Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flying over water

You can fly the spark over bodies of water. My son lives in Hawaii, he has taken the spark to capture surfing footage. He and his friends takes turns in capturing each other while surfing.

I've fly over water many times, but my H camera was a bit nervous for some reason this particular day. All my video and pictures came out fuzzy.
untitledAugust 17, 201801.jpg

Last edited:
I've fly over water many times, but my H camera was a bit nervous for some reason this particular day. All my video and pictures came out fuzzyView attachment 11512

Did you do a series of elimination? Of why it was different on this day vs other days? For photo was your settings incorrectly, same as video? A small things such as anti flicker, and even the wrong codec can throw off your video.

@record.play.rewind It was about 9:30am. As usual I use ND filter, ISO 100, Sutter speed 125 that particular morning. I had it in video mode, then a couple of stills.
I use manual mode with all my shots.
@NorWiscPilot co-pilot is always distracting me in many ways.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: record.play.rewind
I've fly over water many times, but my H camera was a bit nervous for some reason this particular day. All my video and pictures came out fuzzy.

The last time I flew over water, Half way through the flight, the drone came up with the low battery warning. Plus my remote was down to 7% battery, and on a portable charger. But it couldn't sustain the battery. I made it back home and was landing the drone, It went into RTH mode 5ft above the ground. The gimbal was getting shaky and started to lean to the side. It is weird how the cameras act funny over water sometimes. The footage never got fuzzy though. Weird.

By reading all the comments it seems that only dji drones get confused over water . I only have one drone that’s not dji and it’s a Q-500 . I can’t get any range out of it so I don’t even use it anymore. I flew it about 6 times . At 600-800 feet the camera view is gone and shortly after that it loses signal and does a return to home .
I think there's some confusion here... the bigger Yuneec Typhoon-class drones, like DJI Phantoms and above, navigate using GPS, magnetic compass and, in some cases, radar. No water issues! But the OP was referring to a Spark, which, like a Yuneec Breeze, is called a "selfie drone" -- less sophisticated navigation, which keeps the cost low. They navigate optically, with optical/infrared "eyes" on their bellies, looking downward. In order to navigate, or even hold position, they need to "see" a distinct pattern of some kind. A giant swath of unmarked pavement? No good. Add some painted stripes, and now things are better. A field of grass which stretches onward with nothing visually unique? Also a problem. And that's the reason water is a problem. Not because it's wet, or because it's electrically conductive; it's simply the fact that it's a uniform, endlessly-repeating texture, and there are no unique visual characteristics for optical, downward-looking navigation. (My two cents.)

Reactions: PatR and thoneter
I think there's some confusion here... the bigger Yuneec Typhoon-class drones, like DJI Phantoms and above, navigate using GPS, magnetic compass and, in some cases, radar. No water issues! But the OP was referring to a Spark, which, like a Yuneec Breeze, is called a "selfie drone" -- less sophisticated navigation, which keeps the cost low. They navigate optically, with optical/infrared "eyes" on their bellies, looking downward. In order to navigate, or even hold position, they need to "see" a distinct pattern of some kind. A giant swath of unmarked pavement? No good. Add some painted stripes, and now things are better. A field of grass which stretches onward with nothing visually unique? Also a problem. And that's the reason water is a problem. Not because it's wet, or because it's electrically conductive; it's simply the fact that it's a uniform, endlessly-repeating texture, and there are no unique visual characteristics for optical, downward-looking navigation. (My two cents.)
Hmmm, I have tons of lake pics but never had an issue as shown above. So my guess I manually adjusted for the wrong ISO and or Shutter.

By reading all the comments it seems that only dji drones get confused over water . I only have one drone that’s not dji and it’s a Q-500 . I can’t get any range out of it so I don’t even use it anymore. I flew it about 6 times . At 600-800 feet the camera view is gone and shortly after that it loses signal and does a return to home .
My Yuneec Breeze does seem to get very confused over water. It stops and refuses to go forward sometimes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis