Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First impressions ** MAJOR Update page 5 post #90 **

drone has logs on it 8gig sd card Qgroundcontrol allows me to download them to ulogs. thanks Tuna for supporting ulogs online. Missoin planner tends to error out when download files from the drone.

Reactions: Haydn
Default is Return to Launch site. It will rise to the set point (66' default?), then come at top speed directly toward the Launch GPS site and land itself, assuming Angle Mode has been used throughout. If a hill or other obstacle higher than the set point is in between that direct path it will crash into that obstacle.
This is my understanding.
That's what I thought.... Didn't happen afaik

Nice review Hayden. Have you uploaded any footage from your "whoopwhoop tour" (first post, you mentioned heading bush)... Whats the damage (cost) in Oz?... I'm moving back sometime next year, so wondering if I should wait till I get there or buy in the states... (not buying till next year)

The 520 GPS positioning is accurate to within inches. The Typhoon H is not. The 520 barometric height function is extremely accurate. The Typhoon H is notably rarely correct. You can land the 520 like a feather, literally on a dime, or it can land autonomously and shut itself off.
The camera settings, separate for pics and videos, are remembered. Switch between videos and stills with a button click in flight.
Indeed it is. You can park the position the H520 at altitude and it just stays in place, unaffected by moderate wind gusts. I find the controls, with the exception of the gimbal tilt, very smooth, precise and not at all jerky. RTL is very accurate, to within inches. I find the speed fine, and it will stop very quickly. The props will appear in shot if control is rough or the machine is leaning a lot, such as at fast speed. However, the gimbal is superb, compensates precisely and keeps the horizon perfectly level despite how the machine may be pitching.

I'll uploaded log files on Monday when I get back.
Very slow internet here ATM

Reactions: arruntus
## UPDATE ##

So back from the trip.
Trying to come to grips with being back in a house. Just trying to get back into the routine.
Add to the mix the finalisation of my importer status for the H520.
Organising insurances shipping, quantity etc etc. I also decided to do a small business course so this is using up valuable paying time.

The elephant in the room!

My lost drone.
Basically the files were inconclusive and Yuneec has agreed to sell me a drone at half price. 50% my fault 50% theirs.

So is this a good outcome.

Yes. Here's why.
After checking the logs and recreating the flight, a few things became very obvious.

1) Haydn was an idiot who flew his brand new just released drone beyond like if sight and proceeded to move behind a large rock monolith in the middle of Australia. This causes the drone to loose connection and due to the fact that I was some 800+m away took a fair amount of time for me to run over there.

2) RTL (Return to Launch) height was still at 20m, the highest party of where I was Flying was at least 60m in height. So even if a successful RTL had been initialised, it still would have crashed into the rock.

3) I was using a H480 battery that may or may not have been fully charged. (Slaps face hard) so again in RTL or loose of connection situations , the drone would maybe not have had the required amount of juice to do anything.

4) I did not have sonar turned on. So if RTL was activated the drone would crash into an obstacle in stead of stopping and landing.

5) I was mashing the controls once I lost connection in stead of touring the RTL switch.

Now enough me beating.

A) If a loss of signal event occurs sonar should enable automatically.
B) An on platform replay of the previous mission needs to be available. Even with out off line maps an onscreen render of the flight path with an indicator for the location of the ST16S controller would help get you in the right area to start the search and rescue.
C) The initial data losses made me complacent to connection, meaning I pushed it harder than I should because I became conditioned to ignoring warnings and testing then as glitches as opposed to actioning them and flying accordingly.

So what had the fall out been.

Well I have lost two customers.
Do I regret advising you of my problems.
No. At the end of the day I'm the one who is selling you the drone and you are asking me for my opinion, advise etc. Honesty I hope will win out.
I will first and foremost be an enthusiast then a sales man. If it means I lose some sales along the way. Then so be it. But I know that I am confident in the information that I will present to my customers that it will be real and unfiltered.

Now back to my dungeon and update some more H520.
Haydn

First of all, congratulations. Few people do that exercise of sincerity. :) It's easier to blame others. o_O

Making a mistake is the best way to learn, especially because you don't repeat the same mistake. Something that happens a lot of times. Now the rest of us must learn.

The system needs to be improved? Yes, definitely. The practice and those insights you've made help.

Will you stop hitting yourself? No problem, I'll take it from here :p

What a beautiful car wagon, I'll keep it, don't bother with the boxes, I'll keep them too :D:D:D

That said, thank you for the sincerity and contributions you make.

Haydn,

Honesty matters, very, very much. Personally I would rather do business with people that are straight up, tell it like it is showing the bad with the good, and that are always there to take a call. You may have lost two customers but with what you wrote I feel you'll gain a lot more because of your candor.

I do hope to see Yuneec become considerably more involved in the marketing of the 520 system. Leaving it all to the dealers makes the path of good sales volume a hard one to take if dealers have to do it all themselves. The maker needs to make the attributes of their product widely known in order for the dealers to gain customer traffic.

So I'm putting this up as I have just received these photos.
My next post is going to contain a religious explanation so if you are offended please skip post #91

For 85 days my poor little drive sat in the Hot Outback Sun.
Once I receive it back in the next week or so I will tear it down and see what's still working.
Notice the discolouring of the plastic!

92857880-CAAF-46F9-A1B1-150F67D960AE.jpeg

4B5EFA13-F484-4327-820C-7FE840615864.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: arruntus
**** Contains Religious beliefs ****
You can PM me if you wish to talk about that side. Please don't post it here as we don't want to offend those with different beliefs. Thanks Haydn

So as you all know. During our trip in September/October with my sister Angie we had some on going "issues" one of those was me losing the drone in Rainbow Valley.
I spent a couple of days tramping through the outback doing a lot of praying to try and find my drone. Angie helped my wife Sandy and the kids helped by staying out of grumpies way.... You get the picture. So that was October 4th

On Thursday night I received a phone call from a good friend.
"Hey mate."
"Hey" I said "what's happening?"
"You lost your drone at Rainbow Valley, Right?"
"Yes, thanks for reminding me. I needed to be reminded they I lost $4000+ worth of drone. " I not so happily replied.
"Well I think my sister found it!..."
"WHAT??"
"I'll put her on"

Now mind you she didn't know I had actually lost this drone.
She was just debriefing her brother and sister in law about her holiday.
She has been on a literature evangelist trip in South Australia before Christmas and they had to shut down since there is a ban on any door to door activities during the Christmas/New Year week.
They all decided to head up to assure Ayres Rock and then to Alice Springs Church.
They climbed the rock and then drive to Rainbow Valley and started the night.
The next day they went out for a walk around the park some of the more adventurous (silly) decided to climb the side of the rocks and climbed up onto the top.
At some point one of them found a drone. They search around a bit more and found a couple of other parts and brought them back.
They didn't mention anything to the others, and the Pastor from a Alice Springs happened to beer with them as well and new nothing of their find.
Fast forward from boxing day to Thursday.
David Gilmore there Alice Springs pastor was out visiting us and I mentioned in parsing about losing my drone at Rainbow Valley and that if he every goes back there could be have a look for it... I would give him some directions to where I thought it should be, based on some extra info I was able to get once we returned.
Now fast forward 5 hours to 9pm... That's when I got the phone call.
"So it was orange, with 6 arms quite large" I explained
"Yep that's what we found" she replied. "I'll contact them and let them know and get it back up here from South Australia"

God is good

This week I had been feeling a bit done as business is a bit slow, so this news certainly put things back in perspective.

1) The drone I lost. Was never really lost, God knew where it was.
2) Someone found it after 3 months
3) The person who found it was an Adventist.
4) The running joke in our family is from our Honeymoon experience in the South Island of New Zealand. While visiting Greymouth Adventist church a lady came up to us and asked where we were from. Australia (if she couldn't tell by our pure English accents. She naturally said oh you must know my daughter ..... (I can't remember now but hey initials are CC) So I'm there like, sure lady we will know her. She then adds that the daughter goes to Chatswood church. (Like I would know every Adventist in Australia) then Sandy pipes up.
"Actually my best friend Carina Cotaru goes to Chatswood church and we do prayer partners together. On a couple of occasions she had mentioned this girl at the church and had talked about her and that her initials were the same as hers CC."
So yes was the answer I guess we gave her. We know off your daughter. Small world.
.... So not only was it an Adventist who found it but a sister of a good friend.
5) As much as God doesn't answer us when we want Him to most of the time, it doesn't mean that He won't.
6) Nothing is to big or too small to ask Him for.

Anyway this week was a good week. Praise God.

I won't specify the portion the following is applicable to in order to avoid religious discussion,

"Indeed"

You have more on your side looking out for you than you may recognize.

**** Contains Religious beliefs ****
You can PM me if you wish to talk about that side. Please don't post it here as we don't want to offend those with different beliefs. Thanks Haydn

So as you all know. During our trip in September/October with my sister Angie we had some on going "issues" one of those was me losing the drone in Rainbow Valley.
I spent a couple of days tramping through the outback doing a lot of praying to try and find my drone. Angie helped my wife Sandy and the kids helped by staying out of grumpies way.... You get the picture. So that was October 4th

On Thursday night I received a phone call from a good friend.
"Hey mate."
"Hey" I said "what's happening?"
"You lost your drone at Rainbow Valley, Right?"
"Yes, thanks for reminding me. I needed to be reminded they I lost $4000+ worth of drone. " I not so happily replied.
"Well I think my sister found it!..."
"WHAT??"
"I'll put her on"

Now mind you she didn't know I had actually lost this drone.
She was just debriefing her brother and sister in law about her holiday.
She has been on a literature evangelist trip in South Australia before Christmas and they had to shut down since there is a ban on any door to door activities during the Christmas/New Year week.
They all decided to head up to assure Ayres Rock and then to Alice Springs Church.
They climbed the rock and then drive to Rainbow Valley and started the night.
The next day they went out for a walk around the park some of the more adventurous (silly) decided to climb the side of the rocks and climbed up onto the top.
At some point one of them found a drone. They search around a bit more and found a couple of other parts and brought them back.
They didn't mention anything to the others, and the Pastor from a Alice Springs happened to beer with them as well and new nothing of their find.
Fast forward from boxing day to Thursday.
David Gilmore there Alice Springs pastor was out visiting us and I mentioned in parsing about losing my drone at Rainbow Valley and that if he every goes back there could be have a look for it... I would give him some directions to where I thought it should be, based on some extra info I was able to get once we returned.
Now fast forward 5 hours to 9pm... That's when I got the phone call.
"So it was orange, with 6 arms quite large" I explained
"Yep that's what we found" she replied. "I'll contact them and let them know and get it back up here from South Australia"

God is good

This week I had been feeling a bit done as business is a bit slow, so this news certainly put things back in perspective.

1) The drone I lost. Was never really lost, God knew where it was.
2) Someone found it after 3 months
3) The person who found it was an Adventist.
4) The running joke in our family is from our Honeymoon experience in the South Island of New Zealand. While visiting Greymouth Adventist church a lady came up to us and asked where we were from. Australia (if she couldn't tell by our pure English accents. She naturally said oh you must know my daughter ..... (I can't remember now but hey initials are CC) So I'm there like, sure lady we will know her. She then adds that the daughter goes to Chatswood church. (Like I would know every Adventist in Australia) then Sandy pipes up.
"Actually my best friend Carina Cotaru goes to Chatswood church and we do prayer partners together. On a couple of occasions she had mentioned this girl at the church and had talked about her and that her initials were the same as hers CC."
So yes was the answer I guess we gave her. We know off your daughter. Small world.
.... So not only was it an Adventist who found it but a sister of a good friend.
5) As much as God doesn't answer us when we want Him to most of the time, it doesn't mean that He won't.
6) Nothing is to big or too small to ask Him for.

Anyway this week was a good week. Praise God.

As a guitarist I do believe David Gilmore is God. Does he fly Drones as well?

That's good news, I'm so glad :)

Now it's pink, it'll be more discreet when it crosses the skies again :D

I've been looking to see if I told you. The first drone I had, a toy that the wife gave me on my birthday, I lost 30 seconds after starting to fly it the first day. As soon as I got over the roof, a gust of wind blew it up quickly, I lost the cover and I couldn't do anything. He left right in the same direction of the sun and I couldn't see anything. I put up posters everywhere and here comes the good stuff, like 3 months later I was called home and a farmer friend had found it when I was harvesting a sunflower field. Bird that was perfectly all right and I just had to discard the dead battery. I just had to put a new battery in and run. Looks like yours on a 3-month vacation had enough, too. :p

The fact that I found it was the one that pushed me into this drone thing. My wife still regrets a little bit of having given it to me by looking at the size of the birds I have now :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to seeing that new model crisscrossing the skies.
World premiere!!!!, the reborn drone named "Haydn's Pink Bird" makes its maiden flight

Congratulations Haydn :D

When you look to the heavens, ref 31st January 2018 Full Moon and realise its not a balloon, you are sane.
We loose faith to easily. We fly above in his firmament.
If we have inate gut feelings, that today is a no fly day.
Take heed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atas77my