Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Got the DY5 charger today

Reaction score
Now that I had to send my C23 camera to service due to the gimbal shake after the update, I had two fully charged batteries and no reason to fly at all I decided to acquire the DY5 charger to be able to put my batteries into storage mode.

Charging is fast and it takes about an hour to fully charge two batteries from 50%, and you can visually monitor the cell balance.

full-charge.jpg

On the other hand, putting batteries onto storage mode is as easy as charging the just place the batteries in the charger and hold the tiny button for two seconds and the charger begins draining the batteries until each cell hit 3.85V. It took about 4 hours to discharge two fully charged batteries.

Attachments

• full-charge.jpg
    full-charge.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 43
Got mine this week also. Makes storage easy, and the speed it charges at, nice. Coming from RC Helis (which I haven’t flown in years), I have power inverters and chargers, but with these new proprietary battery designs, I took the easy road and opted for this instead. It’s plug and play simple, and provides adequate feedback. The only feature I would have liked to have had is the ability to monitor internal resistance within the cells.

Reactions: mbernholdt
Now that I had to send my C23 camera to service due to the gimbal shake after the update, I had two fully charged batteries and no reason to fly at all I decided to acquire the DY5 charger to be able to put my batteries into storage mode.

Charging is fast and it takes about an hour to fully charge two batteries from 50%, and you can visually monitor the cell balance.

full-charge.jpg

On the other hand, putting batteries onto storage mode is as easy as charging the just place the batteries in the charger and hold the tiny button for two seconds and the charger begins draining the batteries until each cell hit 3.85V. It took about 4 hours to discharge two fully charged batteries.
Ok, stupid questiong time: Coming from the Q500, I never had to worry about draining my batteries for "storage." With the H Plus batteries, when do they actually need to be drained? When I know I'm not going to fly for 2 days? 3 days? More? Less?

Ok, stupid questiong time: Coming from the Q500, I never had to worry about draining my batteries for "storage." With the H Plus batteries, when do they actually need to be drained? When I know I'm not going to fly for 2 days? 3 days? More? Less?
Lipo cells slowly die if they are stored at full change and good storage level is between 30 and 50 percent.

Personally if a flight is cancelled I put mine in storage and never leave them full for longer than 24 hours.

Been flying drones for 4 years professional now and never had a battery for bad or have to replace them. And with the DY5 charger it is just a matter of plugging in the charger and I don't have to fly the drone to drain the batteries.

Reactions: PhotoGuy
Lipo cells slowly die if they are stored at full change and good storage level is between 30 and 50 percent.

Personally if a flight is cancelled I put mine in storage and never leave them full for longer than 24 hours.

Been flying drones for 4 years professional now and never had a battery for bad or have to replace them. And with the DY5 charger it is just a matter of plugging in the charger and I don't have to fly the drone to drain the batteries.
Ah! Roger that. Thanks!

Reactions: mbernholdt
Anyone know if I can charge H+ batteries on a DY3 charger. There are pins in the middle instead of blades like on the DY5. I’m assuming not because of the voltage difference, but I have one along with my DY5 charger. This would be most helpful to be able to charge or discharge 4 at one time.

Anyone know if I can charge H+ batteries on a DY3 charger. There are pins in the middle instead of blades like on the DY5. I’m assuming not because of the voltage difference, but I have one along with my DY5 charger. This would be most helpful to be able to charge or discharge 4 at one time.

No you cannot... you will need to use the DY5 only.

Looking at what’s there on your floor, ya look like your busy. That’s awesome, the charger is too. Very simple to use too.

Aye yo! You’re in SC? I’m from Milpitas. But, yeah man, I shoot every day, starting in Treasure Island in the am and work my way down to Oakland, Fremont and Milpitas to San Jose.

Been the SC Mountains most of my life. Yeah sometimes it’s a small world. I’m no pro at flying but do play up in the mountains. I work over in San Jose. I do automotive interior refinishing for dealers.

Reactions: PhotoGuy
So I ordered two DY3 chargers, it should be here next Tuesday. Now hopefully my batteries will charge to 4.2v

So I ordered two DY3 chargers, it should be here next Tuesday. Now hopefully my batteries will charge to 4.2v

Did you order the DY3 or the DY5 chargers. I ask because the DY3 is strictly for the TH, and not the THP. The batteries are different, and are not interchangeable with the chargers.

To expand on that the TH uses 4S 14.8 volt Lipo packs
The THP uses 4S 15.2 volt LiHV cells.

Lipo full charge voltage is 4.20 volts per cell
LiHV full charge is 4.35 volts per cell.

You can charge a LiHV pack with a normal Lipo charger (DY3) but it will not fully charge it.
You CANNOT use a LiHV charger (DY5) on Lipos because it will overcharge the lipo by 0.15 volts per cell, which can be dangerous.

Did you order the DY3 or the DY5 chargers. I ask because the DY3 is strictly for the TH, and not the THP. The batteries are different, and are not interchangeable with the chargers.
This is currently for my H not the H+. My H+ should be here by summer.:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval