Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

flight boundaries

HRC

Reaction score
I am a senior digital media student and I am currently making an aerial video of our school for the school website.

If I am flying only above the school grounds and taking off and landing from the school grounds, do I still need to request permission from, or inform businesses who are within 50 meters of the school even though I am staying within the schools boundaries?

I am a senior digital media student and I am currently making an aerial video of our school for the school website.

If I am flying only above the school grounds and taking off and landing from the school grounds, do I still need to request permission from, or inform businesses who are within 50 meters of the school even though I am staying within the schools boundaries?
Depends on whether you are flying with PfCO exemptions and whether the school is in a congested area.

My suspicion is that the school is in a congested area. The fact that you are talking about businesses within 50m of the school property makes me think this. Assuming that you are not a PfCO holder then you may not fly anywhere within 150m of a congested area even if you are taking off from private land. On the other hand, If you do hold a PfCO (I suspect not otherwise you would not be asking the question) then you may fly within a congested area so long as you stay 50m away from public, structures, dwellings, etc, not under your control (30m during take-off and landing phases). Don't forget: It's not just the buildings/businesses that make a congested area...you also need to consider the public going to and from those businesses. You cannot block a public right of way.

Now, again assuming you do not hold a PfCO. What is the footage to be used for? Will it be used to promote the school? Will the school be benefiting financially or from consideration by having your footage on their web site? If so, then that would be seen as a commercial operation which would require you to hold a current PfCO and commercial insurance.

I'm also a PfCO and agree with FlushVision, he put across the limitations well of trying to fly a drone legally in a town or city. Also watch out for No Fly Zones (NFZs) around airports, etc.

However the last paragraph I'm not sure I can agree fully with. The CAA will allow any organisation to use drone derived data/imagery/footage for their own self promotion uses legally without a PfCO. I'm sure theres plenty of scenarios which will then become a grey area with this rule, ie are you a student of the school, or a member of the faculty, can the school be considered as a commercial organisation at all, etc.

However I reckon the flight restrictions will be more of an issue.

Reactions: FlushVision
I'm also a PfCO and agree with FlushVision, he put across the limitations well of trying to fly a drone legally in a town or city. Also watch out for No Fly Zones (NFZs) around airports, etc.

However the last paragraph I'm not sure I can agree fully with. The CAA will allow any organisation to use drone derived data/imagery/footage for their own self promotion uses legally without a PfCO. I'm sure theres plenty of scenarios which will then become a grey area with this rule, ie are you a student of the school, or a member of the faculty, can the school be considered as a commercial organisation at all, etc.

However I reckon the flight restrictions will be more of an issue.
Thanks for putting me right on my last paragraph. I was being a bit lazy with that.

OK, thanks for your help.
The area is an industrial estate, so it is not housing or shops etc, so it is not congested.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal