Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

GUI

Reaction score
I called Yuneec today to get the NFZ waiver, but the waiver requires the Vehicle ID Number which you can only retrieve by using GUI. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program, uninstalled the Virtual Driver and reinstalled it but this **** thing will not connect!!!! What am I doing wrong? I had it connected once when I first got it and it worked fine. I'm at a loss at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did a search but I have done everything that was in those threads already.

Thanks,
Chad

Hey Chad. What computer and OS do you use? (W7, W10?)
What exact procedure do you try? Step by step...

Hey Chad. What computer and OS do you use? (W7, W10?)
What exact procedure do you try? Step by step...

I am on Windows 10, I have installed the x64 driver that GUI comes with. Then restarted my computer, turned on the Typhoon and then plugged in the USB to the computer and drone. I see that I am getting an Unknown USB device (device descriptor request failed) under System >USB Controllers. Also, I'm noticing I have no COM Port option available in the GUI software under file>Settings.

Last edited:
OK, it's a driver issue. usually the GUI installs a driver, I'm not sure why you had to do that.

Tell you what, tell Windows to uninstall the GUI program. After it is uninstalled, re-install it from your Downloads, and see if it will take care of a driver on its own. I don't even think it's necessary to restart the computer. Ignore a later option to choose a driver. Misleading.

I tried that just now and still nothing!!! I'm about to throw this **** drone through a wall!! I've been at this for over 2 hours now and nothing is working!! ugh!! Time to take a break!! Thanks for trying though.

Doggone, sorry. Unless W10 or an anti-virus program is refusing to let it install, I've run out of ideas.
By and by, maybe a member will have the answer.

EDIT: Recap...be sure ST16 is OFF. Plug micro USB into bottom of drone securely, NOT the camera.
Start the program on computer. Start the drone, then plug the other end of USB cable into computer, direct - do not use a USB multiplier device. The computer should start searching for the driver. Be patient, this may take a couple minutes. If nothing, remove the cable from computer, and see what drivers are offered from the GUI program.

Be sure Windows or a Anti-virus program is not the culprit.
Plan B: try a different computer. Plan C: forget the whole thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try using the Windows Event Viewer to check the Windows Logs, specifically the Application and System logs. After selecting the respective log in Event Viewer, right-click on the log name and select "Filter Current Log", and check just the checkboxes for Critical, Error and Warning events. See if there is anything in there related to the installation of the driver or the GUI application itself.

I have been able to get my GUI working only 3 times, then it fails to connect again late on. This is not a unique problem; it may be a Yuneec problem.

I've talked with them twice about this, gone through the steps as per their on-the-phone instructions as I went through them, and both times it would work then but not work days later. I eventually just gave up on it.

And it can't be a hardware problem, either. I've used the 3 laptops I have - all on Windows 10 - and nada with all 3.

If there is an answer, I'll be watching eagerly for it.

Well I tried a different computer running windows 7 and got the same result. I have a ticket into Yuneec but I'm giving up until I hear from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I tried a different computer running windows 7 and got the same result. I have a ticket into Yuneec but I'm giving up until I hear from them.

Good luck. Like I said, I tried Yuneec twice step-by-step via the phone and had no lasting luck.

Also, at some point I was told by another Forum member having the same GUI issues to download a driver patch through the company that designed the driver (SMS Electronics or something like that. I still have the patch in my saved downloads) and so I tried that approach, too. Again, it worked after I initially installed the patch and I thought the problem was solved. But the very next time I tried to connect it to my Typhoon it was a no go once again.

If you find a solution to this stubborn problem, please post it here. I'd love to have the answer, too, and be able to enjoy the benefits the GUI offers to all H pilots.

Sounds more and more like Windows OS problems.

You could very well be right, as nothing else suggested to me so far makes clear sense to me about this problem or has solved it. I was told to try different cables, different computers, different connection procedures, re-install the interface and more, all of which I did with no positive results. Yuneec did delve into the OS as a possible problem to the extent that they could. I volunteered for them to take remote access of my computers to see if they could figure something out that way, but I was told they didn't have that capability.

So I've been stymied for over 2 months, since I got my Typhoon in mid-December 2016. To make matters worse, I come from a Mac background and have only switched over to Windows within the last year or so due to business reasons, just in time for the Window 10 conversion and its inherent problems. So I am not a Windows OS wizard by no stretch of the imagination.

I'll take any help I can get with this and am open to all viable possibilities. And I'm not alone out here, either. Other H pilots have had the same woes. My mind tells me it has to be something obvious that is being overlooked, but my patience has not allowed me to find out just what that might be.

You could very well be right, as nothing else suggested to me so far makes clear sense to me about this problem or has solved it. I was told to try different cables, different computers, different connection procedures, re-install the interface and more, all of which I did with no positive results. Yuneec did delve into the OS as a possible problem to the extent that they could. I volunteered for them to take remote access of my computers to see if they could figure something out that way, but I was told they didn't have that capability.

So I've been stymied for over 2 months, since I got my Typhoon in mid-December 2016. To make matters worse, I come from a Mac background and have only switched over to Windows within the last year or so due to business reasons, just in time for the Window 10 conversion and its inherent problems. So I am not a Windows OS wizard by no stretch of the imagination.

I'll take any help I can get with this and am open to all viable possibilities. And I'm not alone out here, either. Other H pilots have had the same woes. My mind tells me it has to be something obvious that is being overlooked, but my patience has not allowed me to find out just what that might be.

There is an error under Systems>Universal Serial Bus which I've seen on 2 different computers and operating systems. I also went to the driver manufactures website but couldn't find ****. It seemed pretty disorganized. Luckily Yuneec is only about an hour and a half away so if I have to I'll take my drone up there and have them figure it out. I also tried different cables and that didn't work either.

There is an error under Systems>Universal Serial Bus which I've seen on 2 different computers and operating systems. I also went to the driver manufactures website but couldn't find ****. It seemed pretty disorganized. Luckily Yuneec is only about an hour and a half away so if I have to I'll take my drone up there and have them figure it out. I also tried different cables and that didn't work either.

Yep, saw the same errors here, too. And I agree with your assessment of the driver manufacturer's website. Not a lot of help.

Again, I wish you good luck. Being so close by to Yuneec should help out a lot. If you can throw anything of value that you may learn my way (and others), I'd really appreciate it. I'd like to get EVERYTHING I paid for when I made my Typhoon purchase, same as everybody else.

Well I got my waiver! I called Yuneec customer service They sent me the waiver form along with an instructional PDF on how to get the vehicle identification number from the computer. It is not the same number that is printed on the outside of the drone. Just follow the directions in order and you will be successful. One thing I found a little hard to do is to have the cable inserted into the drone, drone powered on before connecting to the computer. The computer must be running the update program as well. Also you do have to go into calibration mode to see if the firmware install took place. If it did you will see the option to turn off the FAA restrictions in the menu, select restrictions off. If it did all you have to do is to power down and reboot and then be sure you clear the data from the controller and then DO NOT forget to recalibrate.

You absolutely must use the Typhoon cable that came with your "H". I think it has a "Dongle" or special wiring for it to work. I have auto and spectrum analyzers that require the use of the special cables for them to work.

In my windows 10 I had to run it in compatibility mode for win 7, try to run it in administrator mode ("Run as administrator") and see if that helps.

I will try admin mode and compatibility mode but one OS I tried it on was win7. If Admin mode doesn't work then I'm taking a drive tomorrow.

Reactions: CC Rider

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval