Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First Crash Totaled My H !

I’ve always been partial to the early 70’s SD’s and HO’s. I had a ‘79 6.6 when I was in high school. I got lucky and got the W72 Pontiac 400....(shaker marked T/A 6.6)....this was back in ‘83-‘84 time frame.

I miss that car and still pine for it 35 years later....and I’ve owned a C5 Corvette.....but man, nothing like my TA. My high school sweetheart and I used to blast out to the country to our “spot”......with Standing Hampton in the deck, blasting “Baby’s on Fire”......

We go out riding in my 6.6, yeah
Bypass the city, head straight for the sticks,
Shut off the lights
Turn off the key
No sooner set the brake she jumps on top of me

Oh man I miss that car. Chick too, but more so the car.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
WOW !
Us Old timers reminiscing on our old rides !
We had a Screaming Chicken Turbo from Bandit Fame !
T Tops and all Deck out !
Had 14 Corvettes since High School and now a C7 Vert!
Wonder how we got from a Downed Drone to HP Rides !
Good Times !

Accidentally (well, on purpose) hijacked your thread.....but now that you’re participating....we’re safe from The Penguin smacking our hands.....

If you really enjoyed your H.....I’m going to echo the “kick in some cash and get a Plus”......seriously, it’s a whole new bird. It’s like upgrading a Firebird to a Trans Am.
Problem is the Plus isn't finhised firmware wise and some are experiencing issues, that would be frustrating for the OP if he was unlucky.

Crash Update

Hello all...

Just an update on what's going on with my Crashed Typhoon H..

Good News...My State Farm Policy is going to honor my claim and replace my Typhoon H. I paid $1449 for my H when I bought it in 2016 with all extras and they were going to send me a check for that amount. I told them that was with all accessories and that the Drone kit was $1199, and to be fair I would have parts left over. The claim adjuster said I had replacement value for the purchased amount with no deductible and that is what they offered. No diminished value. I told them I would be happy with $1200 and they are going to direct deposit that amount to me !
Called Yuneec this morning and they set up a return call and called me back PROMPTLY at the agreed time of 2:25 PM EST !

Talked to the tech about the crash and he reviewed this forum posts and looked at the responses you great people gave. He looked at the files posted and said it was unable to determine
what exactly happened, but if I sent it in for repair they would be able to probably find out what happened. I said it was too far gone for repair but would maybe want to replace it. I offered to send in the remains if they wanted to evaluate the H for their own benefit but they declined. He did say that looking at the data, IF it was still under warranty that it would a warranted issue, having the GPS turn off. Good news for future flyers !

Now my options:
From Yuneec
1. Get a Bind and Fly Typhoon H and Camera only for $649.99
2. Get a Typhoon H Pro Bundle Refurbished with a 1 year Warrenty for $1124.99 (Includes with Intel RealSense, GCO3+ 4K Camera, Wizard Wand, Extra Battery and Backpack) No Tx No Shipping !
3. Get a Typhoon H Pro new for $1499.99
From B&H
4. From B&H Photo get a new YUNEEC Typhoon H Hexacopter with Intel RealSense, GCO3+ 4K Camera, Wizard Wand, Extra Battery and Backpack for $1199.00 7% Tax plus shipping
5. From B&H Photo get a new YUNEEC Typhoon H Hexacopter with GCO3+ 4K Camera for $899.00
6. From B&H Get a Autel Robotics Evo + On-The-Go Bundle for $1099 7% tax plus shipping

What would you guys do?? I like the Typhoon H features and flight modes, especially with the dedicated controller, just don't like the size all the time.
Been thinking about a foldable drone but would not get a DJI product that why I was looking at the EVO.
I think I will post a new thread asking this same question.
Anyone have a Typhoon H and Autel EVO that can give their opinions?
Thanks All for putting up with my ramblings !
@Atomic08 I have 2 H's and an EVO. I like the EVO a lot! Great little drone. The H flies much better and the camera has a completely different look than the EVO so I use all 3 for different situations. The EVO is easy to get up and flying quickly and 4K 60fps is nice when you want to do a scene that requires slo-mo. I did the Peau 3.97 lens install on one of my H's and kept one stock so I essentially have 3 cameras with different looks and FOV. With the cash your insurance company has ponied up you could by an H480 reconditioned and for an extra $300 have an EVO as well. Just a thought. .... PS: We all crash at some point!

@Atomic08 I have 2 H's and an EVO. I like the EVO a lot! Great little drone. The H flies much better and the camera has a completely different look than the EVO so I use all 3 for different situations. The EVO is easy to get up and flying quickly and 4K 60fps is nice when you want to do a scene that requires slo-mo. I did the Peau 3.97 lens install on one of my H's and kept one stock so I essentially have 3 cameras with different looks and FOV. With the cash your insurance company has ponied up you could by an H480 reconditioned and for an extra $300 have an EVO as well. Just a thought. .... PS: We all crash at some point!
If you had to chose one, which would it be?

I think this has been discussed before, not Yuneec but batteries in general.Canon cameras Lithium batteries, I think I recall to be kept in storage charge when not in use, and Nikons suggests if not used for a long time, out of storage then fully charge, use the camera and drain battery and store in a cool place. Seems to be some conflicting info from different manufacturers.

If you had to chose one, which would it be?
@Mrgs1 I think if I could only have one I would stick with the H480 with the Peau lens upgrade. The H is much better at getting the type of shots I need and is by far superior to fly in most conditions. I'm not into long range flying and use my drones as flying cameras to get shots, that a few years ago, would only have been possible with cranes and dollies. I also like the built in monitor on the ST16 and the ability to rotate the camera. But...... the EVO is a great drone as well. I'm fortunate to have both and choosing between the two is difficult.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Mrgs1....
""Are you getting spares to try and repair it, or had enough? ""
I attached a photo of the pieces...
Don't know what I am going to do for now.

I thought about repairing it, but it looks like the camera is pretty well destroyed and that is the most expensive part.
I emailed Yuneec about getting a replace bird and camera only, but they replied to check with them Monday.

I have Insurance with State Farm, so I will check with them Monday also to see if and what they cover.
I have been paying the fee for years now, so I hope I can get something,

It's strange that my wife is more upset that I am, as she knows how much I enjoy the drone. She likes watching the videos I get. She said just get another one.

I have always liked the Yuneec H for its size and features, but I have also hated the size because its so large to take places.

If I get another drone, I have been thinking about getting a EVO.
I'll see what happens in the next few days.

****, looks like someone stepped on a daddy long legs. Sorry to hear about your accident!!

Soooooooo sorry about this;(
Admittedly I didnt read the entire thread but my guess is one of the battery cells failed. I had purchased a few used breeze batteries and had 2 of them eith a bad middle cell (3s battery). Not surprised both were the middle cells as it would get the warmest.
I've been checking the voltages on all my batteries before and after charging since I had those bad ones. I took them apart and use the 4 good ones for other things now.
Of course this doesnt help you now so again feel bad for you. Thinking it would cost more to repair than a new one....

Same here, as of February 2017, there was nothing in the 107 material mentioning reporting to the NTSB

That is how I recall it as well. I believe the small UAS NTSB reporting of an FC failure is a recent addition.

As Phaedrus has pointed out, the reporting is not applicable to recreational operators. It should be as their is no difference in features and functions between a recreational or commercial FC in most models.

Hey all...would having real sense prevented this crash???

If you experienced a true fly away event, I seriously doubt if RS would have prevented anything.

Typically, a true fly away takes off like a raped ape, ignores all pilot command input, traveling in a straight line to hither and yon. As it would be failing to respond to command input it would most likely not respond to other system input.

If you had not turned off GPS, had not received a GPS failure warning, and were providing control inputs for the direction of flight my suspicion is you experienced a fly away. The good news is it was in sight when all was said and done so it could be recovered. Also good news as such events are not common and when they do occur where the H can be recovered and sent in for repair they don’t happen again after repair.

The most difficult part of this type of thing is re-establishing confidence in your drone or brand. That’s all psychological and the best way to deal with it is to fly a couple of functional check flights with a new or repaired drone to verify accurate control response and then fly the snot out of it. Sort if like falling off a horse, only two ways to deal with it; stop riding horses or get back on and ride again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trepox