Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First flights and some ??

Reaction score
Hi guys.
Yesterday morning saw fantastic weather. Before the honey do list was put out I headed to the local sports field to maiden my new to me H. I took off the camera and did a compass calibration and cycled the power on the drone. The first battery was without camera and flew great and very stable. It doesn't seem to want to land. I did several landings and each time the motors were still spinning away and bounces. I have to use the red button to land. Hardware monitor shows full travel to the sticks. The altitude on the screen is off by sometimes 9 feet and varies. How do I reset the altitude? It does have the latest firmware.
I also noted that after the props start spinning and before taking off the ground speed is already showing movement. I had 18 satellites on both H and ST16.

The second battery was with the camera on. Awesome photography in auto. There must have been something wrong with the SD card because it was nothing but gibberish and I couldn't do anything with it on my windows laptop. I watched what was stored on the ST16. Except for the edges breaking up the videos were crystal clear.
I picked up another class 10, U3, 128 GB card at Staples and did a quick test last night and it works great. I have the camera set for 1080P 60FPS.

This is nothing big but the time on the ST16 is an hour off. It is set for the right time zone. I'm thinking the US version doesn't have daylight savings time in the software. Would that be correct?

Other than that, I'm very happy with it.
Pete.

Other than that, I'm very happy with it.
Pete.
It doesn't seem to want to land.
Be sure the Rabbit/Turtle slider is in the full "UP" before landing. When the slider is down, it limits the control in both up and down directions, meaning even though the throttle stick is full down, you are not sending a full "down" signal. And the TH bounces like crazy.

This is nothing big but the time on the ST16 is an hour off. It is set for the right time zone.
On mine, I have to set the correct time and date manually, THEN set it for automatic time adjustment. It works for me, but not sure if it works on all of them.

The time problem stems from the fact that the time is from the GPS satellites and they do not use DST. When the ST16 is connected to a WLAN it will have the correct time, but in the field will revert to GPS time.

Reactions: 7cyclops
Thank you.
I completely forgot about the turtle/ rabbit slider. That makes sense now. But what about the altitude display? Should it not be 0 instead of negative 1.2 to positive 9 feet? It is different every power up. Even in the same place. Maybe the barometer is faulty? Ten plus feet is a huge difference.

The time I figured had to be about DST. No big deal.

Thank you.
Pete.

Be sure the Rabbit/Turtle slider is in the full "UP" before landing. When the slider is down, it limits the control in both up and down directions, meaning even though the throttle stick is full down, you are not sending a full "down" signal. And the TH bounces like crazy..

WTFD:

.. smh.. you amaze me.. for as long as i've had my TH, i've done nothing but land "red button" style in full down throttle & had more bad luck (bouncing, tip-overs, busted props).. where was this advice a year ago ????.. LoL.. i'm gonna have to go outside and check this out, meaning the "full up" throttle landing.. lesson learned!

NW.

We’ve been saying it for at least two years that I know of. My personal education came from posts by @h-elsner explaining the action the Rate slider has on limiting the output of the controls.

.. just came in from testing.. & to be honest, mid-throttle seemed to work best.. tried to bring it in at full up, but it started bouncing & I immediately took it back up, backed of the throttle to mid point, brought it back & it landed perfectly.. just my .02 for what it's worth..

NW.

Do the motors go to idle speed after it touches down and you hold the throttle down with the Rate slider at midpoint? Once it does that you should be able to let the throttle go to neutral and leave the props spinning just like after arming the motors before takeoff.

Open the final output display on the ST16 by double tapping the Volts read out on the upper left. Now take readings of Ch1 when J1 is at full down with the Rate slider at full rabbit, midway, and at full turtle. Please report your results.

Last edited:
what about the altitude display? Should it not be 0 instead of negative 1.2 to positive 9 feet? It is different every power up.
The altitude reading will drift during the warmup before you start the motors. When the motors are armed the reading is reset to zero. It may continue to drift a little while in idle. This barometric sensor is a crude device, not a precision instrument.

You once again answered a question I was embarrassed to ask.
Be sure the Rabbit/Turtle slider is in the full "UP" before landing. When the slider is down, it limits the control in both up and down directions, meaning even though the throttle stick is full down, you are not sending a full "down" signal. And the TH bounces like crazy.

This is nothing big but the time on the ST16 is an hour off. It is set for the right time zone.
On mine, I have to set the correct time and date manually, THEN set it for automatic time adjustment. It works for me, but not sure if it works on all of them.
[emoji4]

You once again answered a question I was embarrassed to ask.[emoji4]
No need to be embarrassed. A question is a question. I try to search for the answer with the means I have available to me. The search function on this forum has answered a lot of questions for me. Two more questions I have are. Should I hook my ST16 to my home WIFI? What are the advantages and disadvantages to doing it?
I guess one more question wouldn't hurt. Can or should the version of Android be updated?
Thank you guys for all your help.
Pete.

When I first joined, I lurked and used the search function for 30 days before I ever made a single post. Every question I had, while learning my new H480, had been thoroughly answered before. Every Single One. I actually got excited when I finally had a question that was new...but I wasn't asking it in the right way, and of course, the answer was already here.

@Peter b don't be embarrassed to ask...if you have a question that can't be answered by searching the forum, get excited! Ask away! You'll have reached a whole new level...

No need to be embarrassed. A question is a question. I try to search for the answer with the means I have available to me. The search function on this forum has answered a lot of questions for me. Two more questions I have are. Should I hook my ST16 to my home WIFI? What are the advantages and disadvantages to doing it?
I guess one more question wouldn't hurt. Can or should the version of Android be updated?
Thank you guys for all your help.
Pete.
There are times to connect to your WiFi, but they are fewer now. One reason is to access UAV Toolbox developed by @Tuna. Check it out at UAV Toolbox - Yuneec ST-16

You do not want to try updating the Android system on your ST16. The one used for the controller is stripped down and modified to run their flight software.

Thank you.
If I don't need to hook up the WiFi I won't. But I will read up on the UAV toolbox.
Pete.

Welcome wrench567. Good questions. After having troubles landing, even with the rate slider at max, I started using the Red Button for landing. It is extremely reliable. Just hover a few feet above your landing point, press and release the Red button a few times to lower the TH about 1 foot per press. When within a foot of the landing site, press and hold the Red button. Perfect landing every time!

Reactions: NWSaint
Rubik.
Thank you. The rate slider works for me but I still have a finger on the button. I've been getting some very smooth landings with the throttle stick and rabbit mode. I also fitted umbrellas on the sticks. They fit my hands better and makes it feel like my old Spectrum transmitter. I think I need to add some expo to the aileron and elevator stick to smooth out the flight. I don't like it when it jerks when leaving center stick. Even though the camera gimbal doesn't show the jerk. The videos are smooth as silk. The only problem with the gimbal is it's too fast going to center from pan mode. It really swings the camera fast and the sudden stop shows on the videos.

If the weather will cooperate, I would love to try out some advance features like POI, and follow me and stuff. I have yet to try smart mode. Do I have to enable advance mode in the settings menu to use CCC and POI? Or just smart mode?

Thank you.
Pete.

The h has been much easier to land than the q500 for me. I had a few props broken the 3rd time with the q because if it tilts slightly you probably have 2 broken props. I landed it on an infield diamond and the clay dirt combo caused it to bump up more so I land it close to me where the grass is flat and much better. The h seems more balanced when landing at least to me.

Reactions: WTFDproject

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval