Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flir Duo Pro on h520

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am new hereю It is a great forum on this drone with a lot of helpful information.
I am considering buying h520 and turning it into a thermal drone.

I could find some gimbals on the internet that can be used to mount and control pan and get video link from FLIR Vue Pro but it seems there is nothing that will do the same for Flir Duo Pro camera.

May be I am missing something so any help would be appreciated.

The one that can be used on H520 with Flir Vue Pro are from DroneExprets. They have even sent me a picture with a Flir Vue Pro mounted on H520 behind Yuneec camera. Not really an ideal solution as it does not look like both cameras can be pointed to the same object and a Flir is sitting behind making it impossible to pictures objects in front of it. See attached image.

There is one gimbal for Flir Duo Pro that can be controlled via a separate controller but it is not some drone model specific so I am not sure how to mount it on H520 and link all camera functions to a separate remote controller.and most important to get a video stream.
Sky Eye-Duo Pro 3-Axis Drone Gimbal For FLIR Duo Pro R Thermal Camera

DO you know any other options?

I would prefer a version from drone Experts as their gimbal should work with St16 for a gimbal pan control and streaming video to a separate screen. Flir camera settings control should not be a problem with Flir APP and Bluetooth.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 95
I don't know about the Flir duo setup but I have thermal on my H920 +. What I have done is purchase the h920 connecting bracket PN YUNH920P104 (order from EU) and then the CGO-ET camera can be used after binding to the ST16. From what I can tell, the CGO-ET is very similar to the duo in performance and has 2 cameras side by side, 1 thermal, 1 low light 4K. Since it's all yuneec, it works with the ST16 controller without any other hardware / software.IMG_20180304_100106.jpg

In looking at this again, I see that you are using the 520 so you don't need the bracket at all, the CGO-ET will slide right on the 520.

I don't know about the Flir duo setup but I have thermal on my H920 +. What I have done is purchase the h920 connecting bracket PN YUNH920P104 (order from EU) and then the CGO-ET camera can be used after binding to the ST16. From what I can tell, the CGO-ET is very similar to the duo in performance and has 2 cameras side by side, 1 thermal, 1 low light 4K. Since it's all yuneec, it works with the ST16 controller without any other hardware / software.View attachment 8817

Thank you Matt. I would be more than happy to go with their stock thermal camera if it was at least 332 resolution. However it is only 160 and it is not a match for Flir Duo Pro R with 640. I have $10-12K budget in USD($15 000 AUD) for the whole setup and If I can find a proper gimbal under AU$2000 it seems I can fit into it.

May be even less if I can find a used Flir Duo Pro R but even a new one that will cost me about $11000 in AUD or 8500 in usd it seems it can be done.

I do not have H520 yet but I think for what they ask for it without any camera it is a best deal. I do not want to go with anything less than hexacopter. I was thinking about Inspire 2 but seeing reports of it breaking one arm during its flight put me aside from it or anything with less than 6 motors.

CopterLab replied to my email and they say they can make a gimbal for Flir Duo Pro and H520 but they asking questions I do not know the answers to untill I buy H520.

May be somebody here can answer the question below

"how many pins stock gimbal owns for powering and remote controlling ?"

Actually I remembered another great thing about H520. Yuneec offers SDK to program it. It is bad I am a former web developer for Windows and have never done hardware programming but I think with their SDK and a proper Android developer it may be possible to get it done.

Give them this post. Haydn could help you if they have any more questions.

H520 and E90 parts and teardown

Thanks a lot arruntus. I was googling for it all day yesterday but my mistake I was looking for videos and forgot that it can be posted as images :) CopterLab has the link to this thread so I am sure it will be helpful for them to see if they can do it or not.

I was told today that Yuneec is working on 640 resolution thermal camera and it may be available by the end of this year. I think with this news I will just get E90 combo to do some real estate and 3D mapping and wait for their new thermal camera. The price to be expected for 640 thermal from Yuneec is $8000 and it is going to have two sensors.

I was told today that Yuneec is working on 640 resolution thermal camera and it may be available by the end of this year. I think with this news I will just get E90 combo to do some real estate and 3D mapping and wait for their new thermal camera. The price to be expected for 640 thermal from Yuneec is $8000 and it is going to have two sensors.

It's the same price as the Flir Duo Pro or less. With the difference that it will include the gymbal. If it has the same features it would be a good price.

Wingman,

Curious what you are planning for your Thermal camera. I only ask because it seemed you needed something right now, but now you can wait for a new Yuneec release.

I am asking only because I have some interest in thermal as well; some local organizations have expressed some future interest in thermal/IR studies.

If you would rather send a private message, feel free.

Thanks!

Jeff

My idea was that thermal imaging with drones market has less competition for many reasons, for example

1)It requires more skills than doing real estate
2)It requires much more investment in business tools than just a 4K drone.

I have a partner who is great with shooting real estate videos as he has many years experience in filmmaking and working on TV as a camera man. He has been doing drones real estate for about 4 years. My thoughts were I would get a thermal drone, do some training with Flir for at least Certificate Level 1, get familiar with all aspects doing thermal inspections for residential solar panels. After I get all new skills and experience we will pass it to each other so either of us can do both real estate and thermal. This way we both have the same skills and should be able to do much bigger jobs both in real estate and thermal.

However at this point it seems I will have a lot of problems with just finding a right gimbal with full control for Flir Due Pro.

With new details about a new thermal 640 camera I have decided to put aside all these experiments with quite expensive hardware and simply wait for a new Yuneec thermal setup while getting skills in real estate.

I should get my H520 bundle with e90 today delivered by an australian distributor within next hour. Cannot wait even though it is raining almost non stop for 2-3 days and I do not think I will have any chance to fly it today. But I am also getting a Yuneec USB trainer so at least I can get familiar with all ST16 controls no matter if it rains or not.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
It's the same price as the Flir Duo Pro or less. With the difference that it will include the gymbal. If it has the same features it would be a good price.

I will confirm today that it is actually in USD as it may be in AUD which will make its USD price even less. It is very unlikely I have been told its price in AUD but who knows.

Hi guys,

I am new hereю It is a great forum on this drone with a lot of helpful information.
I am considering buying h520 and turning it into a thermal drone.

I could find some gimbals on the internet that can be used to mount and control pan and get video link from FLIR Vue Pro but it seems there is nothing that will do the same for Flir Duo Pro camera.

May be I am missing something so any help would be appreciated.

The one that can be used on H520 with Flir Vue Pro are from DroneExprets. They have even sent me a picture with a Flir Vue Pro mounted on H520 behind Yuneec camera. Not really an ideal solution as it does not look like both cameras can be pointed to the same object and a Flir is sitting behind making it impossible to pictures objects in front of it. See attached image.

There is one gimbal for Flir Duo Pro that can be controlled via a separate controller but it is not some drone model specific so I am not sure how to mount it on H520 and link all camera functions to a separate remote controller.and most important to get a video stream.
Sky Eye-Duo Pro 3-Axis Drone Gimbal For FLIR Duo Pro R Thermal Camera

DO you know any other options?

I would prefer a version from drone Experts as their gimbal should work with St16 for a gimbal pan control and streaming video to a separate screen. Flir camera settings control should not be a problem with Flir APP and Bluetooth.

If your budget is $10-12k USD, why not consider an Inspire 1 with Zenmuse XT 640? It's an integrated solution, so you won't need a second monitor for the thermal camera.

I am afraid it will be $20000-24000 in AUD as for some unknown reason DJI uses 0.5 conversion rate from USD to AUD while in fact it is close to 0.8 Plus it is a bit scary to have a $10000-15000 camera on a four engine vehicle.

Reactions: arruntus
I got my H520 yesterday. The first impression the drone is smaller than I thought(not in a bad way) but ST16 is much bigger than I thought.

Unfortunately I could not get their USB trainer working. It seems all their instructions are for those who have Typhoon H software on their ST16 but H520 uses a different one(Datapilot 1.3.0) on ST16. My distributor is trying to figure out how to bind it with ST16 for H520. If he cannot find it I would return it and try to learn all controls the harder way(trying to fly an actual drone)

And I want to say Thank you to Haydn from mountain view enterprise who is the only distributor for Yuneec brand in Australia. He spent almost two hours at my place yesterday explaining us every detail about this drone, its controller and e90 camera.

Reactions: Haydn
Yeah, the ST16S gets a little big, but it's comfortable. Leaning the edge of the hands on the radio station and moving the sticks with your fingertips is the best way to achieve precision in handling the aircraft.
You have the possibility to use a desk, in copter. eu you have several possibilities. Something that helps a lot more than people think. Not only for comfort, but for precision flying.

copter.eu - The YUNEEC Experts

I am afraid it will be $20000-24000 in AUD as for some unknown reason DJI uses 0.5 conversion rate from USD to AUD while in fact it is close to 0.8 Plus it is a bit scary to have a $10000-15000 camera on a four engine vehicle.
I understand your concerns for having that kind of money hanging off of a 4-motor aircraft for sure, but I would assume you would be insuring your equipment, so that shouldn't be an issue. The conversion rate issue is another problem entirely.

I understand your concerns for having that kind of money hanging off of a 4-motor aircraft for sure, but I would assume you would be insuring your equipment, so that shouldn't be an issue. The conversion rate issue is another problem entirely.

Drone insurance prices are not cheap, only insuring the damage you cause. Few companies secure the drone and prices are exorbitant. At least what I looked at. Keep in mind that equipment at this level is worth a lot of money so they ask you for a lot of money for insurance or directly tell you that they do not make you insurance :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airconditionerservice