still under warranty that it would a warranted issue, having the GPS turn off. Good news for future flyers !

Now my options:
From Yuneec
1. Get a Bind and Fly Typhoon H and Camera only for $649.99
2. Get a Typhoon H Pro Bundle Refurbished with a 1 year Warrenty for $1124.99 (Includes with Intel RealSense, GCO3+ 4K Camera, Wizard Wand, Extra Battery and Backpack) No Tx No Shipping !
3. Get a Typhoon H Pro new for $1499.99
From B&H
4. From B&H Photo get a new YUNEEC Typhoon H Hexacopter with Intel RealSense, GCO3+ 4K Camera, Wizard Wand, Extra Battery and Backpack for $1199.00 7% Tax plus shipping
5. From B&H Photo get a new YUNEEC Typhoon H Hexacopter with GCO3+ 4K Camera for $899.00
6. From B&H Get a Autel Robotics Evo + On-The-Go Bundle for $1099 7% tax plus shipping

What would you guys do?? I like the Typhoon H features and flight modes, especially with the dedicated controller, just don't like the size all the time.
Been thinking about a foldable drone but would not get a DJI product that why I was looking at the EVO.
I think I will post a new thread asking this same question.
Anyone have a Typhoon H and Autel EVO that can give their opinions?
Thanks All for putting up with my ramblings !
I can understand your feeling "Once bitten twice shy" and bad omen, the Typhoon is a great system, and your already use to it, I believe you don't have a third party charger? So those costs may have to be added to the Yuneec, it's something the Evo may have in a smarter system, I'm not familiar with it, but you can research all that, and YouTube and advice from others to your hearts content, only you will make the final choice, take your time.

Ty.. I briefly considered the Plus but like you said, I'll have a spare controller and extra parts. Plus I have the fileters, batteries, and a lot of extras from the H

Noble...I can't see any damage on the SD card, and I can understand not closing the file, but there where a number of my previous flights on it.

Mrgs1...I already plan on getting a Venom Multi charger. I have been wanting one for a while now and If I get another H it is in the plan !
Also I am and have been doing a lot of internet soul searching on what to do !

Ty.. I briefly considered the Plus but like you said, I'll have a spare controller and extra parts. Plus I have the fileters, batteries, and a lot of extras from the H

Noble...I can't see any damage on the SD card, and I can understand not closing the file, but there where a number of my previous flights on it.

Mrgs1...I already plan on getting a Venom Multi charger. I have been wanting one for a while now and If I get another H it is in the plan !
Also I am and have been doing a lot of internet soul searching on what to do !
@Atomic08
I have a venom quad multi charger, had it for 18 months, it sucks! There isn't a display telling me about the charging.
2 months ago I purchased two DY3 chargers, the display keeps me informed of it's progress. I'm glad I have it.

If you really enjoyed your H.....I’m going to echo the “kick in some cash and get a Plus”......seriously, it’s a whole new bird. It’s like upgrading a Firebird to a Trans Am.

If you really enjoyed your H.....I’m going to echo the “kick in some cash and get a Plus”......seriously, it’s a whole new bird. It’s like upgrading a Firebird to a Trans Am.

And just get a bind and fly package for the h480 replacement. Just the craft and camera, not the controller. Now you’d have two aircraft, two full systems restored.

Hopefully Yuneec still sells them, much less than full package.

Jeff

Yeah, and not just like the late 70s Trans Am of Bandit fame (though they were sweet for their time), but the 2019 850 horse power resto-modded type of Trans AM.

Attachments

• BadTA.jpg
    BadTA.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: Fred Garvin

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33