Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Fly away and other issues

Have you ever experienced a bug/problem flying? Eg: a fly away

• Total voters
And I agree 100%. Your comment is politically incorrect, and people aren't supposed to do that these days, you know. But, IMO, as an amateur Typhoon H owner, the "issues" we see on these forums are from the "cowboy" fliers you refer to.

RTFM, don't fly beyond one's skill and experience level, and don't do anything STUPID, and most of the time, things will work out fine. .

in time you'll come to know I am never,ever politically correct;) I like to meet issues head on and resolve them as quickly as possible, not defer them for another day or minimize in order to avoid. I'm to old to waste time beating around the bushes:)

Also look up Jeff Sibelius as he has a Playlist of YouTube videos dedicated to getting started and flying the Typhoon H.

Jeff Sibelius

To the original question: my only hiccup with Yuneec was a firmware update last year that didn't go well. Finally resolved by following a video by Jef Sibelius on using a micro SD card instead of the OTA update.

I've had my share of mishaps with my TH480 but if I'm honest they were all pilot errors.
Known about Jeff for a few weeks, he is also a great person to go to if you have any problems, definetly find his videos helpful

(Meant for those coming across this thread, with little or no experience, yet doing the right thing by putting in the research time and effort.)

One suggestion not yet seen in this thread... get a small, inexpensive (as in $35-$45 U.S.) Hubsan or similar, and fly the crap out of it while sitting on your duff watching TV. You will likely end up ordering a second as it is 1) not as easy as one thinks, and 2) is addicting once one gets the hang of it.

With no GPS to fall back on, one learns to rely on actual piloting skills. Get those and the nerves are much more calm when sending your $1000 baby that first 1000 feet away!

Just sayin’

Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: Campbell and PatR
And I agree 100%. Your comment is politically incorrect, and people aren't supposed to do that these days, you know. But, IMO, as an amateur Typhoon H owner, the "issues" we see on these forums are from the "cowboy" fliers you refer to.

RTFM, don't fly beyond one's skill and experience level, and don't do anything STUPID, and most of the time, things will work out fine.

OK, sure, there will be those infrequent anomolies, such that the drone will ignore commands and go off on its own. But if good judgement and common sense prevail, those events will be extremely uncommon.
"Politically incorrect", wow, another brain washed Li.... He is so:confused:!

Last edited:
I nearly had a flyway twice actually.

I was flying for about 10 mins and I came into land and it started to drift badly. More or less full stick was required to stop the drift.

It was getting closer to water so I decided to just crash into a wall rather than lose it in water. The throttle was about only thing I had control of.

I sent it back to yuneec UK and they blamed old firmware and test flew it. On the second flight back in my possession it done exactly the same thing but this time rather than fight it I just landed it immediately and live with it toppling over.

They replaced the full thing at that point citing a GPS problem showing in logs.

I have only flown the replacement one twice in 6 months as I fly over water a lot so I bought a phantom 4 which so far has been faultless. It doesn't fly as nicely though and getting good shots is harder for sure but I have confidence in it thus far....catch 22 which one I use.

I am far from a dji fan, my earlier phantoms were solo unreliable which is why I bought the H. Truth be told I've lost faith in the H which is a shame as it is sitting here doing nothing for last 6 months.

Maybe the new camera will get me using it again when they release it.

Reactions: Campbell
I nearly had a flyway twice actually.

I was flying for about 10 mins and I came into land and it started to drift badly. More or less full stick was required to stop the drift.

It was getting closer to water so I decided to just crash into a wall rather than lose it in water. The throttle was about only thing I had control of.

I sent it back to yuneec UK and they blamed old firmware and test flew it. On the second flight back in my possession it done exactly the same thing but this time rather than fight it I just landed it immediately and live with it toppling over.

They replaced the full thing at that point citing a GPS problem showing in logs.

I have only flown the replacement one twice in 6 months as I fly over water a lot so I bought a phantom 4 which so far has been faultless. It doesn't fly as nicely though and getting good shots is harder for sure but I have confidence in it thus far....catch 22 which one I use.

I am far from a dji fan, my earlier phantoms were solo unreliable which is why I bought the H. Truth be told I've lost faith in the H which is a shame as it is sitting here doing nothing for last 6 months.

Maybe the new camera will get me using it again when they release it.

Raptor,

Hopefully your H will regain your trust sometime soon and join the rest of us who are thoroughly enjoying ours.

I, too, fly almost exclusively over water. During the unfrozen months, a “Getterback” device is always attached to a leg, just in case I get stupid, like not paying attention to fuel levels. Despite an early “oscillating flight” episode, I still have full confidence.

Be a shame if your’s just collects dust, especially since it is a completely different hull than the one that experienced issues.

Jeff

Jeff,

It is a shame yes as it is a completely new craft including st16 plus and it does fly better than a phantom 4 for sure.

I have no reason to doubt the new one but the batteries might even be knackered as I haven't touched them in many months now.

Had a drop out of the "blue" that wrecked my camera (YUNEEc replaced it for free), 2 flyaways and a few crashes (totally my fault) with my H. All my problems (except the crashes) happened after the first battery warning. I had lost my confidence after those incidents and flying the H with legs down and without camera (just in case) helped me gain my confidence back. I now try to land by 14,5V and I have done several flights lately and even above water and in quite some wind and I am super happy with the performance of the H. Twice I had 1 engine fail (one time hit a branch (broke prop) and other time one motor seized (the housing was damaged from 1 of the crashes) and I could land the H safely on 5 rotors both time.
Knowing what I know now (which is not much after only 1 year of RC), as long as one does their homework on batteries and gets the right chargers etc I would totally recommend the H.
Thanks to the experts on this forum, I understand the importance of planning flights and evaluating the risks, the importance of maintenance of all devices involved and many other things. There are many mistakes I have made and there will be loads more I guess, that´s how learning works, isn't it?
Learning to fly well and mastering the camera are quite a challenge and require knowledge and tons of practice.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorWiscPilot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy