Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H Plus Video Recording Malfunction...

Reaction score
I hope this post finds everyone well in these trying times.

I received a new H Plus from Vertigo and flying seems to be great. However, I'm having a problem with the video recording: some videos record and others don't. What happens is the video button on-screen gets stuck and doesn't respond - I can't stop recording. Manual button doesn't work either when this occurs. Have to stop by shutting off both controller and drone, but then lose the video. Those files are corrupt. I'll lose video feed too. Happens whether close or far. Still photos come out fine - when I can snap them. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Thanks!

Thanks

Probably something is wrong with the 5.8 GHz antenna on the remote or in the camera.

Do you still have video feed on the screen when this malfunction occurs?

Can you make a still picture by pressing the button until video is recorded?

Sometimes I have a feed and sometimes not. I can't take a picture when this happens either! :-(

5.8 WiFi link has a problem. Better is to ask the seller how to be. Don't use it for now because some of the WiFi cards will be burned out. On the remote you're using patch antenna or a mushroom like one?

Reactions: DoomMeister
At what distance are you losing video feed? What configuration do you have the antennas in on your ST16S?
If using the mushroom (omnidirectional) antenna it needs to be positioned so it looks like it just growing out of the ground.
C3FA4ADA-030E-4E9A-9980-B1C4032B04BE.jpeg

If you are using the patch (flat directional) antenna you need to point the flat surface at the aircraft all of the time.
9255B6CF-802C-491B-B1D6-5B8EB4D49AD1.jpeg

The wand antennas should be positioned as shown so the plane they are in is perpendicular to the ground and at 90 degrees to each other.

5.8 WiFi link has a problem. Better is to ask the seller how to be. Don't use it for now because some of the WiFi cards will be burned out. On the remote you're using patch antenna or a mushroom like one?
It is the standard mushroom antenna. Would it make a difference with the other one?

At what distance are you losing video feed? What configuration do you have the antennas in on your ST16S?
If using the mushroom (omnidirectional) antenna it needs to be positioned so it looks like it just growing out of the ground.
View attachment 27621

If you are using the patch (flat directional) antenna you need to point the flat surface at the aircraft all of the time.
View attachment 27622

The wand antennas should be positioned as shown so the plane they are in is perpendicular to the ground and at 90 degrees to each other.
Thank you for that info I'll try it! I had the mushroom pointed at the aircraft and the antennas similar, but never had this problem before with my other H Plus (lost in crash).

Do you use the same controller? If yes, the problem is in the camera RF module or their antenna. These antennas have a breakable earth solder jointing.

Do you use the same controller? If yes, the problem is in the camera RF module or their antenna. These antennas have a breakable earth solder jointing.
I am using the new outfit with the new controller. It's a brand new kit so I don't see why this would be happening.

Have you tried a different SD card in the camera? I know that sounds strange, but if the camera is struggling with the SD card, it results in strange things happening. Even if you have been using the same card with no problems earlier, a card can go bad at any time. Are you using the SD card that was in the crashed camera? Have you tried other cards?

It would be good to know if lowering the video resolution settings will change anything.

It would be good to know if you have tried the original controller with the new drone/camera to possibly eliminate the controller as a possible cause.

Will the original camera still power up enough to compare?

Have you tried a different SD card in the camera? I know that sounds strange, but if the camera is struggling with the SD card, it results in strange things happening. Even if you have been using the same card with no problems earlier, a card can go bad at any time. Are you using the SD card that was in the crashed camera? Have you tried other cards?

It would be good to know if lowering the video resolution settings will change anything.

It would be good to know if you have tried the original controller with the new drone/camera to possibly eliminate the controller as a possible cause.

Will the original camera still power up enough to compare?
I actually just changed out the SD card to test, in case this was in fact causing the problem. Was using a Sandisk Ultra 64GB and just put in the "Industrial" 32GB SD card included with the new kit. I will fly out tomorrow at the same spot and post. I'm not able to use anything from the crashed unit as everything was destroyed, including the camera and SD. Haven't tried the original controller yet, but that sounds like an idea too. Is it problematic to switch these controllers out, pairing up back and forth, etc?

Reactions: WTFDproject
I actually just changed out the SD card to test, in case this was in fact causing the problem. Was using a Sandisk Ultra 64GB and just put in the "Industrial" 32GB SD card included with the new kit. I will fly out tomorrow at the same spot and post. I'm not able to use anything from the crashed unit as everything was destroyed, including the camera and SD. Haven't tried the original controller yet, but that sounds like an idea too. Is it problematic to switch these controllers out, pairing up back and forth, etc?
Also, as mentioned earlier, I'm going to try the flat patch antenna too. Perhaps there is some newly-planted high power wiFi interfence in this location that I can't see? Nothing has visibly changed, but I guess could be hiding in somebody's house or elsewhere...

Haven't tried the original controller yet, but that sounds like an idea too. Is it problematic to switch these controllers out, pairing up back and forth, etc?
These are the binding instructions from the HPlus manual. It's not very difficult.
HPlus Binding.jpg (Also see the modified version sent via PM.)

Does distance between camera and controller seem to affect how often the problem occurs?

Last edited:
WTFDproject moderator had a good suggestion of switching the card. I have heard this recommendation before from several different people. Some also recommended lower capacity 16 mb cards. I had the same problem with my H+ and finally switched to the patch antenna exclusively. Not sure why the mushroom works on my H520 with rock solid video at 1 mile distance but not with the H+. Good luck!!!

Very interesting. I will try the other antenna. I didn't have this problem with my other H Plus.
Try to say one more time, probably this will be the last try. Patch or mushroom antenna are different about the direction diagram but this is not important in your case. A lot of mushroom antennas has a problem with the soldering joint on the shield part of the coaxial cable and the holder of the antenna elements. The joint is simply broken. Sometimes there has contact, sometimes has not. The capacity of the antenna prevents the power amplifier to be burned out but the efficiency of transmitting is lowed a lot. The camera has the same type of antenna with the same problem.

This is an example of what @Vaklin is referring to.
215F13E9-5172-4FF1-A9AB-696C59BC9317.jpeg
If you look at where the co-ax cable meets the solder filet the shielding is broken and makes poor contact. This results in a high SWR (standing wave ratio) and intermittent loss of continuity as cable gets flexed.

Experimentation with different antenna and ground station can help identify the problem area. Camera, antenna on ground station, or WiFi card in the ground station.

These are the binding instructions from the HPlus manual. It's not very difficult.
View attachment 27629 (Also see the modified version sent via PM.)

Does distance between camera and controller seem to affect how often the problem occurs?
Thanks very much for those instructions! It will help a lot. The problem occurs regardless of the distance.

Try to say one more time, probably this will be the last try. Patch or mushroom antenna are different about the direction diagram but this is not important in your case. A lot of mushroom antennas has a problem with the soldering joint on the shield part of the coaxial cable and the holder of the antenna elements. The joint is simply broken. Sometimes there has contact, sometimes has not. The capacity of the antenna prevents the power amplifier to be burned out but the efficiency of transmitting is lowed a lot. The camera has the same type of antenna with the same problem.
That info has indeed worried me and I hope there is no further damage to either unit if that is the case with the soldering joints. I contacted the seller but haven't yet heard back. I'd hate to have to go through returning this thing!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss