Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

GPS signal - more satellites fixed by drone than controller

RTH has nothing to do with the transmitter (controller) GPS. That is only used when doing follow me, etc. RTH uses the home location set when you started up the drone. If you did not see that message, then you do not have a RTH location.

You could tear the GPS out of the controller and it would have no affect on how anything about the drone worked.

That's not true. If the RTH is set for Dynamic then the controller has a lot to do with the RTH.

Some people have the misconception that our devices 'lock' GPS satellites. The Typhoon H and it's controller never 'lock' GPS satellites. Never have done and never will. What the TH does is 'see' satellites and use information from those satellites that it can. The number of satellites it can see can vary during the course of a flight so that satellites count that it can 'see' and use information from can increase and , more importantly, decrease and even diminish below the number needed for a satellite assisted flight. So they are never 'locked'.

However, in normal parlance, the word 'locked' when describing the number of satellites a unit can use is endemic even among professionals and, indeed, manufacturers, so it's use is certainly forgivable. I just thought it was important, though, to point out the distinction: Technically you never have GPS satellites 'locked'.

If I recall correctly, it says "Aquired" suffice to say it's aquired enough to make the necessary calculations.

Reactions: JackMTaco
That's not true. If the RTH is set for Dynamic then the controller has a lot to do with the RTH.

True. That is why I mentioned the "follow me". But most people are not wandering around and even with dynamic the error of having few satellites would still allow it to come back close enough for you to deal with it.

Reactions: JackMTaco
Humans are also great at blocking 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz signals as well.

Indeed, water is very effective at blocking higher frequency radio signals. Just for conversational purposes, it requires just a thin layer of sweat to block airport and vehicle inspection scanners.

OK thanks for your reply. It is an issue if return to home malfunctions because the location of the ST16 is indeterminate

No, it’s not as the H will remember and return to the last known position fix of the TX if RF link is lost. Problems with RTH occurs when ALL GPS and the C2 link is lost.

Reactions: Phaedrus
Indeed, water is very effective at blocking higher frequency radio signals. Just for conversational purposes, it requires just a thin layer of sweat to block airport and vehicle inspection scanners.

People need to keep this in mind as well if they like to skim the waves with their drones. Water absorbs and scatters 2.4GHz RF.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss