Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

GPS - improved reliability in H520?

Reaction score
Looking at the thread titled -
Amazing (TYPHOON H) Near Fatal Movie Set Crash

There were many replies indicating experience with GPS interference issues when flying next to a lot of metal, due to RF interference. However much of the early H520 market positioning videos indicate it is designed for close inspection duty, esp. with the E50 and Lumecube configuration.

My evaluation of this unit is for potential use in petrochemical refinery construction zones and or actual plants that are running online. This industrial environment has much use of the RF bands with instrumentation telemetry, radio communications etc, and often many large heavy lift cranes working, a lot of piping and the support racks are all metal etc.

One of the replies was very informative, download a pre-configured flight plan with waypoints designed for a programmed flight controlled mission.

Question: Does the H520 have a different and improved GPS antennae and or receiver chip set than from previous Yuneec configurations?

Yes, it's entirely different, and also gives altitude fix as well as longitude/latitude.

Assuming that the H520 FC is the PX4FMU - PX4FMU Autopilot / Flight Management Unit - Pixhawk Flight Controller Hardware Project
And that the GPS modules shown for this architecture are listed here - GPS Modules - Pixhawk Flight Controller Hardware Project

Obviously the H520 is in a class of it's own with autonomous flight capability by taking advantage of these sensors -
However none of the listed GPS receivers specify a GPS + GLONASS + Galileo capability. There are a couple of GNSS technology companies that list chips/receivers with these functions, for example - Trimble, Furuno & Maxim Integrated

Is there Yuneec documentation that specifies which GNSS chip vendor that they chose to implement?

A single chip GNSS receiver system with triple satellite positioning signal reception is much more cost effective than the DJI RTK approach even if it is not exactly apples to apples comparison, 1 receiver and antennae vs. dual receiver and antennae. If in fact the Yuneec approach offers better or equal positioning precision capability with the equal or better signal interference protection, then Yuneec is a winner due to cost of manufacturing reduction. And the consumers are winners with a highly accurate GNSS plus lower cost of ownership.

It will be interesting to confirm the H520 capability of being able to fly with GNSS control while positioned under bridges made of steel girders.

Thanks for any and all replies.

That page has been out of date for a long time, it's 2 or 3 years ago so as a base you can take it but not as a reference. Right now, if I'm not too old, the ublox M8 series is being used.

The ublox M8P is used for RTK and gives you an accuracy of 2-3cm and it's a lot cheaper than the DJI system. If we had detailed information of what is in the casings of the H520 you could see if it is a Ublox and be able to choose to update it even for RTK.

Every metal structure always makes screen, personally if it is in an area without wind I prefer more for manual flight.

I wouldn't be surprised if Yuneec in the advanced model released the RTK version.

I was doing some reading this weekend about rtk and the setting of ground points. I found the emlid rtk kit, which on its own look very nice, but then discovered they are using them with the px4 controller as a rover. I wonder if we will be able to use them with the h520 to get cm precision positioning when surveying?

I was doing some reading this weekend about rtk and the setting of ground points. I found the emlid rtk kit, which on its own look very nice, but then discovered they are using them with the px4 controller as a rover. I wonder if we will be able to use them with the h520 to get cm precision positioning when surveying?

Emlid are using the M8T version, there are similar solutions that use the M8P which seems a little more powerful. In any case, they are solutions based on Base and Rober systems. I think there should be no problem to implement it on the H520.

Using a GPS with RTK eliminates the use of GCPs which is a big advantage.

The u-blox ZOE M8B chips does actually support GPS, GLONASS & Galileo but at a trade off of increased power consumption due to Galileo needing to be monitored in continuous mode.
https://www.u-blox.com/sites/default/files/ZOE-M8B_ProductSummary_(UBX-17012173).pdf

It will be interesting to compare the Yuneec to a DJI M200, or S600, S900 or s1000 with RTK in auto return to landing pad accuracy. The obvious winner in H520 vs. M200 would be the H520 if there is even a 10mph or better wind present.

One might also wonder what navigation accuracy improvements might be realized if UTM becomes a standard option with these UAVs.

I am also curious as to what Yuneec states as X,Y,Z variances which they are able to achieve.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdvaikTasteofPurity