Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First flight of my mantis q

Reaction score
All I have to say is wow this thing is awesome. It did everything to par except for the compass cal. Keeps saying to much magnetic interference. I tried for about 20 min and I gave up no metal in the ground so idk maybe power lines are doing it. Do I need to hold it in my hands while doing the compass cal? Any suggestions will help. By the time I got everything set up for the first time I had 75 percent battery left and I flew almost 15 min before the batter was at 38 percent so I came home. Drone landed within 2 feet of takeoff point. Also got a 25 dollar handgun case at Wally World with the form inserts that u can tear out to shape and it works like a charm I have everything plus 2 more batterys to fit perfectly.

Reactions: Steve Carr
It did everything to par except for the compass cal. Keeps saying to much magnetic interference.
Where did you do this ? You need an empty field in the countryside ideally - far removed from any metal structure, link fencing, power lines, or underground pipe work for example. You should also make sure the controller and anything metal (including keys, phones, watches, guns etc you may have on your person) are at least 20 meters from the craft when you do the calibration.

Reactions: FINNY
I’ve been all over my property trying to find a spot to cal my compass and every time it says warning magnetic field. I have no metal on me or the controller or phone on me. I have got it to cal once with success with it still saying warning megnetic fireld. So idk if it would be safe to fly with the compass calibrated with the warning going off on my phone

Reactions: FINNY
I’ve been all over my property trying to find a spot to cal my compass and every time it says warning magnetic field. I have no metal on me or the controller or phone on me. I have got it to cal once with success with it still saying warning megnetic fireld. So idk if it would be safe to fly with the compass calibrated with the warning going off on my phone
Maybe go out on to property with all turned off, then turn all on, off, on till quite of warning and work back like interference locator. If I get a take off location, recorded, while warning is off,,, I fly. but, know nothing really, new myself, and race thru trees full throttle so far..

Last edited:
From what I've read by other posters it seems you should be OK if you calibrate within 50 miles of where you are flying. I'm sure others will say recalibrate every new place regardless but I dont think it's really neccessary unless the environment potentially has different interference issues.

I just took my MantisQ on its first flight. The issue I believe with calibration is the app does not illustrate it well. It goes as follows, First I initialize calibration, then hold the mantis facing north and rotate counter clockwise, next after the beep it gives you 3-4 seconds to hold it nose up belly facing north rotate again counter clockwise till it beeps, after beep again it wants you to hold it sideways facing north and rotate counter clockwise till it beeps. It will say success even if you get the interference warning. I calibrated and flew fine first flight 24 mins 21% battery when I landed.

Reactions: DoomMeister
I agree the app illustration is confusing, did exactly as Scijohn23 described and no problem... well the problem was that I didn't manage to get more time to fly...

@Scijohn23, are you using an Android or iOS device to run Yuneec Pilot app?

I’m running it on my Android galaxy s7. I tried it on my galaxy tab A but it doesn’t have the processing power to keep up with the data stream. I’m going to try my iPhone once I have a short data cable for it.

Could you use the file manager on your Galaxy S7 and see if you can locate the FlyLog folder under the Yuneec Pilot app and see if you are getting Sensor files there? They are the telemetry files for the Mantis Q and I want to publish a reliable guide to download the telemetry files. I don’t own a Mantis Q and have proper instructions for iOS devices , but not for Android devices. Your help would be very appreciated.

Sure can. You can zip it tight from the phone.

Attachments

• Flight log.zip
    16.2 MB · Views: 8
All I have to say is wow this thing is awesome. It did everything to par except for the compass cal. Keeps saying to much magnetic interference. I tried for about 20 min and I gave up no metal in the ground so idk maybe power lines are doing it. Do I need to hold it in my hands while doing the compass cal? Any suggestions will help. By the time I got everything set up for the first time I had 75 percent battery left and I flew almost 15 min before the batter was at 38 percent so I came home. Drone landed within 2 feet of takeoff point. Also got a 25 dollar handgun case at Wally World with the form inserts that u can tear out to shape and it works like a charm I have everything plus 2 more batterys to fit perfectly.
-Mantis Q Calibration

Sure can. You can zip it tight from the phone.

So would the following be proper procedure for Android users:

For the Android user:
Open your File Storage manager.
Navigate to:
/storage/YuneecPilot
Select the FlyLog folder then select Compress and create a name (that includes the date for later identification purposes).

Last edited:
I go to apps, then Samsung apps, then my files, internal storage, scroll down to yuneecpilot and tap it, then flight log. Long press the log wanted then select the more options (three dots beside the delete button)Screenshot_20190129-105329.png

@DoomMeister is it possible to overlay these telemetry data into video from the MantisQ? I know it can be done wit parrot Bebop and would be nice if can be done as well with mantis

I go to apps, then Samsung apps, then my files, internal storage, scroll down to yuneecpilot and tap it, then flight log. Long press the log wanted then select the more options (three dots beside the delete button)View attachment 14056

@Scijohn,
Do you have a folder under YuneecPilot called FlyLog that has files that start with the word Sensor? These should be the true telemetry files. These have some information, but don't seem to map against Google Earth properly.

I appreciate you helping on this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval