Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flying with the birds

Reaction score
Have the Typhoon H plus for about 3 months and I wanted to see if I could fly with the pelicans here in Isreal. I encourage other photos to join.pelican postcard.pngvlcsnap-2018-12-01-00h46m56s942.png

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2018-12-01-00h47m44s307.png
    vlcsnap-2018-12-01-00h47m44s307.png
    8.2 MB · Views: 18
Reactions: bkthedj
I have not tried to fly with the birds, they don't like this new genetic bird thing flying next to them. Also we have a lot of folks that cry foul when flying next to fowl.

Depending on where you are it can be illegal as it is considered to be interfering with nature.

Birds of prey will attack a UAV even as big as the TH.

Your photos are awesome looking. My question to you is how were the pelicans reacting to the presence of your TH? Were they frightened, indifferent, or interested?

We get huge flocks of them where I go in Florida. At the beach near St. Augustine it is fun to watch them fly in formation along the breaking waves hunting for fish.

Is there a technique you use to approach and fly with them?

As lovely as they are, any one of them could take my drone down and turn it into a deadly projectile while simultaneously endangering an animal and shooting a big 'ol hole in my wallet. I'll pass!

Depending on where you are it can be illegal as it is considered to be interfering with nature.

Birds of prey will attack a UAV even as big as the TH.

Your photos are awesome looking. My question to you is how were the pelicans reacting to the presence of your TH? Were they frightened, indifferent, or interested?

We get huge flocks of them where I go in Florida. At the beach near St. Augustine it is fun to watch them fly in formation along the breaking waves hunting for fish.

Is there a technique you use to approach and fly with them?

Here where we live there are fish ponds, they try to scare the birds out by firing bang shots in the general area that the bird are in and also will use a siren to make them fly. I have filmed some hawks, birds of prey, also. My technique is to try to be at the same elevation and let them circle into me and stay stationary, letting them fly by me. Also, I try to move with them in the general direction with them in the shot. The birds are like a tornado in their movements on the wind. When the birds start to fly in the v pattern I try to be just off to the side and let them go by or behind them trying to keep up. So far the birds have not attacked the drone. They seem not to mind that it is there, as you can see in one photo a few of them are surprised that there is something in the way and have to make a quick change of path. For the most part, it appears that the drone does not interfere with them or that they care it is there. I try to keep in mind that the birds are the natural habitat and not to really interfere with them. And yes if one did hit the TH it would kill the wallet.
Side note, These pictures look like they were taken very close to the birds, for us that fly we know that the C23 can take amazing pictures from far but it also will produce this kind of shot from 5 meters away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio