Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Forest Preserve

Reaction score
Today I launch my Q500 4k bird in the air at Independence Grove, Libertyville Ilinois, I was on my second battery load winding down my flight when a Ranger police came and stated that I can not fly a drone on any forest preserved area. He said I have to get a permit and fly on their designated flying area for the model plane, I told him that drone is not model plane. It is for areal photography use. That spoils my fun. Did any one of encounter this problem. in your state. Any input out there..

The air is controlled by the FAA. The ground where you are operating from, that is local jurisdiction.

In the Denver CO Metro area, we have 2 NFZ (excluding the stadiums, helipads, regional airports, and farmer runways) that are in the Yuneec firmware. In the Northwest quarter where I reside, of all the local city and county municipal codes, there are only 2 that do not have anything that I could find in the books against flying RC aircraft in parks or open space. 225 square miles, and there is a whopping 1 square mile that I can fly in between two city parks large enough to do anything and not violate the other basic rules.

These are not new laws either. They have been on the books for decades.

You gotta do your research before you go out. I'll stomach a $250 quad getting confiscated by an over enthusiastic LEO if I screw up, but a $1400 investment - **** no.

Thanks for the advice, it seems like drone owners and hobbyist alike are loosing the battle against both local and federal law makers. Where else we can let our birds fly without violating laws. I guess we have go to Utah,Wyoming or Alaska.

Today I launch my Q500 4k bird in the air at Independence Grove, Libertyville Ilinois, I was on my second battery load winding down my flight when a Ranger police came and stated that I can not fly a drone on any forest preserved area. He said I have to get a permit and fly on their designated flying area for the model plane, I told him that drone is not model plane. It is for areal photography use. That spoils my fun. Did any one of encounter this problem. in your state. Any input out there..
hi
yes i have , i have been flying my Q ( and a lot of other people have also flown there ) at this park for years , no one at this park has ever even come to any of us and say boo about flying at this national park . last year as my wife were flying at this park , a park ranger came over to us and said " bring it down . you can't fly here " . after i landed and aproched her , in a low voice i said I have been flying here for years and in a nice voice she said " no you haven't " that was my Que to say i will pack up my gear and leave , not before the ranger asked me for my identification and took my name and address , not a fine but just a warring not to fly there any more . at that time it was just about the time the NFZ was going into effect .
fly safe

Last edited:
If National Forest is good how come Forest Preserve in bad, what is the difference between the two. True we have to check in with our local State Park, for regulation, in which i think they are just making it up. I think Local AMA should have some say about what ever regulation State will implement.

...I think Local AMA should have some say about what ever regulation State will implement.
That right there is FUNNY!!!

The AMA has ZERO interest in multirotors. The AMA has ZERO interest in RC hobby pilots flying anywhere BUT AMA sanctioned fields, requiring AMA Membership.

I don't know what a "Preserve" qualifies at, that is something you will have to do the leg work on your own. Always best to check the local reg before you go flying at a place, that way if you know there is no law on the books - publicly available - then you have a leg to stand on if an enforcement officer approaches you and says you can't/against the rules.

Be polite, courteous, and ask for detailed info so you may go educate yourself (revised statue/code number). DO NOT ENGAGE IN AN ARGUMENT!!! There is only one winner in that event, and it will not be you.

If an officer approaches you and says "Stop, you can't do that here", then you better plan on packing it in regardless of you know for a fact you can. Contact the officers chief and discuss it with them after you get home, citing statue or code number, and request that the field officers be informed that "x" place is OK to fly, no regs against it.

Thanks for the advice, it seems like drone owners and hobbyist alike are loosing the battle against both local and federal law makers. Where else we can let our birds fly without violating laws. I guess we have go to Utah,Wyoming or Alaska.
It is coming to that.

I've been putting money aside in anticipation of some advanced drone technology (the 'H'?) but I've just done something else with that money. I live in central New Jersey so what will I do with a sophisticate drone that I have no place to fly? Let it gather dust in a closet next to my .243 Remington that I have no place to shoot?

If I were younger I'd move out west, but at age 80 that wouldn't be so easy. I really envy you guys who live in or near the wide open spaces. Count your blessings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech