Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Got it! Should I calibrate or just fly it?

Rain stopped, sun came out. The H is extremely easy to fly. It responed well and even landed with no issues.
Sorry to threadjack, but may you please explain precisely how you landed? Angle? Obstacle avoidance status? Control stick action? Orientation of TH? Thanks.

Did you calibrate pointed toward true magnetic North?
True magnetic?? I think you must mean magnetic north or true north?

FWIW, I had no issues calibrating TH#1 and faced west and was near a metal garage door and had my mobile phone in my shirt pocket and lots of other metal on me. The only thing I thought would be nice is to have a second person around to tell me when the lights quit flashing. As I recall, sometimes it was 2 rotations and sometimes 3.

I find it odd that Yuneec does not mention in the quick start guide anything about calibration yet they have a video on it. Some say it's important and some think it's not. I'll probably calibrate TH#2 tomorrow before flying it but would like Yuneec to weigh in on this. Tim?

Rain stopped, sun came out. The H is extremely easy to fly. It responed well and even landed with no issues.
What I wanted to hear ! seems a lot of beginner issues along with some new item glitches. " Mind you all, I am not saying all crashes and issue have been ALL beginner"

Sorry to threadjack, but may you please explain precisely how you landed? Angle? Obstacle avoidance status? Control stick action? Orientation of TH? Thanks.

True magnetic?? I think you must mean magnetic north or true north?

FWIW, I had no issues calibrating TH#1 and faced west and was near a metal garage door and had my mobile phone in my shirt pocket and lots of other metal on me. The only thing I thought would be nice is to have a second person around to tell me when the lights quit flashing. As I recall, sometimes it was 2 rotations and sometimes 3.

I find it odd that Yuneec does not mention in the quick start guide anything about calibration yet they have a video on it. Some say it's important and some think it's not. I'll probably calibrate TH#2 tomorrow before flying it but would like Yuneec to weigh in on this. Tim?
Harvey, it was mentioned on one of the video tutorial to point true north when calibrating, I have never done that with my Phantoms though and no issues

Reactions: HarveyC
Harvey, it was mentioned on one of the video tutorial to point true north when calibrating, I have never done that with my Phantoms though and no issues
Odd, I watched it just before I calibrated and either missed that or forgot it.

Also ensure you are nowhere near any metal objects, even underground reinforcement. Remove anything metallic from your person especially your cell phone.
Nothing metal where I was. I even calibrated my phantom after tehklerrkr

Here you go:

I took it out of the foam box it came in. Plugged in the battery and controller to charge... BUT... The battery was at 100% and the controller at 75%, so I threw a bungiee chord around the foam case and headed to the nearest beach. Attempted to calibrate compass twice and both times the end result was a solid white light. So I knew that it takes a new calibration to replace an old one. Since my attempt never took, I knew it the defaulted to the original settings

Put on the props. Put it in Angle mode. Gave it some left stick and it smoothly took off. Then flew it in the standard square pattern to check to see if compass was fine and it was bang on... better than my Phantom!

Flew it in angle mode at max height then again buzzing along the ground at low height. Played with the gimbal in auto pan as I passed objects to see if it was as good as "Course Lock" on the Phantoms/Inspires and I can report that's pretty sweet. Tried a few POI's which are surprisingly different then how the POI operates from DJI.

Tried different camera settings. Had issues with camera video quality noted in a different post. I believe I've since resolved the issue.

Tried a RTH auto land. The gear comes down as soon as it's overhead. Landing was smooth. Tried my own landings on the ground and hand catching. You can't land fast as the H comes down way slower near the height it took off from. Lands very smooth on the ground. Like the DJI Phantoms you just hold the left stick down. When it's on the ground keep holding the left stick down then press the strar/stop button for a few seconds. If catching it in the air, just hover a foot above your head height. Let go of sticks, the hold a leg of the H, then with other hand press start/stop.

Reactions: HarveyC and Cilent1
Tried a RTH auto land. The gear comes down as soon as it's overhead. Landing was smooth. Tried my own landings on the ground and hand catching. You can't land fast as the H comes down way slower near the height it took off from. Lands very smooth on the ground. Like the DJI Phantoms you just hold the left stick down. When it's on the ground keep holding the left stick down then press the strar/stop button for a few seconds. If catching it in the air, just hover a foot above your head height. Let go of sticks, the hold a leg of the H, then with other hand press start/stop.
Thanks, what was your setting on obstacle avoidance when landing? Off?

This calibration is much easier than the 3dr Pixhawk external compass/ACCEL calibration.

Nothing metal where I was. I even calibrated my phantom after tehklerrkr

Here you go:

I took it out of the foam box it came in. Plugged in the battery and controller to charge... BUT... The battery was at 100% and the controller at 75%, so I threw a bungiee chord around the foam case and headed to the nearest beach. Attempted to calibrate compass twice and both times the end result was a solid white light. So I knew that it takes a new calibration to replace an old one. Since my attempt never took, I knew it the defaulted to the original settings

Put on the props. Put it in Angle mode. Gave it some left stick and it smoothly took off. Then flew it in the standard square pattern to check to see if compass was fine and it was bang on... better than my Phantom!

Flew it in angle mode at max height then again buzzing along the ground at low height. Played with the gimbal in auto pan as I passed objects to see if it was as good as "Course Lock" on the Phantoms/Inspires and I can report that's pretty sweet. Tried a few POI's which are surprisingly different then how the POI operates from DJI.

Tried different camera settings. Had issues with camera video quality noted in a different post. I believe I've since resolved the issue.

So after touching ground and holding left stick down for two seconds, you can't just let go of the stick and have it idle till you shut off?

So after touching ground and holding left stick down for two seconds, you can't just let go of the stick and have it idle till you shut off?
You could, but to avoid any type of input into the motors, I don't. My left hand easily can hold the left stick down while reaching with my finger to hit the kill switch.

Yes a lot more complex than any other drone. Seems very important needs to be facing North.

If that is the case and it's calibrated in the factory and uses north as its bearing then can see why you may not need to do and why they don't mention it.

The Phantom does not matter which direction your pointed so no need for a factory compass calibration.

Simon Newton did not do his and flew well of the box.

I have seen the q500 calibration and all say it needs to be pointed North, nothing about true North? Maybe the compass learns your magnetic offset.

I know the p3 compass did on my p3. Did 3 toilet bowel circles before it settled down. It worked out our magnetic declination.

Where does it say on the instruction about facing north? Will it fail if not? True Noth or Mag?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss