Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First impressions ** MAJOR Update page 5 post #90 **

Week I had to leave it and continue our holiday.
I need someone to try and work out how to read the files.
Will have internet on the weekend so I'll upload all the files I have on it.

Anyone know how to check gPS Logs?

That's bad news. I'm so sorry, Haydn :(

Remember how you had the Failsafes set up? It's important information to try and figure out what the aircraft did.

To read the logs try Mission Planner

Only a few flights. Telemetry only in .tlog format.

If it gives you any trouble here, some advice from Bob.

getting a hold and the be able to read the tlogs

Inside the bad you can use Typhoon H to look for it.

Let us know how your progress is going so we can try to help you.

Now you have to be insistent, I tell you that I found an aircraft 3 months later and appeared 4 km beyond where it was supposed to be and all without telemetry. You have telemetry and by doing a memory exercise remember the actions you took you can do it.

Good luck and if you need any help, here you've got us ;)

If you have .ulog files you can upload them on the UAV Toolbox website. I've not added .tlog format to the parser yet...

Reactions: arruntus
If you have .ulog files you can upload them on the UAV Toolbox website. I've not added .tlog format to the parser yet...

With Mission Planeer you can convert. tlog files to .csv files.

Let's see if we can help together :)

Better idea, which makes sense. Why doesn't Yuneec publicly post info about the new telemetry file format and how to make use of it?

I've seen the documentation on .tlog - it's a horrendous format, horrendously documented. Not Yuneec's fault.

.ulog files are produced by the flight controller, though I've not yet had a chance to sort out some official instructions as to how you get to them.

I've seen the documentation on .tlog - it's a horrendous format, horrendously documented. Not Yuneec's fault.

.ulog files are produced by the flight controller, though I've not yet had a chance to sort out some official instructions as to how you get to them.

Mission Planner is open source. If you take a look at it, it'll probably make things a lot easier for you.

Mission Planner is open source. If you take a look at it, it'll probably make things a lot easier for you.

I'm fully aware of that :) It doesn't make the file format any nicer.

It has always been at best difficult, designed around engineering in both language and application.

It has always been at best difficult, designed around engineering in both language and application.

Hehe, I just wrote a rant about it, but on reflection it's not worth sharing. I'm more than happy with engineering challenges, but there is such a thing as making your own life difficult! :)

Hehe, now that Tuna is in his night time...
I just can not see Tuna making a rant. Tuna does not do rants, and that's a fact.

I know that Tlog (telemetry log) has been around quite a while, which fact alone does not make it good or useful. I just want to point out a few things about the 520. (Tuna is right about Tlog, but I think we do not need it.)

First, the 520 does not save telemetry logs unless you turn that option on. Here's why saving them may not be necessary or truly useful.
During the 520 flights, there is a constant display of pertinent information which you can examine at any time by tapping an icon. Remember that a screen capture will save this info at anytime during the flight.

In addition, the 520 internally analyzes GPS, compass, accelerometer, and other subsystems and informs of malfunctions or need for re-calibrations. The Typhoon H has no such abilities, or only primitive ones.

The 520 GPS positioning is accurate to within inches. The Typhoon H is not. The 520 barometric height function is extremely accurate. The Typhoon H is notably rarely correct. You can land the 520 like a feather, literally on a dime, or it can land autonomously and shut itself off.
The camera settings, separate for pics and videos, are remembered. Switch between videos and stills with a button click in flight.

Yes, the H520 looks like the a repainted TH, the ST16s looks like the ST16, but they are radically different craft systems.
The H520 may look expensive, but you get sophisticated autonomous flight mapping software that you own and do not have to pay monthly fees to use.

Reactions: Faz1
I just can not see Tuna making a rant. Tuna does not do rants, and that's a fact.

I know that Tlog (telemetry log) has been around quite a while, which fact alone does not make it good or useful. I just want to point out a few things about the 520. (Tuna is right about Tlog, but I think we do not need it.)

First, the 520 does not save telemetry logs unless you turn that option on. Here's why saving them may not be necessary or truly useful.
During the 520 flights, there is a constant display of pertinent information which you can examine at any time by tapping an icon. Remember that a screen capture will save this info at anytime during the flight.

In addition, the 520 internally analyzes GPS, compass, accelerometer, and other subsystems and informs of malfunctions or need for re-calibrations. The Typhoon H has no such abilities, or only primitive ones.

The 520 GPS positioning is accurate to within inches. The Typhoon H is not. The 520 barometric height function is extremely accurate. The Typhoon H is notably rarely correct. You can land the 520 like a feather, literally on a dime, or it can land autonomously and shut itself off.
The camera settings, separate for pics and videos, are remembered. Switch between videos and stills with a button click in flight.

Yes, the H520 looks like the a repainted TH, the ST16s looks like the ST16, but they are radically different craft systems.
The H520 may look expensive, but you get sophisticated autonomous flight mapping software that you own and do not have to pay monthly fees to use.

I have no doubt it's a much better machine.

I'm just gonna put in a hit. Telemetry is always necessary. Simply in case of loss as it has already happened to be able to guide you through the GPS coordinates and find it. That alone is worth it. There are more reasons to do so but that would be the main one. When you're in trouble, the least you can think about is touching anything to start saving it.

Personally I could automatically save telemetry and the default option should be that for someone who has a problem, even if they don't understand, has something to hold on to at least.

Implementing an option to erase old files automatically for time and a certain amount of storage would be a good idea as well :)

Hi RR, Apologies for the ignorance. My machine has arrived however I am reluctant to launch after what has happened to Hayden. Would you be kind enough to advise how to turn on the tlogs please?

Turning on telemetry is covered in detail in the Owners Manual. You can turn it on in two different ways. Check page 40. Default is ON, I believe. You'll be fine. Just take it slow awhile, like you would in a new car.

@arruntus, how long have you been flying an H520? Here in the states, commercial ops have to be LOS unless they obtain a FAA waiver.
Is it different in Spain?:)

Turning on telemetry is covered in detail in the Owners Manual. You can turn it on in two different ways. Check page 40. Default is ON, I believe. You'll be fine. Just take it slow awhile, like you would in a new car.

@arruntus, how long have you been flying an H520? Here in the states, commercial ops have to be LOS unless they obtain a FAA waiver.
Thanks RR. Much appreciated. Very experienced with DJI however now adding Yuneec to the hangar for more robust inspection requirements. Was dissapointed with DJI M200 series and pricepoint inc the features inc. Beautiful machines to fly but significant limitations with one of my major clients - inc only 4 spinners.
Thanks for your help. Am intending to soak entire manual into my head - along with all the fantastic advice given on this awesome sharing platform - prior to launching....could be a while before I give myself the green light....

Telemetry is the backbone of every UAV incident investigation and the foundation of resolving soft and firmware issues. Creating and maintaining system telemetry should be a mandate, not an option. Lacking telemetry enables a condition where a user would be flat out of luck with a warranty. No telemetry? So sorry, buy another one.

Here the regulation has been in place for 3 years and it is also 400 feet height and 1640 feet horizontally from the Home. The birds I have are mounted by me and I use Pixhawk which is practically the same flight controller as the H520, or the same one. The truth is that it is much more complicated because it has many more parameters. It is necessary to invest a lot of time to configure everything well before the first flight since it is designed for all types of aircraft. Then there is also a lot of retouching to make it work well with the aircraft you are flying. It's hard but very satisfying when you get it, it's very powerful.

We have been waiting for more than 1 year for a change of regulations that allows us to fly in an urban environment. The idea is to be able to do it in VLOS and at a very close distance but still there is nothing definitive. By next year they are supposed to have a European law regulating a common European airspace. We'll see, politicians are very slow.

Regarding telemetry I think it is essential but in Pixhawk you have several levels of data recording available. When the aircraft is not configured, it is set at the highest level to properly control all drone parameters and correct faults. Once well configured, it goes down to the most basic level that stores battery levels and a few other things that take up little space and is a safeguard in case of any problems. As I see people concerned about the space occupied by logs, I would find it interesting to have an option with automatic deletion of logs by time or space occupied. The size of the micro SD card you can put it up to 32GB I think I remember. As is not the case with the H520, at least easily, the auto delete function becomes more useful.

To fly BVLOS it is necessary that the aircraft weighs less than 2KG and ask permission. Hence the H520 is a good option, I was about to buy the H480 until I heard that the new version was going to come out and the truth is that it was a pleasant surprise to see everything that has evolved. And I think it still has a lot more potential. It is also possible to fly at twice the horizontal distance while communicating with another pilot via radio. Another pilot sits at 1640 feet and you can double that distance.

Using GeoFence is useful and helpful when you are not aware of other things or simply don't want to be fined. The fines are very high and due to a misunderstanding the consequences can be very serious.

Well unfortunately I had to leave the area and only have a Mac with me so couldn't do the above Awesome suggestions.
I will look at the tlogs when I get a chance then try and contact a ranger and get them to look for it based on what I might find.
Offer to pay off course.
Very disappointed that the system different allow you to just"replay" the previous flight.

I'm hoping that you can also program the flight to default to return along the flight path on loss of signal.
Considering the craft came from a certain direction. Then you know it is safe to return that same way.
This would be a great feature to allow to set as the default.
I'm still waiting to here what the official Loss of signal default action is.

Well unfortunately I had to leave the area and only have a Mac with me so couldn't do the above Awesome suggestions.
I will look at the tlogs when I get a chance then try and contact a ranger and get them to look for it based on what I might find.
Offer to pay off course.
Very disappointed that the system different allow you to just"replay" the previous flight.

I'm hoping that you can also program the flight to default to return along the flight path on loss of signal.
Considering the craft came from a certain direction. Then you know it is safe to return that same way.
This would be a great feature to allow to set as the default.

I'm afraid that depends on how you configured FailSafes. This can be seen in the logs, and from them you can also see the drone trajectory until you lose the signal which can give a good hint.

If you can get them up there somewhere, we can take a look at.

Default is Return to Launch site. It will rise to the set point (66' default?), then come at top speed directly toward the Launch GPS site and land itself, assuming Angle Mode has been used throughout. If a hill or other obstacle higher than the set point is in between that direct path it will crash into that obstacle.
This is my understanding.

Reactions: Haydn

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss