Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

flying near mobile phone masts/antenna

@John S Just wondering, why are you doing this? Is this the USA? If yes me thinks you're just looking for trouble with the authorities (just MHO, not looking to be argumentative here).

Looking at the picture unless something has changed since the last time I drove in the USofA cars and trucks drove on the right hand side of the road not the left. :)
@John S Just wondering, why are you doing this? Is this the USA? If yes me thinks you're just looking for trouble with the authorities (just MHO, not looking to be argumentative here).

Reactions: John S
I fly very close to a cell tower frequently. By very close I mean within 100' or less. However, I never assume their is no risk or that compass, GPS, or flight controls will always function correctly. There is always the risk today will not be that same as yesterday when everything worked fine. Today could be a disaster, but I accepted th risk by choosing to fly there.

I think it's important for people to recognize they are individually responsible for assessing risk and making a go-no go decision, and not be looking for someone else to provide a blanket statement something is safe or not safe. Flying is not inherently dangerous but the decisions we make as individuals can be. There will always be some risk involved and everyone has to make a risk assessment that fits within their comfort zone. If not comfortable with the risk and possible outcome, don't fly.

As for the legality of flying near cell towers in the USA, to my knowledge such activity is not restricted, but to be safe we should consult the FAR's and local ordinances for verification. Of course, if anything happened with the tower or transmissions because of your flying you would be held responsible.

Just doing it to get some footage for our new website...got my licence, or rather Permission For Aerial Work from the CAA, and want going to offer aerial inspections as well as property videos, events and stuff...thought it would look good! and I'm in the uk, not a problem...I think!

I fly very close to a cell tower frequently. By very close I mean within 100' or less. However, I never assume their is no risk or that compass, GPS, or flight controls will always function correctly. There is always the risk today will not be that same as yesterday when everything worked fine. Today could be a disaster, but I accepted th risk by choosing to fly there.

I think it's important for people to recognize they are individually responsible for assessing risk and making a go-no go decision, and not be looking for someone else to provide a blanket statement something is safe or not safe. Flying is not inherently dangerous but the decisions we make as individuals can be. There will always be some risk involved and everyone has to make a risk assessment that fits within their comfort zone. If not comfortable with the risk and possible outcome, don't fly.

As for the legality of flying near cell towers in the USA, to my knowledge such activity is not restricted, but to be safe we should consult the FAR's and local ordinances for verification. Of course, if anything happened with the tower or transmissions because of your flying you would be held responsible.

Yep, I was aware that it could have been an issue, but decided that I'd take the calculated risk...

John,

I think it's important for people to individually do as you did. Consider and review the risk, and make a personal decision either way. I often think many look to a post on the internet to make a safe or not safe decision and if things don't go the way the internet info suggested they would try to put responsibility on the individual that wrote the internet info. Cell towers and repeaters are interesting things but we don't know what frequencies are being broadcast, the power levels, or how combinations of frequencies might combine to influence our systems.

Last edited:
John,

I think it's important for people to individually do as you did. Consider and review the risk, and make a personal decision either way. I often think many look to a post on the internet to make a safe or not safe decision and if things don't go the way the internet info suggested they would try to put responsibility on the individual that wrote the internet info. Cell towers and repeaters are interesting things but we don't know what frequencies are being broadcast, the power levels, or how combinations for frequencies might combine and influence our systems.
Spot on! The masts I chose to film were in a fairly open area, I took it slowly and monitored the flight characteristics carefully as I got closer...and I knew that if I did have a problem it would be my responsibility!

I had some concerns shooting a band yesterday during sound checks that used a few wireless devices as part of their stage equipment. Nobody new if they might interfere with the H so a full battery was used to determine if there might be any effects. Started out quite some distance away and slowly walked it forward checking control responses all the way. Things worked out well with this shoot but the next one might use something different that could make for a problem. Every day is a new day and never the same as yesterday.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop