Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First Crash Totaled My H !

What Helmut is saying is that just reading the telemetry file we cannot see what was happening on the ST-16. We also need the remote file he mentioned.

As he mentioned, the battery is also very suspect with the rapid voltage drop at the beginning. Do you have a third party charger so you can put the batteries at storage charge or are you just using the OEM charger?

Flying that long after a level 2 battery warning is very risky. With the rapid voltage drop at the start and then the length of time you flew where the voltage hovered around 14.6 to 14.5 volts, I would venture to guess that there is a cell with a very high IR that depleted quickly and stresses the other cells.

OK here is the Remote File
Thanks

Attachments

• RemoteGPS_00330.csv.txt
    22.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Remote_00330.csv.txt
    209.7 KB · Views: 5
I have seen that type of telemetry, but from a battery that was declining at a normal steady rate and the person just tried to fly too long.

I’m in the group that try to be on the ground before the first battery warning that triggers at 14.3V.

I am baffled by the telemetry and would really like to see the matching remote file. Even with loss of GPS the reaction should have been different, unless there was about a 20mph wind blowing toward the house.

No wind, just a beautiful spring day !

Just took a reading on the battery that I crashed with and it's at 15.7 volts
They will bounce back somewhat because of no load, I would take the warning on the ST16 to be reasonably accurate. That's pretty close to storage voltage. Are you getting spares to try and repair it, or had enough?

Mrgs1....
""Are you getting spares to try and repair it, or had enough? ""
I attached a photo of the pieces...
Don't know what I am going to do for now.

I thought about repairing it, but it looks like the camera is pretty well destroyed and that is the most expensive part.
I emailed Yuneec about getting a replace bird and camera only, but they replied to check with them Monday.

I have Insurance with State Farm, so I will check with them Monday also to see if and what they cover.
I have been paying the fee for years now, so I hope I can get something,

It's strange that my wife is more upset that I am, as she knows how much I enjoy the drone. She likes watching the videos I get. She said just get another one.

I have always liked the Yuneec H for its size and features, but I have also hated the size because its so large to take places.

If I get another drone, I have been thinking about getting a EVO.
I'll see what happens in the next few days.

Attachments

• IMG_4041.JPG
    IMG_4041.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 53
Wirhout commenting on batteries and voltage the part of the incident description that troubles me is how the aircraft behaved when the sticks were released. It did not stop and hover or drift in the direction of the prevailing wind. Instead it kept moving at speed.

That might suggest a fly away incident. If so I hope you don’t hold a 107 as such an event would mandate filing an NTSB report for a commercial operator.

If you have the capability you might check the internal resistance and voltage of each battery cells. That would provide useful info in establishing the true condition of the battery. Do not charge the battery before doing this.

Last edited:
Wirhout commenting on batteries and voltage the part of the incident description that troubles me is how the aircraft behaved when the sticks were released. It did not stop and hover or drift in the direction of the prevailing wind. Instead it kept moving at speed.

Yes that troubled me also, this all happened in about 65 feet and a matter of a few seconds. I know that "height is life", but I did not even have time to go higher because it came into the trees so fast and it did not respond to stick input.

That might suggest a fly away incident. If so I hope you don’t hold a 107 as such an event would mandate filing an NTSB report for a commercial operator.

If you have the capability you might check the internal resistance and voltage of each battery cells. That would provide useful info in establishing the true condition of the battery. Do not charge the battery before doing this.
"" If so I hope you don’t hold a 107 ""
No Pat, no 107

""If you have the capability you might check the internal resistance and voltage of each battery cells. That would provide useful info in establishing the true condition of the battery. Do not charge the battery before doing this.""

Do not know how to do this.
I found this How to Measure the Internal Resistance of a Battery?
but not sure how to measure the Yuneec Battery. I see three prongs and three round terminals?? on the battery.
It will take me a while to read up on how to do it.
I'll have to go to the eletronic store sometime and see what they say I need for a HPR.
I build my own computers and get parts there sometimes, maybe they can help.

thanks for the reply

The Typhoon H is more agressive when flying without GPS. Speed can be up to 20m/s. From KML file and from the other FlightLog data it looks simply like the H was flown without GPS 70m straight away and then back to home also relative fast and direct into the tree. Without GPS it will not stop by itself but take the speed and vector.

fl00330.png

It lost GPS here in 4.6m height. Blow the tree and near the building this may happen.

GPSlost.png

Then it was flown up to this turning point.

TurnPt.png

Attached the KML file to play it in GoogleEarth.

br HE

Attachments

• KML00330.zip
    40 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Ty Pilot
Well I got distracted yesterday and couldn't make a post but it's good others have looked into the telemetry.

I agree with what others say, the battery voltage was an issue but not what caused the crash necessarily - from motor start (08:15:31)to first battery warning (08:16:16) was just 45 seconds which occurred just a split second after you started to fly out over the field. Somehow over a minute later the battery was back up to 15.4 volts after having been as low as 14.0 volts?

Mean while the last 31 seconds of the flight was GPS off, max speed for the entire flight was reached 26 seconds after GPS was disabled and 5 seconds before impact.

Regarding the battery, there are two possibilies:
- the battery is waste,
- the connectors are bad.

I see three prongs and three round terminals?? on the battery.
Maybe this helps:
YTH_Batt02a.jpg

There are adapter cables that allows to use a better charger that has a storage program and possibly Ri measurement. It allows also to use batt tester.

Search "charger adapter typhoon h".

br HE

Mrgs1....
""Are you getting spares to try and repair it, or had enough? ""
I attached a photo of the pieces...
Don't know what I am going to do for now.

I thought about repairing it, but it looks like the camera is pretty well destroyed and that is the most expensive part.
I emailed Yuneec about getting a replace bird and camera only, but they replied to check with them Monday.

I have Insurance with State Farm, so I will check with them Monday also to see if and what they cover.
I have been paying the fee for years now, so I hope I can get something,

It's strange that my wife is more upset that I am, as she knows how much I enjoy the drone. She likes watching the videos I get. She said just get another one.

I have always liked the Yuneec H for its size and features, but I have also hated the size because its so large to take places.

If I get another drone, I have been thinking about getting a EVO.
I'll see what happens in the next few days.
Camera is expensive, for the price to repair here it's worth getting a new one, cheap as £625 complete, £ 500 for a camera, no brainer, and you get to keep old one for spares and spare controller.

Camera is expensive, for the price to repair here it's worth getting a new one, cheap as £625 complete, £ 500 for a camera, no brainer, and you get to keep old one for spares and spare controller.
Yes that was my first thought. I'd get as new controller and new H for $899.00 here.
Plus I would have 7-8 batteries, although after this incident, I'd probably just get two new ones, If I keep the H format.
I'd still have to check more into the EVO as an alternative,

The Typhoon H is more agressive when flying without GPS. Speed can be up to 20m/s. From KML file and from the other FlightLog data it looks simply like the H was flown without GPS 70m straight away and then back to home also relative fast

Thanks for taking the time to review the flight logs, Yes basicly that is what happened, I took some photos of the blooms then backed the H up into the field (away from the house) so I could bring it in for a landing. I did take the H up in altitude then started to bring it down and in for the landing when it just continued straight into the tree.
The main question is why did I loose GPS?

It lost GPS when you were hovering next to the house under the tree, this picture by h-elsner shows where the H was when it lost GPS and just before you flew out over the field

GPSlost.png

And here is the last two legs of the flight out over the field and then back to the point where it hit the tree. From that point (above) onward the GPS was off, you would have gotten a warning telling you it was off but perhaps missed it thinking it was a battery warning.

3dTree.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: h-elsner
It lost GPS when you were hovering next to the house under the tree, this picture by h-elsner shows where the H was when it lost GPS and just before you flew out over the field

View attachment 15948

And here is the last two legs of the flight out over the field and then back to the point where it hit the tree. From that point (above) onward the GPS was off, you would have gotten a warning telling you it was off but perhaps missed it thinking it was a battery warning.

View attachment 15950
I thought for a second that was the start of Trumps wall!

Reactions: ChadCloses
I beg to disagree with Mr. Elsner. Although the H will not immediately brake hard and hover when GPS is turned after reducing throttle it does immediately initiate a speed reduction. Braking takes longer but it does brake. It will not continue at max speed when throttle is neutralized. If you require hard braking with GPS off you must reverse the pitch stick and pull it into a reverse direction.

If nothing else, the H is normally extremely predictable in control response, GPS on or off.

Edit: corrected stick reversal identification.

Last edited:
? This might also explain how @Atomic08 was able to fly for over 20 seconds not realizing the GPS was off. As he flew out and made the turnaround, the speed was increasing to a maximum of 11.6 meters per second or 26 MPH which occurred on the return; and is probably the point where he released the sticks and found it 'unresponsive' or; just wasn't responding as normal. In that last 5 seconds with no hands on the controls the aircraft slowed from 26 to 17 MPH.

? This might also explain how @Atomic08 was able to fly for over 20 seconds not realizing the GPS was off. As he flew out and made the turnaround, the speed was increasing to a maximum of 11.6 meters per second or 26 MPH which occurred on the return; and is probably the point where he released the sticks and found it 'unresponsive' or; just wasn't responding as normal. In that last 5 seconds with no hands on the controls the aircraft slowed from 26 to 17 MPH.
I thought the controller vibrated to warn GPS off and bottom right warning bubble on ST16?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hodgepodge