Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First flight - initial observations

RBC

Reaction score
Received my H this morning. Only took 1.5 hours to completely charge battery as it had a partial charge. RC would have taken more time so I decided to fly on a half charge. Followed Yuneec's tutorials for firmware update and compass calibration. Firmware update went smoothly. Compass calibration failed first two attempts. Went fine on 3rd try.

Was in my back yard. Set RC in Angle Mode with Obstruction Avoidance Off. Controls were slightly more towards rabbit mode than turtle mode. Battery was 16.7 volts with fully charged battery. Started the props. Initially very surprised how quiet it was. Much quieter than the Phantom 4. Then I took up to about 10 ft. and hovered about a few minutes and then landed it. Wanted to see how that felt. Landing was very smooth. Controls were sensitive. Need to be careful not to over control it. Then took off again and raised landing gear and took up to about 50ft and hovered. Put it in Turtle Mode and tested the controls. Turned the H round on its axis a few times. Found it more difficult to fly in Turtle Mode because the controls did not seem as responsive. It began to drift and I found it difficult to bring back in Turtle Mode. Switched to Rabbit Mode and it was now for me much easier to fly as the controls were much more responsive. Tested the gimbal controls panning and tilting. Forward and backward and side to side were very close movements as I did not want to fly out of my back yard until I had a much better feel for it.

Next I took it across the street to some empty building lots. Decided here I would open it up.

Took it up to 400 ft. Sun was directly overhead and I lost side of it looking into the sun. I switched it to Home Mode and after about 10 or 15 seconds could hear it but I still could not see it because it was more directly overhead and I was blinded by the sun. Eventually I saw it descending. When it was about 15 feet overhead, I switched it back to Angle Mode and continued to test its flight characteristics. I flew it away from me about 500 feet turned it back toward me and flew it back about 500 feet beyond me in the other direction. I was still amazed how much quieter it is than a Phantom 4. It was not as fast as the Phantom 4 in Sport mode but it was plenty fast enough. I am assuming it was about 30 to 35 mph.

I continued to fly it until I got the vibration telling me my battery was getting low. I brought it back and landed it and noticed it was reading 14.8 volts. I thought about continuing to fly it until it would say battery too low to continue to fly and land itself, but I did not do this. So I don't know what the battery reading would be at that point.

I did try OA while it was hovering about ten feet away from me about 5 feet above the ground. I noticed it would move backward when my outstretched hard got about 6 feet from the front sonar sensors. I also noticed it does not fly as fast when the OA is turned on.

I forgot to measure how much flight time but I know I wanted more flight time. I purchased 3 extra batteries I have not received yet. Overall, I was very impressed with the H on this first flight. It feels like a very refined flying machine. Most notable to me is how much quieter it is than the Phantom 4.

RBC
I am having a blast with mine. First flight was more to just check out the controls, and I agree turtle mode is almost too slow. My flight this morning i said heck with camera,. Full rabbit/ angle mode and let her rip. Did a jump take off to 500 feet, she can move and manuver. I don't have a phantom,. But I was having fun.

RBC
I am having a blast with mine. First flight was more to just check out the controls, and I agree turtle mode is almost too slow. My flight this morning i said heck with camera,. Full rabbit/ angle mode and let her rip. Did a jump take off to 500 feet, she can move and manuver. I don't have a phantom,. But I was having fun.
It is a blast. I don't have a Phantom 4 anymore. I had purchased one from Apple but took it back within their two-week return period once I learned about the H. My reasoning was the H's ability to lose a motor and not crash. Although I understand motor failures on copters are rare, I just never felt comfortable flying the quad. I am an ex-pilot of small fixed wing single engine aircraft and I always felt some discomfort about losing the engine. At least if you did, you can still glide in and attempt to land it. With a quad copter, if you lose a motor, it would drop like a rock. I was not worried as much about losing the copter as I was injuring an innocent bystander.

Reactions: horizontal
RBC

I meant to ask you how did you get to to an altitude of 500 ft. I thought Yuneec had a limit set at 400 ft.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis